jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
No options on headlights.

As already stated - 15-17 models have Xenon HIDs and 18+ is LED.

However a difference in headlights is the export version of the 15-17 does have the tri bars in the headlights but they aren't illuminated. How Ford figured that should be the way to go must be a forever mystery.

Also a minor difference in the 18+ headlights is the US model has orange reflectors while the exports has white.
Also, at least on my 21 GT Premium, above the orange reflector on the inside is a small Pony. I found out when I was washing the car one day, it's kinda subtle, but thought it was cool that Ford did that. I really like and feel it is a nice touch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I can tell you from experience that if your stock bulb is 35 watts and you install 55 watts it will cause damage in the long term. Ask me how I know.
from experience

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
from experience
yup, I had 55 watts hid on my Honda Accord and after 18 months I had to replace the whole headlight as the lense show burns and cracks from where the light beam was the strongest. Each headlight cost $700, it was an expensive lesson. Then I switched to 35 watts when I got my new headlights. I ran 35 watts I didn’t have to use a harness as it didn’t tax the stock wires. When I had the 55 watts I had to run a harness and sometimes it gave me issues. I had the morimotos I ran those for 6 years whiteout any issues and they function as stock since I didn’t have to use the hardness

92AE834B-7DF3-402F-8807-6FBF560FD084.jpeg

4B22C1C3-5A57-4355-94D9-0BB3777C2691.jpeg

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Also, at least on my 21 GT Premium, above the orange reflector on the inside is a small Pony. I found out when I was washing the car one day, it's kinda subtle, but thought it was cool that Ford did that. I really like and feel it is a nice touch.
Fondly known as an "Easter egg".
On some earlier models there was a pony emblam molded into the underside of the hood under the insulation.
The start button flashef mimicking a horse heartbeat.
There are more that you can find in a thread on here somewhere.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I can tell you from experience that if your stock bulb is 35 watts and you install 55 watts it will cause damage in the long term. Ask me how I know.
In an HID system, the bulb is not the determining factor like a standard halogen system from a power output perspective. The ballast controls the power supplied to the bulb. If you put "55w HID bulbs" in your car, it would change basically nothing. If you put 55W ballasts, that would be when you needed to look into a harness and a dedicated power supply. that being said, installing a 55w ballast is not practical, as any kits you may find that claim to be plug and play including a 55w ballast for our cars would likely be cheap chinese junk and not worth the cost. I haven't seen how the ballast mounts on the mustangs, but on my F150 it was mounted directly to the cover on the headlight assembly itself and not something easily swapped due to size and shape related mounting constraints.

there are options for changing bulbs to get different color temperatures, just keep in mind the higher color temperature, the less usable light output is available. OEM should be 4300k. I find 5000k best for my eyes at night. Any more than that and it starts to get blue, which reduces visibility. Also keep in mind that OEM branded bulbs (Osram, Philips, etc) quality will far outweigh any aftermarket brand (morimoto, xenon depot, etc).

And yes, I do realize this is an old thread. Since people like to harp on others for not using the search function, I figured I would respond to clear up some information.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
yup, I had 55 watts hid on my Honda Accord and after 18 months I had to replace the whole headlight as the lense show burns and cracks from where the light beam was the strongest. Each headlight cost $700, it was an expensive lesson. Then I switched to 35 watts when I got my new headlights. I ran 35 watts I didn’t have to use a harness as it didn’t tax the stock wires. When I had the 55 watts I had to run a harness and sometimes it gave me issues. I had the morimotos I ran those for 6 years whiteout any issues and they function as stock since I didn’t have to use the hardness

92AE834B-7DF3-402F-8807-6FBF560FD084.jpeg

4B22C1C3-5A57-4355-94D9-0BB3777C2691.jpeg
I'm assuming those were in either a halogen reflector or halogen projector? Halogen headlights are not designed to withstand HID bulbs and will eventually lead to problems. Even halogen projectors you can burn the bowl and end up with poor output.
Sponsored