Headlight help mustang gt premium 2017

Carlo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2017
Hey guys one of my headlights is not working, the fuse box was missing the fuse 33 for the pilot headlight, the turning signals and the 3 little stripes would work, but not the main light. When I put the fuse(20 amp) the light turns on for like 30 seconds even tho the lights were suppose to be off and Im not able to control that light. It just stays on and then goes off again, if I remove the fuse and put it back it will turn back on but in those 30 seconds I canā€™t turn the light off/on although Iā€™m able to change between high and low beam. Thanks for the help
Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Welcome to the Forum! It would help if you provide us with more information about which Mustang you have including year and trim.

OP
OP
Carlo

Carlo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2017
Welcome to the Forum! It would help if you provide us with more information about which Mustang you have including year and trim.
Thank you man, appreciate it, itā€™s a mustang gt premium 2017, I just bought it a couple days ago and the light came like that

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
Sounds like Iā€™d take it back to where you bought it. They canā€™t sell you a car without working headlights. Unless they did their own ā€œDOT safety inspectionā€ and passed it. Unless you bought it from a private buyer.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome. :fistbump:

Has the car been modded? Is it stock? History? Miles and # of Owners? Answering these questions can provide areas of interest needing further investigation.

Did you buy this car from a dealer? If so, agree with @Dyimon08 : return the car and discuss with them. When taking back, simply tell them you noticed the light/s not working. Do not discuss your attempted checks with the fuses. If you do, that gives them a pass to back out of anything resembling responsibility.

Headlights that don't work or work incorrectly is a DOT issue. Read up on CA policies and your rights, if they push back. And let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP I agree with @Dyimon08 take it back to where you purchased the vehicle from and try to get them to deal with it. @Carlo did you have a pre purchase inspection done on the car when you bought it? Welcome to the forum.

If nothing else, I would simply get a headlight housing off eBay and change it out yourself. It is pretty easy if you are somewhat handy (can handle removing some nuts & bolts/disconnecting wire connectors). Honesty I could walk you through the process or there are plenty of Youtube Video tutorials on how to do that that are easy to follow.

OP
OP
Carlo

Carlo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2017
Sounds like Iā€™d take it back to where you bought it. They canā€™t sell you a car without working headlights. Unless they did their own ā€œDOT safety inspectionā€ and passed it. Unless you bought it from a private buyer.
Unfortunately I bought from an auction place, I take a mechanic and he said that everything looks good, the car was crashed on the side but it was repair and get a rebuilt title. today I try with a different light bulb and it was the same result, it goes on as soon as I put the fuse in, but Iā€™m not able to controI it, and then goes off again, think is going to be something electrical.

OP
OP
Carlo

Carlo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2017
OP I agree with @Dyimon08 take it back to where you purchased the vehicle from and try to get them to deal with it. @Carlo did you have a pre purchase inspection done on the car when you bought it? Welcome to the forum.

If nothing else, I would simply get a headlight housing off eBay and change it out yourself. It is pretty easy if you are somewhat handy (can handle removing some nuts & bolts/disconnecting wire connectors). Honesty I could walk you through the process or there are plenty of Youtube Video tutorials on how to do that that are easy to follow.
Unfortunately I bought from an auction place, I take a mechanic and he said that everything looks good, the car was crashed on the side but it was repair and get a rebuilt title. today I try with a different light bulb and it was the same result, it goes on as soon as I put the fuse in, but Iā€™m not able to controI it, and then goes off again, think is going to be something electrical. Iā€™d probably try with the headlight housing, thank you

OP
OP
Carlo

Carlo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2017
Welcome. :fistbump:

Has the car been modded? Is it stock? History? Miles and # of Owners? Answering these questions can provide areas of interest needing further investigation.

Did you buy this car from a dealer? If so, agree with @Dyimon08 : return the car and discuss with them. When taking back, simply tell them you noticed the light/s not working. Do not discuss your attempted checks with the fuses. If you do, that gives them a pass to back out of anything resembling responsibility.

Headlights that don't work or work incorrectly is a DOT issue. Read up on CA policies and your rights, if they push back. And let us know what happens.
Unfortunately I bought from an auction place, I take a mechanic and he said that everything looks good, the car was crashed on the side but it was repair and get a rebuilt title. today I try with a different light bulb and it was the same result, it goes on as soon as I put the fuse in, but Iā€™m not able to controI it, and then goes off again, think is going to be something electrical. Iā€™d look about the dot issue, thank you manšŸ™šŸ»

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
So you're not only dealing with the initial damage, but the quality of repairs to get it to auction.

I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to seek out someone good with electrical systems and electronics.

Best scenario: it's simple fix, like a damaged connector or a short that was missed during repairs.

Good Luck. :please:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Unfortunately I bought from an auction place, I take a mechanic and he said that everything looks good, the car was crashed on the side but it was repair and get a rebuilt title. today I try with a different light bulb and it was the same result, it goes on as soon as I put the fuse in, but Iā€™m not able to controI it, and then goes off again, think is going to be something electrical. Iā€™d probably try with the headlight housing, thank you
Yes definitely try replacing the headlight assembly. It could be something wonky within the housing that is shorting out and turning off the headlight bulb.

Your story about the car being a rebuilt title and purchased it from an auction makes a lot of sense now. This isnā€™t the typical buyers method so Iā€™d like to add a few more questions for you and your mechanic to discuss:

Itā€™s a rebuilt title, what was the extent of the initial damage to the car and who did the work fixing the car to warrant a rebuilt title being issued? There is a big difference between getting a car fixed correctly after an accident (using quality parts and testing methods) and slapping parts back together as cheap as possible to push through the requirements of obtaining a rebuilt title only to dump the car at auction shortly after and make it someone elseā€™s problem.

Get your mechanic to hook up a real scan tool to the car - something like an Autel scanner that can thoroughly test systems with bidirectional testing capabilities, not just some cheaper scan tool from AutoZone that will only look for codes - and have your guy analyze the car and collect all of the faults that show up. Have him scan the car while driving too to see the live data feeds and interpret the numbers on what they mean. You need to get an accurate picture of what is all wrong with the vehicle. You said the headlight isnā€™t working, have you noticed anything else electrical going wonky at all? Radio, sensors, cruise control, literally anything that would be controlled by the computer module. Could be a sign of larger issues.

Are there modifications on the car that the previous owner did? This will require a skilled eye, personally I know S550 mustangs so well that I can simply look at a mustang and tell if there are engine mods, exhaust mods, even cosmetic upgradesā€¦ I have two 2016 mustangs completely stock like how the engineers designed the car and I also work on friendā€™s mustangs spanning the entire 2015-2023 years. For you, check the common areas for mods like the engine bay for possible tunes or upgrades. Find out what all has been replaced on the car, then check to see if they were replaced correctly.

I hope your problem is as simple as changing the headlight assembly, but when it comes to electrical stuff that is a whole new level. Your mechanic would not be able to check for all this at an auction yard, there just isnā€™t time/resources to do that; but now that the car is yours gets him to do the correct due diligence.
Sponsored