Sponsored

Haven't Been on Lately - Here's Why...

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I don't know if you guys have noticed or not but I haven't been on here much this month. Well, I have a solid reason for that. Those that really know me, know that my truck is my baby. It is the one sole possession I cherish more than anything in the world. I will do anything to make sure that she stays in my possession for the rest of my life, only for my child to pass on for generations. Yes, I love it that much. Like I said, my Ranger is my baby.

I can't tell you how much I wanted 2013 to be over. Just about everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong.

And then, with one hour left in the year, the period was added to the end of the novel that was 2013. I was driving in Raleigh, following my friend in his GTI, and we were going to a party. I was heading down Wade Ave. and I was being followed by a Jeep Liberty and a Honda Civic. The light was red and I came to a nice, careful, complete stop. The light is about to turn green and in the mirror I see headlights coming in at full speed. I didn't even know what to say when I saw the lights, all I could think about was that I needed to hold on and pay close attention to what is about to happen next.

Crunch... owwwwww........ CRUNCH.... AAAAHhhhhhaAAAAhhh

The girl in the Jeep was on her phone, checking her navigation. Completely distracted. And her friend was right behind her in the Civic, which caused the second crunch. After the second crunch I find myself lunging forward at roughly 15-20 MPH right towards my friend's GTI. I swerve right as soon as I assessed the immediate situation and I missed clipping him by about a foot.

Overall the accident wasn't too bad, the Ranger took the worst blow while showing the smallest, IMO. The frame looked straight at the scene and the entire underside was in tact. The Jeep took a pretty good beating, but the Civic was absolutely gone. the entire front structure collapsed on the driver's side and there was a can-opener effect with the height of the Jeep's bumper relative to the height of the Civic's hood. The girl in the Civic had to go to the hospital to get checked out, the girl in the Jeep had a few bruises, and I walked away with a headache and a stiff neck.

BTW, this girl was beyond stupid. She immediately admitted fault, called her mom a bitch over the phone, and said this: "Oh my God, I can see my breath. IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME???" No idiot, it's cold outside. I swear, if she wasn't hot I would have decked her. I honestly don't know what I would have done if my best friend wasn't there to calm me down. I was so pissed that I was shaking, which made me fail a field sobriety test. Don't worry, I blew a .00 on the breathalyzer.

Below is the Ranger, where the bed hit the cab, and the other two cars.

DeLone was towed away that night, and the new year struck on the drive home. I cried later on before going to bed, thinking I may not have my little red Ranger anymore. Yeah, I said it.

Two days later I was diagnosed with a neck sprain and a concussion, because of the violent back-and-forth motions of my head from being hit twice. For those that have had a concussion before, you know how much it sucks. For those that haven't, you don't want one. The constant headaches, impaired speech (I was stuttering for nearly two weeks), constant dizziness, and my inability to spell the simplest words right toped off the list of symptoms. The doctor was kind enough to prescribe me some high-strength pain killers to help with the overall body pain. My dad is a chiropractor, so I should be good on the back treatment.

The following Monday (the 6th) is when we went to go pick up the Ranger from the lot, as it is still drivable. We had to wait this long because it took State Farm this long to complete their investigation and admit fault. All because that idiot in the Jeep started lying about what really happened. God, that whole week I was regretting not taking her home right from the get-go. I missed my baby so much. But that moment was short-lived, as she had to be parked until the insurance appraiser came out to see it. They promised to come that same week on Friday, but they never showed up. The next day on Saturday I went into the oil change place I work at to get an oil change and put it up on a lift to fully investigate the frame. Everything checked out just fine. It sat for over another week except for a short drive around the neighborhood to keep the fluids fresh and to avoid flat spots on the tires. Finally, just this last Wednesday, those a$$holes at State Farm FINALLY came to check out the truck, eleven days later than they promised.

So this whole thing has been an ordeal, along with the new semester starting at school and starting back at my real job at Hertz Equipment Rental.

But now I finally get to drive my baby.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Sorry to hear about the truck.

I had a 1995 Ranger, two-tone, green with a gray lower half. Extended cab, 4.0 V6 (not the best engine ever, but was awesome in that truck), stick shift. It was a strange one, with a sport suspension from the factory, wide tires, nice wheels. Bought it new in 1996 for a great deal because it had been sitting on the lot for so long. I really miss it.

I hope you are able to get yours fixed up nicely. I really wish Ford would someday bring back a nice compact pickup.

-T

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Thanks for sharing your story and your passion Thed. I hope you get your health, passion, and Ranger all back to where they belong.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Thanks guys. I will guarantee you this, that ass end will look better than ever before.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thed, that sucks to hear about your Ranger, but glad that both the truck and your health are intact. Your love for it really comes through, let's see some pictures when it gets all fixed up.

Sponsored

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't know what's worse, some idiot crashing into your car or having to deal with a$$hole insurance companies afterwards. Good you weren't seriously injured.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Thed, that sucks to hear about your Ranger, but glad that both the truck and your health are intact. Your love for it really comes through, let's see some pictures when it gets all fixed up.
I'll be making a rebuild thread. All of the work will be done by me sans the painting.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Best of luck to you in healing up and getting your truck back to tip-top shape. Sorry you had a such a rough end to your 2013. Man.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Glad to hear that you are okay. Everyone always says it but things can be replaced whereas you cannot.

I wish you a speedy recovery and that you are able to get your Ranger back into shape.

Sponsored

Typhoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' Typhoon, 16' WRX
damn, that sucks alot. I am sorry that happened to your pride and joy. My friend had the same issue with State Farm when he had the wheels stolen off of his STi.

Be careful with concussions, they can last longer then you think. Have you go to follow up testing to see how you have been progressing? I have heard in some case symptoms lasting months (which suck when you have school). Everyone's body heals at different rates. I am sure they told you how much rest the brain needs after sustaining and impact strong enough to cause a concussion.

Glad you are ok.

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Sorry about your truck, but I would have thought the older Ranger was the one you were talking about! Guess we can't pick the cars that tug our heart strings the most!

A couple things from your story, I think the Civic took the worst of it, not your truck. And two, I think you failed the road side sobriety because of the concussion, not rage. Be careful, head injuries are no joke.

Best of luck in '14!

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Sorry about your truck, but I would have thought the older Ranger was the one you were talking about! Guess we can't pick the cars that tug our heart strings the most!
True that.

A couple things from your story, I think the Civic took the worst of it, not your truck. And two, I think you failed the road side sobriety because of the concussion, not rage. Be careful, head injuries are no joke.
Personally, I think the Civic just showed the worst of it. The Ranger doesn't have any crumple zones like newer cars. The only part of the truck that is actually designed to collapse is the front 8" of the frame. Those two are supposed to give to absorb the impact, whereas the truck has a chrome bumper bolted straight to the frame. If the truck remained stationary during the second impact instead of jolting forward like it did, I think I would be looking for a new truck right now.

But yes, head injuries are in fact no joke. I'll be going to get tested again in the near future, as I still have some bad headaches.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
State Farm called and made an offer for the Ranger. It was a fair offer and it'll be enough to fix up both of the trucks. The injury claim is yet to be filed.

Unfortunately, DeLone will now have a salvage title.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Oh, there was one other tidbit of info I forgot to add.

That Jeep Liberty was her Christmas present.
Sponsored