Sponsored

Have a custom sub box? How is it anchored down? Post pics.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The seats can be folded down, just like in a VW Golf. So it should be of concern.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
nah. go with the flow. if they bust past those 2 seats, it has to go through the front 2 seats as well. it simply isnt happening. the force from hitting/breaking through those rear seats would eliminate all the power of the box moving forward. simply isnt a concern. a unmounted box is just fine as well as mounted. imo

if it was a hatchback with no divider, mounted could be beneficial however in the mustang, its perfectly safe.

If you was to get hit hard enough for a like 30-40lb box to fly through a set of seats, (not slide) because it would slide, not fly. then you are dead anyway from the impact of a semi smashing into you at 100+ mph from dead stop would probably be the force needed to do what you are stating.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Well, that accident was with a speed of around 70 km/h (around 43 mph).
The subwoofer was press fitted between seats and closed boot opening, so according to the guy that had that accident the subwoofer couldn't move in the trunk.
Now i don't want to know what will happen if you driver with double that speed which will quadruple the kinetic energy of that subwoofer box in case of an accident compared to the energy that was released in that accident. The seat latches wont hold the weight in this case. They are just not strong enough.

Don't underestimate the kinetic energy that heavy objects can generate in case you decelerate to almost a dead stop within a second (like in an accident).

http://h-3.abload.de/img/umfallmithutablage3jwq3eb7.jpg

Someone calculated that the kinetic energy of a first aid kit equals around 25kg in case of an accident with around 40km/h (25mph).

Don't get me wrong. If that box in the pictures had a wedge shape it wouldn't have been so severe, but still... better tie it down somehow than being sorry later.
I also do not understand why the Mustang doesn't have some lashing eyes on the sides of the trunk. Would make it far easier to secure things that people might have in their trunks, especially if they're heavy.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Very informative.

Random- Made in USA, the product did its job! CRUNCH

umfallmithutablage3jwq3eb7.jpg

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@FreePenguin That storage cubby idea is great! I'm going to do that once the Steathbox is out. I currently have the tire inflator thing and my jumper cables behind the passenger seat but would prefer them to be in the trunk.

The Stealthbox is a solid piece of engineering and sounds good, especially with 300+ watts powering it. I just miss the sound of a ported box and want more output. I almost never fold my back seats down to carry things. Our other vehicle is a pickup, so we've got "need to haul stuff" covered. The only stuff that goes in my trunk is groceries and a small suitcase and laptop bag when I travel.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I keep random things, sunblock, water bottles, shaker cups etc. otherwise would just be rolling around; I only did it because well, I cut my weather tech mat but I love it. would of been cool if I had the weather tech section still to put in there, but idont. oh well.

I made my own though, I used the same vinyl and trade and made a nice template shaped cut out and it just sits in there, with some material up the sides, incase something spilled I could wipe/remove clean and put back. and its 2 just 2 screws, undo it and remove it.

I will see if I can find the thread where I did it.

all I did was google my name and wood LOL

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...50-mustang-today.11109/page-2496#post-2919054

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Attach some 1/4” thick L brackets to the box and then bolt the box to the trunk floor using 3/8” bolts, fender washers and nyloc nuts. That should be plenty strong to hold the box in place.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
The gas tank is in that general area. I need to find out exactly where it is though. Isn't it under the back seats? My original plan was to do exactly what you describe, @NGOT8R but the last thing I want is to punch a hole in the tank.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The gas tank is in that general area. I need to find out exactly where it is though. Isn't it under the back seats? My original plan was to do exactly what you describe, @NGOT8R but the last thing I want is to punch a hole in the tank.
No, you definitely don’t want to punch a hole in the fuel tank. My car is still in the air on jack stands and I just stuck my head underneath the the trunk floor to have a quick look. It looks like there is an ample amount of room to drill and anchor the box to the floor without risking causing damage to the fuel tank. I would suggest drilling from the bottom of the floor up into the trunk. Unless you install a threaded insert into the hole, you will have to have a person up top and on the bottom to securely tighten the bracket to the floor anyways. I can snap a pic for you to show the amount of working room that is available if you’d like me to. Just let me know.

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
I wish JL Audio made left and right stealthboxes! I love how clean they look but I want two 10" subs.
You can get boxes for both sides here:

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/2015-2019-mustang-subwoofer-box/

These are stacked built so they should be strong despite the odd shape:

https://www.audiodesignscg.com/show/2016-ford-mustang-gt-audio-upgrade/

I bought the amp rack looked great from the top, just disappointed the underside was unfinished, just bare MDF. One leg or stand-off was out of place so I had to trim it to keep rack from teetering.

So anyone interested, ask questions about the finish of the back and bottom sides.

All is good now or will be after I spray the bottom black after I drill my larger cable holes

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
No, you definitely don’t want to punch a hole in the fuel tank. My car is still in the air on jack stands and I just stuck my head underneath the the trunk floor to have a quick look. It looks like there is an ample amount of room to drill and anchor the box to the floor without risking causing damage to the fuel tank. I would suggest drilling from the bottom of the floor up into the trunk. Unless you install a threaded insert into the hole, you will have to have a person up top and on the bottom to securely tighten the bracket to the floor anyways. I can snap a pic for you to show the amount of working room that is available if you’d like me to. Just let me know.
That would be great! YES, please snap a couple of pics. If you can show where the fuel tank is that would be exactly what I need, please. If I go this route I'm planning on using threaded inserts. I've had great luck with them in all kinds of applications and no 2nd person needed to help. Thanks!

With all the work I've done on my car, and the fact I change my own oil, you'd think I'd remember exactly where the tank is, but I don't. :headbang:

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I emailed AudioDesigns a while back, asking some questions about their Mustang boxes and they never replied. Not even a "Hey call us so we can discuss." Crickets. I'm sure if I just sent them my money I'd get what I paid for, but if I'm looking at spending that kind of money, I'd certainly appreciate the courtesy of a response. I'm just old-fashioned that way...service means a lot to me.

JL could make a mint if they made a driver's side Stealthbox, but I guess their bean counters don't see the mass market appeal.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That would be great! YES, please snap a couple of pics. If you can show where the fuel tank is that would be exactly what I need, please. If I go this route I'm planning on using threaded inserts. I've had great luck with them in all kinds of applications and no 2nd person needed to help. Thanks!

With all the work I've done on my car, and the fact I change my own oil, you'd think I'd remember exactly where the tank is, but I don't. :headbang:
The fuel tank should not be an issue for you at all. Here are pics on either side of the spare tire well. As you can see, there is more than enough room to safely install threaded inserts.

Right side pocket area in front of spare tire well.

DAE509F6-118D-423D-B1C6-BB6EF4AD30DB.jpeg

Left side pocket area in front of spare tire well.

86FB4FC5-6C9D-4BDE-8E7C-BBB0D7A97D50.jpeg

Fuel tank; way forward of differential.

77545187-5E33-477B-B5CB-37A9EE90BE1B.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed AudioDesigns a while back, asking some questions about their Mustang boxes and they never replied. Not even a "Hey call us so we can discuss." Crickets. I'm sure if I just sent them my money I'd get what I paid for, but if I'm looking at spending that kind of money, I'd certainly appreciate the courtesy of a response. I'm just old-fashioned that way...service means a lot to me.

JL could make a mint if they made a driver's side Stealthbox, but I guess their bean counters don't see the mass market appeal.
I asked about it, they said theres not enough room to make a good looking enclosure to accommodate size and space of their matching tw3 sub.

this was before I sold my jl stealth box to buy the double tw1 box

TW3 box sounds amazing, it really does. but the TW1 dual box, its not as musical of a sub by itself, cant handle as much juice by itself, but theres more cone area, and that means more sound.

1 tw3 > 1 tw1
1 tw3 < 2 tw1
2 tw3 > 2 tw1 or 1 tw1

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thank you very much, @NGOT8R ! Greatly appreciated. BTW, do you even drive your car? I could eat off that undercarriage!

So it looks like the fuel tank is underneath the left passenger seat, behind the driver. Of course I'd be extremely careful and drill from the bottom, but I should be able to sink a couple of inserts in this general area, circled in red.
InkedIMG_20201015_165350539_LI.jpg
Sponsored