Sponsored

Has anyone tried the Steeda S550 Mustang Front Control Arms (Lateral and Tension Links w/ Bearings)?

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Oh and I forgot to mention - those front tension arms have those fins on them for air flow to the brakes. Since I didn't have a performance car I kinda liked having those thrown in.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Granted, but improper roll center affects both in the same way. It’s more of a general suspension tuning principle than an effect of a specific suspension design.
One would think that if you start with archaic suspension like that on the S197, the effects of improper roll center would be exacerbated.

OP
OP
Dbrabas

Dbrabas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I spent most of the pandemic rebuilding the suspension on my car using progressives from steeda, tow links, swapped the bushings with bearings, new struts/shocks, sway bars, end links, etc. I initially bought a kit from them, and left the front alone.

This turned out to be a fixable mistake, but a gap in my plan nonetheless. The car was lower, stable, and cornered better for sure, but the front was "bouncy". You had to "steer" the car more than before, or actually drive it. This was originally a function of un-adjustable camber and bump steer, but also the fact that those huge rubber bushings that connect the front tension arms to the frame now are an obvious weak link to what would otherwise be a very solid suspension.

It's kinda like riding on the back of a grocery cart. You can feel the front of the cart wanting to lift off the ground.

The front needs the same treatment. In fact there should be a follow-up kit that includes not only these two components:

555 4908 - Steeda S550 Mustang Front Control Arms Tension Links w/ Bearings (2015-2020)

555 4915 - Steeda S550 Mustang Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit (2015-2020)

But also camber plates that have adjustable camber/castor.

You don't NEED the lateral links, but kinda like you don't NEED the rear camber arms either. If you want a solid suspension that has stability and steering set up properly I think this is the minimum. Beyond this you're swapping the lateral links and those rear camber arms, and you're also putting in spherical bushings wherever they are lacking.

Later I added the K member, but by then the REAL improvement was those huge spherical bushings on those tension links, bumpsteer kit and the camber adjustment on the camber plates (Sorry Steeda - I went with Maximum Motorsports on those).
BluePonyGT i ended up getting this part - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-4915-s550-roll-center--bumpsteer-correction-kit

what are your thoughts - i'm supposed to get them on the 22nd

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
BluePonyGT i ended up getting this part - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-4915-s550-roll-center--bumpsteer-correction-kit

what are your thoughts - i'm supposed to get them on the 22nd
It's a good kit. It will reposition the geometry where it should be, and eliminate the excessive bump steer issue once you lower the front-end with the spring of choice and the strut that goes with it.

That being said it won't have that stiff spherical bushing at the frame as the upgraded tension arm has. It also won't have the air duct attached, but it's still a good kit.

In either case though this brings the geometry back to where it should be, but you still can't adjust camber or castor. You will have to add plates to the top of your struts to do that either way.

OP
OP
Dbrabas

Dbrabas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
It's a good kit. It will reposition the geometry where it should be, and eliminate the excessive bump steer issue once you lower the front-end with the spring of choice and the strut that goes with it.

That being said it won't have that stiff spherical bushing at the frame as the upgraded tension arm has. It also won't have the air duct attached, but it's still a good kit.

In either case though this brings the geometry back to where it should be, but you still can't adjust camber or castor. You will have to add plates to the top of your struts to do that either way.
I currently have coilovers are the plates a must? And I wish they would’ve had a bumpsteer and upgraded tension package

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Air duct (actually just a deflector) on the control arm is kinda pointless if you don't have the PP undertray which funnels air towards that deflector. Those parts work together.

You don't need plates IMHO. In my experience, there are two types of people in the world.

1) Those that think stock camber is what they need, to keep tire wear to a minimum
2) and those who know how camber really helps the car to turn, and who want a lot more than stock camber.

The second type learn through experience that camber doesn't kill the tires, its not maintaining your alignment and driving with wonky toe settings. Camber settings all the way up to 3 degreees is still streetable (if you maintain your front toe ~0 degrees or a smidge toe in), and 1.5 is really anemic if you want to help the car turn.

Chances are the natural amount of camber gain from lowering will only help the car turn, and its still a very streetable mild amount of camber. I'd recommend something like 2.4 degrees for a sporty setup which isn't too extreme, and you're likely to have less than that.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to thank everyone who helped and supplied input. Car is a night and day difference. Such a pleasure to drive now. really appreciate it guys
Any increase in NVH ?

Sponsored

S14Wolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big K
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Vert with Stg2 Whipple
how is the NVH with the spherical bearings in the front suspension?

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Oh and I forgot to mention - those front tension arms have those fins on them for air flow to the brakes. Since I didn't have a performance car I kinda liked having those thrown in.
To make those air deflection vanes more useful, add the Bamberg Brake Air Deflector vanes!
HERE

Bamberg brake air deflection vanes.jpg

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Later I added the K member, but by then the REAL improvement was those huge spherical bushings on those tension links, bumpsteer kit and the camber adjustment on the camber plates (Sorry Steeda - I went with Maximum Motorsports on those).
Any NVH from the spherical bearings on the tension links? Highly considering these.

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks i ended up ordering, came out to $450 which isn't to bad. Also thinking about picking up the Steeda Rear subframe support braces
The Steeda rear IRS braces are by far the most noticeable improvement made to my GT and I have IRS alignment, springs, shocks, struts, camber plates, 2 point G-trac brace and strut tower brace. It really tightens up that floaty rear end.
Sponsored