Has anyone installed a keypad?

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Wow, this thread went a different direction than expected. Have not tested to see if the car will stay locked with the keys inside.
From my understanding it won't allow you to (unless the signal from the fob is somehow blocked)

a friend of mine was in her trunk and she left the key fob on top of something in the trunk. closed the trunk, it honked twice and then released the trunk.
Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Holy crap people the guy asked about a keypad give him a break. My Explorer has one and my SHO had on and I too miss it on the Mustang. I would just leave my keys in the SHO 24/7 and use the pad to get in/out.

For those barking about insurance - you are full of....well you know. If its stolen you are covered PERIOD whether you left the keys in it, its unlocked or its encased in carbonite. Hell if its sitting in the drive RUNNING you are covered if you have theft insurance.

Its a shame they did not include it on the Mustang, its one of two thinks I miss from the SHO - key pad and Active Seats. Heated Massaging seats are the BOMB.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
So you run without any communication on you? what happens if you pull a muscle or something, should always have communication with you,
even more so in this day and age
don't you have music on :D
as for the key, the blade key fits down your sock :headbang:
Blade key in my shorts pocket. If I pull a muscle, I'll stop running and walk. You think I'm gonna call my g/f to pick me up? Lol. Wear a roadID on my wrist. Music? Never. Don't need to be entertained.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Holy crap people the guy asked about a keypad give him a break. My Explorer has one and my SHO had on and I too miss it on the Mustang. I would just leave my keys in the SHO 24/7 and use the pad to get in/out.

For those barking about insurance - you are full of....well you know. If its stolen you are covered PERIOD whether you left the keys in it, its unlocked or its encased in carbonite. Hell if its sitting in the drive RUNNING you are covered if you have theft insurance.

Its a shame they did not include it on the Mustang, its one of two thinks I miss from the SHO - key pad and Active Seats. Heated Massaging seats are the BOMB.
Couldn't agree more. Except I didn't leave my keys in my Milan 24/7. Only when I was out running.

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
LOL. I run with a skinny cut blade key that I can't even feel in my pocket while running. My huge fob locked in the glove with my phone etc. I have no push button start on my vw. Just lock the door with blade key.

That's all I carry while I run. That skinny small cut key. I run 40-50 miles per week and I'm always going to travel light. I've never run with a phone in my life and never plan to.

I'll never buy a car if it doesn't allow me to have the same key set up I have now for running. Would love a 5.0 but not if I'm running daily with some big fob attached to me.
Ummm, you know you can unlock the driver's door with the little blade key that's in the fob, right?

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I had a 2011 mustang with a keypad on it. Bought it used with the system installed, but wound up relocating the garbage wireless FOB thing from the door to under the cowl hood. And by under, I mean the little blip that is facing the driver. Still accessible from the outside.

Hides nicely in there and no one knows its there unless you crawl up on the hood.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ummm, you know you can unlock the driver's door with the little blade key that's in the fob, right?
As far as the Mustang goes, yes, you take off the door handle and use the blade key to unlock the car and keep the fob in an Altoids box or something to block the signal. But removing the door handle every day and putting it back on, would be a bit of pain and would probably break it eventually.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I wish the Mustang had the keypad like the F-150 or the Edge...
I hate carrying my keys in my pocket. Wish I can leave them in the car and lock the door like I do with my other cars.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Like I said, keypads are old school. Plus, what happens when you have a dead battery? You're screwed.

If I was to put a locking technology in a car, I'd go fingerprint, iris, or voice recognition technology. Those are fairly secure. Plus nobody expects those on a car.
you still need battery for all of the examples you provided. :headbonk:

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
What I like to see

old school integrated phone system. :lol:

We can put it in the back seat - no one could sit back there anyways. :thumbsup:
phone.jpeg

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Guys, you can lock your keys in the car with a keypad very easily. You don't need to block the signal from the key, just hold the 7/8 (or 7/9...whatever, the bottom two) keys down simultaneously for a few seconds. The car will lock, fob in it or not. We do it all the time when we are traveling with my wifes explorer and we lock her purse in the car and I have another fob in my pocket or something.

I've heard of people adding keypads to mustangs, and just putting the keypad somewhere out of sight. It would have been nice if Ford had included the keypad on these just like they do on some of the other cars.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
It is illegal to leave a key in a vehicle in Ohio. It also does create allot of insurance issues. My father in law went through this. Stole his truck with a key he had hidden inside his tool box, proceeded to crash the truck and almost killed somebody.... it was a mess and took a long time to get straitened out. That being said, it wouldn't stop me if that's what I wanted to do. I actually always have a key hidden on my work truck. As far as a keypad on the new Mustang, I agree, should have been a factory option like it is on damn near every other new Ford.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, you can lock your keys in the car with a keypad very easily. You don't need to block the signal from the key, just hold the 7/8 (or 7/9...whatever, the bottom two) keys down simultaneously for a few seconds. The car will lock, fob in it or not.
Obviously. Nobody is disputing that.

I've heard of people adding keypads to mustangs, and just putting the keypad somewhere out of sight. It would have been nice if Ford had included the keypad on these just like they do on some of the other cars.
I haven't. Not with a push button start. Ford parts counter said Ford doesn't make one applicable for those.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is illegal to leave a key in a vehicle in Ohio.
Incorrect. It's only illegal to leave it in the ignition unattended.

From the Ohio Revised Code: "No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, effectively setting the parking brake, and, when the motor vehicle is standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway. The requirements of this section relating to the stopping of the engine, locking of the ignition, and removing the key from the ignition of a motor vehicle shall not apply to an emergency vehicle or a public safety vehicle."

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Incorrect. It's only illegal to leave it in the ignition unattended.

From the Ohio Revised Code: "No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, effectively setting the parking brake, and, when the motor vehicle is standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway. The requirements of this section relating to the stopping of the engine, locking of the ignition, and removing the key from the ignition of a motor vehicle shall not apply to an emergency vehicle or a public safety vehicle."

Can only tell you what my father in law went through. He was cited and his key was hidden in the tool box. Cost him thousands of dollars and was a huge issue with the insurance company. I watched it all happen and listened to people say over and over it wasn't illegal.... tell it to the judge. Like I said I still do it to this day, just know what I saw happen first hand. I would get more details if I could but he lost his battle with cancer a year and a half ago. The whole truck fiasco happened in 2012 or 13. A

After thinking about it, I believe the big issue was that since there was a key in the ignition when the truck was wrecked he could not prove that he didn't leave it in the ignition.... something along those lines.... either way it was a huge disaster.
Sponsored

Last edited: