Sponsored

Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil temp gauge/sensor?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm curious how accurate the stock gauge is. I read it doesn't actually read oil temp in real time and just estimates based on driving conditions.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The factory service manual doesn't show any real temperature sensor, and doesn't get into theory of operation or how the algorithm works based on whatever parameters it uses.

I'd think the "virtual gage" is relatively accurate since the manual assigns a temperature range for each color zone. My GT runs at about 1 needle width to left of the center of the green zone, which is ~200F. That's a pretty standard/normal oil temp during normal street driving on most vehicles.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I had aftermarket oil and water temp installed electric. I also run a 160 thermostat the engine runs about 194 in 94 degree weather.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here's a data point for you. After a 25 mile drive, the virtual oil temp gauge was reading at 1 needle width to the left of the middle of the "Normal" green zone, which would be an indicated ~200 deg F.

I then used an IR temperature reader on the black metal oil pan (my GT is a 2015). The IR reader indicated 199 deg F, which correlates well with the oil temp gauge. I've verified this IR temperature reader on a black pan of boiling water, and it's pretty accurate.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Here's a data point for you. After a 25 mile drive, the virtual oil temp gauge was reading at 1 needle width to the left of the middle of the "Normal" green zone, which would be an indicated ~200 deg F.

I then used an IR temperature reader on the black metal oil pan (my GT is a 2015). The IR reader indicated 199 deg F, which correlates well with the oil temp gauge. I've verified this IR temperature reader on a black pan of boiling water, and it's pretty accurate.
Alright, cool. It's good to know I can rely on something on this car. Thanks for the info!

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What I really want to know, is how to install an oil pressure gauge while using the existing pressure sensor wiring going into the dash. That way I don't have to add another pressure sensor to the engine with another set of wires through the firewall.
Sponsored