Hard clank and power loss when flooring

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
2015 mustang gt premium, 6r80, 3.15 diff, bmr drag springs, fbo e85 cam, nitto nt555r2 305/35R19 tire

Recently I took my rear seats, passenger seat, and trunk spare tire cover out of the car to see if the weight difference was noticeable.

What I did end up noticing is sometimes when flooring in first gear (traction control completely off) (has happened twice both after turning left) the car made a loud clank in the rear end like something is deflecting or bending. Sounds like it is coming from the right rear but could be just because of where I am sitting. Doesn't seem like wheel hop, I'm pretty sure I've experienced wheel hop when on worse tires and that felt like the rear end bouncing, this feels like the rear end breaking in half.

The car has recently had fueling issues in 1st gear. Pretty sure it's my fuel pump and I plan to upgrade. That just feels like the car hitting a soft limiter and the fueling catches up pretty fast and the car starts going just fine. This feels entirely different. Not just huh the car stopped revving as fast what's it doing, this gives you the feeling of oh shit my half shaft just snapped. Both times it has happened I was sure my diff or halfshaft just gave up, but after taking a second the car seemed to drive just fine.

Happens at about 6,000 - 6,500rpm in first. No issues in any other gear so far (although 3.15 gear ratio is super long so 1st gear is by far the most aggressive). Interestingly both times after turning left. The first time I flipped a U-turn and then floored it and the car did it. The second time I was following a random gt3 around a roundabout (turning left) and floored it as I was exiting the turn and it happened again. Very sad because I wanted to have some fun with the gt3 even though it was casually kicking my ass in the turn haha.

Driver-side rear control arms and toe links were semi-recently replaced due to me hitting an object and bending them. The car was aligned after. Chasis has 119k miles, transmission has 119k miles. Other suspension besides the BMR drag springs and mentioned control arms are original as far as I know. The engine is also lowered quite a bit, probably an inch or more.

Any insight on what it might be would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Did it again after exiting a left turn flooring in first at about 6500rpm. Rpm stops increasing and you hear a big bang in the rear end. Let off and car drives fine.

To me, it feels like the diff skipping teeth or something. Anyone with any advice or opinions?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Did you put the car up in the air? First I'll do that and try to shake the wheels to check for bearing, clunks and power loss may very well be related. If you hit an obstacle you could have easily borked a bearing.

Then put a lift under the rear suspension and check for play on all the bushings.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
big bangs are not normal. Put the car up and inspect both sides, especially with the recent repairs on the drivers side.
Sponsored