Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
With the pipe insulation around the top, dremeled out grill just on the intake side, and the heat reflection tape, IATs show no more that 5*-10* above ambient no matter the conditions. Good enough for me with a JLT.
02D103E7-C94C-4CEB-847F-8B9D8634125A.jpeg
Sponsored

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Gen 2 far as I know...

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I did something similar with my PMAS intake, gold heat reflective tape on the intake piping and engine facing side of the intake cone heat shield. Also have the Heatshield Products intake manifold heatshield underneath my 2018 manifold.
After the gold reflective tape I noticed a very notable 13-20 degrees Fahrenheit drop of IATs while the vehicle is stationary for an extended period.
IMG_1063.jpg

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Holy that thing is huge.

Sponsored

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fantastically timed joke aside, the size definitely made me go through quite a bit of gold reflective heat tape. 2" wide tape helped speed up the process on the heat shield.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
I’m surprised it works that well. Can you get a different colored tape like black or something?

Fantastically timed joke aside, the size definitely made me go through quite a bit of gold reflective heat tape. 2" wide tape helped speed up the process on the heat shield.

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So for gold reflective tape, the color is actually part of the science behind why it works. Silver is another option, but something black would have the opposite effect of what you would want. A black tape would more likely than not increase heat absorption into your intake system. Gold (and also metallic silver heat shields) are used everywhere from aeronautics to space travel to racing, in order to reflect away as much heat from where you want it to stay away from.

SO TLDR; NO, black would be a bad choice to reflect heat, it would absorb. Gold or silver only.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Interesting, I’ve been looking at an intake that’s a metal and silver but wasn’t sure it would be good compared to black plastic for heat resistance.

Another thought I’ve always had is, I wonder if black cars heatsoak faster than white? Weird thought I know but kindw have wondered

So for gold reflective tape, the color is actually part of the science behind why it works. Silver is another option, but something black would have the opposite effect of what you would want. A black tape would more likely than not increase heat absorption into your intake system. Gold (and also metallic silver heat shields) are used everywhere from aeronautics to space travel to racing, in order to reflect away as much heat from where you want it to stay away from.

SO TLDR; NO, black would be a bad choice to reflect heat, it would absorb. Gold or silver only.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I wonder if black cars heatsoak faster than white?
Black when not exposed to UV sun light will assist with heat dissipation. Black pigment is ground up carbon. The magic is in the carbon.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
SO TLDR; NO, black would be a bad choice to reflect heat, it would absorb. Gold or silver only
The tiles on the belly of the Space Shuttle and Apollo Control Module are Carbon Carbon and Black.
Most electronic heat sinks are coated black to improve heat dissipation.

Last edited:

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
The tiles on the belly of the Space Shuttle and Apollo Control Module are Carbon Carbon and Black.
Most electronic heat sinks are coated black to improve heat dissipation.
here's the real question. what's more important, heat dissipation or heat reflection?

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
here's the real question. what's more important, heat dissipation or heat reflection?
Yesssss, thank you. I very well understand how black has its' place, as well as the science behind specific heats, increasing surface areas for heat dissipation etc. But for an intake system you're typically not needing to dissipate heat as it's mostly outside air coming into the engine bay and into the induction system. Thus the main reason gold and silver heat shields/wraps/tapes are used in these areas is specifically to keep heat away.

TLDR: Black has its' place, but in reflecting heat gold and silver shields are fantastic choices.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Heat Reflection typically applies to light wavelength. UV, Infrared etc.

Heat Dissipation by means of convection applies to the discussion of IAT
Sponsored

Last edited: