mpeychev

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin Peychev
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I've been trying to fine tune the sound of my 2018 GT, and I can't quite seem to find what I like the most. I started with simple MBRP axle-backs with my stock resonators. Loved it, but wanted a hair more growl and "deepness" in the exhaust, so I went with an H-pipe, and now my car is straight piped. While sure it sounds cool, it's not something I can live with.

What are some of your combos, or suggestions? I was thinking of going back to the stock resonator, I tried out the Magnaflow Tru-X resonated mid-pipe, it made the car too quiet even with the MBRP Axle-Back.

Thanks in advance, y'all!
Sponsored

Ed 718

TURBO JUNKIE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@ed718_bkny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metal GT Premium
On my 19 GT first thing I did was a resonator delete and that was annoying as hell it was just louder but not a nice tone. I was shopping around for a H pipe due to the sound being more muscle car and less rasp but ended up fiding a MBRP Street full catback. I absolutley love the sound BUT it is kinda quiet wish I could get the same sound but a bit louder...........

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Your only upgrade from here is a full catback. Nothing else will satisfy you. MBRP Street is a good compromise. Or Roush.

Personally I run pype bomb axle back with stock resonator. Its 3 inch versus the MBRP 2.5 and sounds great. Its not perfect though. Above 4k its mostly just loud lol

OP
OP
mpeychev

mpeychev

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin Peychev
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On my 19 GT first thing I did was a resonator delete and that was annoying as hell it was just louder but not a nice tone. I was shopping around for a H pipe due to the sound being more muscle car and less rasp but ended up fiding a MBRP Street full catback. I absolutley love the sound BUT it is kinda quiet wish I could get the same sound but a bit louder...........
Yeah, it's hard to find a good compromise. I'm tempted to just head to an exhaust shop and see what they can Frankenstein, see how it sounds. If I don't like it, back to the suitcase and deal

Your only upgrade from here is a full catback. Nothing else will satisfy you. MBRP Street is a good compromise. Or Roush.

Personally I run pype bomb axle back with stock resonator. Its 3 inch versus the MBRP 2.5 and sounds great. Its not perfect though. Above 4k its mostly just loud lol
That's how I feel my car is now. Anything over 3k rpm, the car sounds almost "ricey" if that's even possible. I didn't realize how much of a rabbit hole it is to find the best exhaust solution

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, it's hard to find a good compromise. I'm tempted to just head to an exhaust shop and see what they can Frankenstein, see how it sounds. If I don't like it, back to the suitcase and deal

That's how I feel my car is now. Anything over 3k rpm, the car sounds almost "ricey" if that's even possible. I didn't realize how much of a rabbit hole it is to find the best exhaust solution
You mean raspy? I think my setup is unusually good for what it is, I don't think it sounds ricey per se, its just that once you are wide open it's SCREAMING a deep bassy note. I was just mentioning that it could be better if I went for a full catback like AWE Touring or Corsa Extreme.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mpeychev

mpeychev

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin Peychev
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You mean raspy? I think my setup is unusually good for what it is, I don't think it sounds ricey per se, its just that once you are wide open it's SCREAMING a deep bassy note. I was just mentioning that it could be better if I went for a full catback like AWE Touring or Corsa Extreme.
Yeah, I'd say raspy technically. Maybe I just wasn't expecting THAT much rasp hahah. Definitely when I had just the muffler delete, it was best of both worlds. Not too raspy, but also a decent amount of volume. I'll have to look into what you have. Thank you!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My experience, started with the Roush X pipe, like that for a while. I always drove with the exhaust In track mode, sounded good but lacked in tone. Going one step further Roush axle backs. These 2 together are the perfect combo.

I believe in parts matching, lots of things look the same but are not.

No way to describe sound, the system holds the tone at all RPMs.

Where as running just the X pipe, driver must step on it a bit hard to get that horse power song. With the axel backs is there all the time.

"an exhaust shop and see what they can Frankenstein"
That's a crap shoot cause they will be selling what they have on the shelf so to speak.

As an example here in GA they all push flow master IMO are hideous .

On the other hand Roush, building their own Mustangs. Would naturally be inclined to engineer an exhaust system that enhances and embraces the power song.

OP
OP
mpeychev

mpeychev

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin Peychev
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My experience, started with the Roush X pipe, like that for a while. I always drove with the exhaust In track mode, sounded good but lacked in tone. Going one step further Roush axle backs. These 2 together are the perfect combo.

I believe in parts matching, lots of things look the same but are not.

No way to describe sound, the system holds the tone at all RPMs.

Where as running just the X pipe, driver must step on it a bit hard to get that horse power song. With the axel backs is there all the time.

"an exhaust shop and see what they can Frankenstein"
That's a crap shoot cause they will be selling what they have on the shelf so to speak.

As an example here in GA they all push flow master IMO are hideous .

On the other hand Roush, building their own Mustangs. Would naturally be inclined to engineer an exhaust system that enhances and embraces the power song.
I've heard so many good things about the Roush axle-backs with a X or H-pipe, I might have to look into that. I've done some reading through the forum, I might shoot for some bullet style resonators (similar to the AWE Track setup). Depending how that goes, I'll try out some other ideas I hear on this thread.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard so many good things about the Roush axle-backs with a X or H-pipe, I might have to look into that. I've done some reading through the forum, I might shoot for some bullet style resonators (similar to the AWE Track setup). Depending how that goes, I'll try out some other ideas I hear on this thread.

FYI the Roush site has a sound clip. The Mustang used has the resonator installed, with the axel backs. The sound pitch of the song is low, robust, solid even sound. Not a tuner sound at all.

With the X pipe it is the same, but louder, crisp and will crack.

Remember the car has the resonator.

Ignore the dry revs, those are somewhat misleading. Pay attention as it pulls off, when it returns there is where the true nature of the song can be heard, that's muscle coming pass.

With an X pipe ruffly 30% louder.

Happy hunting

thumbs up

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I've tried X, H and resonated X with the stock mufflers and wasn't happy with the tone. Switched to a Roush / Steeda style axle-back and it was way too loud, even with the stock resonator. Switched to LTH Scorpion axle-backs and ended up being happy with these and the stock resonator. Just loud enough without rasp, and a nice deep tone at low RPM and exotic wail in mid to higher RPM. Experimented with an X-pipe with the Scorpions but it made them way too loud, so I'm glad I didn't get the full Scorpion cat-back.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried X, H and resonated X with the stock mufflers and wasn't happy with the tone. Switched to a Roush / Steeda style axle-back and it was way too loud, even with the stock resonator. Switched to LTH Scorpion axle-backs and ended up being happy with these and the stock resonator. Just loud enough without rasp, and a nice deep tone at low RPM and exotic wail in mid to higher RPM. Experimented with an X-pipe with the Scorpions but it made them way too loud, so I'm glad I didn't get the full Scorpion cat-back.

That's funny think the same regarding the Roush X & ABs.
All the experimenting I'm guessing ya got a muffler shop happen in the garage.

IMG_0605.jpeg

Lean and mean, 2 installs 1 for the X, second ABs

Last edited:

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Hi all,

I've been trying to fine tune the sound of my 2018 GT, and I can't quite seem to find what I like the most. I started with simple MBRP axle-backs with my stock resonators. Loved it, but wanted a hair more growl and "deepness" in the exhaust, so I went with an H-pipe, and now my car is straight piped. While sure it sounds cool, it's not something I can live with.

What are some of your combos, or suggestions? I was thinking of going back to the stock resonator, I tried out the Magnaflow Tru-X resonated mid-pipe, it made the car too quiet even with the MBRP Axle-Back.

Thanks in advance, y'all!
Have you looked into flow master? Classic sound, not extremely costly, and I'm sure if you deleted the resonators it would give you a nice sound.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Have you looked into flow master? Classic sound, not extremely costly, and I'm sure if you deleted the resonators it would give you a nice sound.
But the drone is severe!

AWE Touring could be an option. If ever going long tubes something more mild like a Corsa Sport.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The MBRP street catback on mine sounds GREAT.

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’ve got the Magnaflow tru-x with active mufflers and will agree it’s a little on the quiet side.

This clip with it with Roush axle backs sounds pretty killer though:
Sponsored