Sponsored

Guys, how important is the “Shelby” name to the enjoyment of your car?

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
I love the fact that my GT350R doesn't say Shelby anywhere on it . . . the name or brand means pretty much zero to me. Heck, Boss 302 is a way cooler name in my book (says me, a 2 time Boss 302 owner).
Shelby is on the front splitter. Kind of hard to miss.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For some people, the Shelby brand means something in and of itself - if it's got the Shelby name, it's unique or rare or something important. It's the label that matters.

For others, the Shelby brand is signal that it's different from the regular product. GT/CS's are different in one way, Shelby's in a different way. It's all about signaling.

As for the cars that Carroll Shelby would allow his name to go on, he would likely veto anything that didn't measure up to his standards, whatever they were. That applies to Shelby American cars from Nevada and to Ford's Shelby-branded products. Regardless of what car his name is on, you're getting more than just a sticker.

agmattocks

Unstabled Mate
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
UMMC 026 - 2021 MACH 1 w/ handling package
I mean if your current GT350/500 was badged as a “Mach 2“ and didn’t say Shelby anywhere on it, would it still be as special to you as it is? Let’s face it; regardless of what assembly line they went down, who blessed them, what registry they are or aren’t on or any other useless point somebody’s trying to make Shelbys are special. Always have been, always will be.

Please try to examine yourself and be honest. I’m not trying to trick you or pull a gotcha. It’s actually more of a mental health check on myself. My two ‘23 Mach 1s (one manual, one A10) are realistically all I’d ever need or could hope for. I love ‘em. They’re paid for. They‘re beautiful and even stock I’ll admit they’re more capable than I am. But I’m a victim of nearly 60 years of brainwashing and can’t get the Shelby jones off my back.

I guess I’m just shallow. There, I‘ve outed myself.

GT500 guys chime in too. I just didn’t see any reason to clog up two forums.

This is they way I think of it. If you have the money buy what you can afford. If you don't the all the parts are in the bin for you to add as you want. I can't afford a GT500 but the parts are in the Ford performance catalog for me to upgrade my car as I can afford it. In the end you may have a mustang that is just as good and end up being the same price of what your going for. So yea it may not be a real Shelby or Mach 1 (tribute) but it is yours made to you.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
For some people, the Shelby brand means something in and of itself - if it's got the Shelby name, it's unique or rare or something important. It's the label that matters.

For others, the Shelby brand is signal that it's different from the regular product. GT/CS's are different in one way, Shelby's in a different way. It's all about signaling.

As for the cars that Carroll Shelby would allow his name to go on, he would likely veto anything that didn't measure up to his standards, whatever they were. That applies to Shelby American cars from Nevada and to Ford's Shelby-branded products. Regardless of what car his name is on, you're getting more than just a sticker.
In fact, the Shelby GT was not a 350 because Carroll said it didn't have enough horsepower.

Sponsored

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
No the name doesn't matter. but it's nice to be there. It makes the purchase feel even better.

I like what they did with the GT500. You have the Snake badging, Shelby badging, GT500 badging and even Ford Performance badging,

I think the GT500 is easily one of the best cars you can buy for the price, and seeing how cars are only getting more expensive, I don't think that will change in the future.

A lot of people have buyer's remorse after spending $100,000 on a car OTD.

When I pulled off in my GT500, It reminded me of childhood and feeling like I took advantage of another kid in a sour deal. Like trading an off the shelf starter deck for a rare Charizard pokemon card. Felt like I needed to tell the dealer "no trade backs". Helps that I didn't pay a $25,000 to $50,000 ADM like dealers in South Florida wanted at the time for the black GT500s.

The feeling of getting over was even stronger, when right after leaving the dealer I got on the highway and a guy with his fine girlfriend wanted to race me in his scat pack.

Blew his doors and put a bus on him just 40-80. Whereas my 5.0 kinda/sorta put a car length on them after a couple seconds.

Had to slow down to get a better look at his girl. He had the windows up.

Oh well

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Yes the name doesn't make the car as each trim/Performance level is just that and the name is just a representation of that level. You have to name it something and to have it in the name of a racing legend is better yet. The Shelby name has always been aligned to performance so it's a good fit.

To all the people that say its just a mustang or it's built on the same line as all others. The jealousy seem to be showing a bit; yes this is true but just seems to be negative.

I will explain why I like the Shelby. Back in 2014 I attended the Mustang 50th in Vegas and was able to enter my car because it was a mustang. I was also able to enter it in the Shelby bash as it IS a Shelby.

So is the car less if it isn't named Shelby as a whole? I will so No. is it more? Yes since it adds the history of what the Shelby name represents.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yes the name doesn't make the car as each trim/Performance level is just that and the name is just a representation of that level. You have to name it something and to have it in the name of a racing legend is better yet. The Shelby name has always been aligned to performance so it's a good fit.

To all the people that say its just a mustang or it's built on the same line as all others. The jealousy seem to be showing a bit; yes this is true but just seems to be negative.

I will explain why I like the Shelby. Back in 2014 I attended the Mustang 50th in Vegas and was able to enter my car because it was a mustang. I was also able to enter it in the Shelby bash as it IS a Shelby.

So is the car less if it isn't named Shelby as a whole? I will so No. is it more? Yes since it adds the history of what the Shelby name represents.
And, you don't have to own a Shelby to attend the bash or put it in the car show

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Anyone carefully reading and thinking a little about the OP would realize that this is just rephrasing exactly what was said therein. No attempt at being coy, just honesty.

There’s always gonna be a junior analyst chiming in but it took longer than I would’ve thought. Contrarianism is a hard habit to shake.
And when you've been called out and are clearly being a douche, it's 2024 best practice to turn it on someone else, like you have done. I did think about it, and read a few follow-ups and the direction is clear. You have a great car, it's OK.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
PS - I remember plenty of posts and this IS your MO. You have that weird thing where you cant help but slip in your predisposed opinion while disguising your comments as constructive or inquisitive.

Your car is special... in fact, I would have bought an M1 if the GT350 did not exist.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
PS - I remember plenty of posts and this IS your MO. You have that weird thing where you cant help but slip in your predisposed opinion while disguising your comments as constructive or inquisitive.

Your car is special... in fact, I would have bought an M1 if the GT350 did not exist.
Hey, this was all you needed to say. It addresses exactly the question I was posing. No need to be combative unless of course it’s just something you enjoy.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Another thing to consider. Many of us still look at the Original Shelby's and remember how we wanted one but couldn't quite swing it. Then Ford starting producing the GT500 and many of us bought that car because it is a Shelby. Nostalgia is a strong motivator. There are those who say the new cars are not real Shelby's. Lets make these points. No one at Shelby who wanted to work there ever said that to Carroll. He would not tolerate that. Then, if you consider the 68-70 cars, they would fall in the same category.

For those of you who are SVT fans, as I am, there is no chance at this point it will ever return. In reality, the new Mustang was not made for anyone in this group. Its not called a Cobra, Mach 1, Boss ect for a reason. We are no longer the market target Ford is interested in. They are looking for the younger market. They are no longer interested in the historical names. Hanse, Darkhorse, GTD ect

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
Hey, this was all you needed to say. It addresses exactly the question I was posing. No need to be combative unless of course it’s just something you enjoy.
You do have a tendency to point out in your many posts that you own 2 Mach1’s. ( an A10 and 6 speed)Anybody who is a regular would already know that.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
For those of you who are SVT fans, as I am, there is no chance at this point it will ever return. In reality, the new Mustang was not made for anyone in this group. Its not called a Cobra, Mach 1, Boss ect for a reason. We are no longer the market target Ford is interested in. They are looking for the younger market. They are no longer interested in the historical names. Hanse, Darkhorse, GTD ect
I hope you’re incorrect. I think there’s still enough of us in our 40’s and 50’s that would love to see the Boss or Cobra nameplate one last time before they totally move on from us. But I understand what you’re saying and fear you may be right, they’re definitely trying to get the next generation of Mustang enthusiast, hence all the screens and added technology and goofy name (Dark Horse. GTD doesn’t bother me). As long as they keep the V8 alive I’m a happy camper, but one last time around with the Boss and/or Cobra would be nice.
Sponsored