GT500 Track Attack - Impressions

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting Tom. When I went in November they never asked us about track experience, but they did move people around between sessions.
we lapped another group. Big deal. It was a huge disappointment that I could not drive the car like it was my own, especially after buying the insurance. I watched one instructor on the hot lap drive damn near how I drive it at Daytona.

I had a great time, but the instructors there are probably told point blank that they are not to go past a certain limit or let them go all out.

Anybody with significant track experience needs to know this so as to not let their expectations be let down. I went into this thinking that I could go as fast as I liked as long as I demonstrated proficiency.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Will they be adding any Fall sessions? I'd rather not go during the warmest months of the year.

Ford Funatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang SVT Cobra 2013 Mustang GT/CS
Hey hope everyone is doing well. I am new to the forum not sure of all the rules and regulations. I attended the GT500 back in March. Here is the link if you guys wanna check it out.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You know that video reminded me of my instructor just talking and talking and talking on the radio. Jeze Louise..... bla bla bla.

This course is designed and perfect for the "new to the track" experience.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
You know that video reminded me of my instructor just talking and talking and talking on the radio. Jeze Louise..... bla bla bla.

This course is designed and perfect for the "new to the track" experience.
Yes. Yes it is, Tomster. It is designed for n00bs. We can't all be an omniscient superman like yourself.

At any rate, it was a very fun time and I really enjoyed it. As others have said, they treat you right, even if you're a nub with no idea what you're doing on a track. I highly recommend the experience for anyone that can find the time to go.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Yes it is, Tomster. It is designed for n00bs. We can't all be an omniscient superman like yourself.

At any rate, it was a very fun time and I really enjoyed it. As others have said, they treat you right, even if you're a nub with no idea what you're doing on a track. I highly recommend the experience for anyone that can find the time to go.
That was a very rude comment. Go back to the hole you crawled out of.

OP
OP
PUR_SPD

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Play nice!

I'll tell you what I'd really like, because I'm sure you all want to know...

I'd like to find some place that will show me how to really drive this car. I'm probably an 8, on a scale of 1-10, how do I get to a 9? Just driving?

I only have a couple track days on this car so maybe just stick time will be what the doctor ordered but I'd pay to have one of the Ford Performance drivers spend a day with me.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Play nice!

I'll tell you what I'd really like, because I'm sure you all want to know...

I'd like to find some place that will show me how to really drive this car. I'm probably an 8, on a scale of 1-10, how do I get to a 9? Just driving?

I only have a couple track days on this car so maybe just stick time will be what the doctor ordered but I'd pay to have one of the Ford Performance drivers spend a day with me.
You most certainly can find what you are looking for. I'm sure there are tracks around the greater Saint Louis area... they will have track days that are either hosted by the track itself or by a 3rd party group that rents the track for the day. They will have instructors that either ride with you in the car or ride in a separate car in a lead-follow setup like you'll find at the Ford Performance Racing School. I have done 4 track days in my car. Some had instructors with me, some had instructors in their cars and some I have gone solo. It's like skateboarding... the way you get better at skateboarding is to get on the skateboard and practice!

Here are my track days... you'll be doing stuff like this in your car:

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
we lapped another group. Big deal. It was a huge disappointment that I could not drive the car like it was my own, especially after buying the insurance. I watched one instructor on the hot lap drive damn near how I drive it at Daytona.

I had a great time, but the instructors there are probably told point blank that they are not to go past a certain limit or let them go all out.

Anybody with significant track experience needs to know this so as to not let their expectations be let down. I went into this thinking that I could go as fast as I liked as long as I demonstrated proficiency.
I enjoyed the day, but the track sessions were a let down. I don't have significant track experience, but still rode the brakes and coasted way too much with a slow instructor on the track. I actually enjoyed the slalom more. At least there I could explore WOT and hard braking.

Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I enjoyed the day, but the track sessions were a let down. I don't have significant track experience, but still rode the brakes and coasted way too much with a slow instructor on the track. I actually enjoyed the slalom more. At least there I could explore WOT and hard braking.
This is highly dependent on your group. The instructor will only go as fast as the slowest student in your group. The second time I went, I was placed in the “fast group.” We hauled ass and were passing/lapping all the other groups.

OP
OP
PUR_SPD

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
You most certainly can find what you are looking for. I'm sure there are tracks around the greater Saint Louis area... they will have track days that are either hosted by the track itself or by a 3rd party group that rents the track for the day. They will have instructors that either ride with you in the car or ride in a separate car in a lead-follow setup like you'll find at the Ford Performance Racing School. I have done 4 track days in my car. Some had instructors with me, some had instructors in their cars and some I have gone solo. It's like skateboarding... the way you get better at skateboarding is to get on the skateboard and practice!

Here are my track days... you'll be doing stuff like this in your car:

This will come off as arrogant and I don't really mean it like that in any way. That instructor you're talking about is me. I instruct for PCA, Audi and sometimes SCCA. The GT500 is just at a next level and I'd like to figure that out with someone who knows what its limits are. I'm just not really willing to do that on my own with a $100k car 😬

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This will come off as arrogant and I don't really mean it like that in any way. That instructor you're talking about is me. I instruct for PCA, Audi and sometimes SCCA. The GT500 is just at a next level and I'd like to figure that out with someone who knows what its limits are. I'm just not really willing to do that on my own with a $100k car 😬
The problem is weight, imho. The 500 is a monster of a car on a big track, but i dont think its well suited (in comparison) to other lighter cars on a shorter more technical course.

I've taken the 500 about the point of loss of control on various inside course turns. You put up with those deficiencies so that you can get to the outside course and go fast, really fast.

I was just explaining to a fellow pilot today when he asked which car do you choose? (GT350R v GT500CFTP). My answer was "it depends on the track".

Each car has its pros and cons.

The nod goes to the 500 on a fast course and the 350R on the smaller more technical track.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s pretty great to hear the 500 is a track car, period. That’s the pinnacle of engineering for this car, period. Never before would the 500 even be thought of on a track.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh, not to worry... it didn’t come across as arrogant. You know track life, you just want to get more comfortable with the car. I’m not sure you’ll find what you are looking for locally and the FPRS only offers the GT500 track day once per new vehicle purchased. What I’d recommend is to just get in your car and get on the track. Begin with a pace that you would otherwise find slow. Each lap you complete, pick up the speed a bit and work on braking later and turning later. You’ll feel just how amazing these cars are in short order. The brakes are downright ridiculous! Lap after lap, all day long, you can stand on them... they are always there. They will reel you down from speed with graceful brutality. All you really need is to get a feel of the brakes (and grip)... work up to it slowly. By the end of the day, the CFTP-track drug will be coursing through your veins and you will be signing up for your next fix!

My other recommendations: make sure to get a track alignment, lower your cold tire pressures per the manual (and watch peak hot pressure), run in Track Mode and leave the tranny in auto-shift mode.
Sponsored