GT350R vs 2020 GT500 Head to Head Comparison by Speed Phenom

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
I have seen many videos of people droning on about the whole 350 versus 500 comparisons that are just reading off on line stats we all already know by heart, and doing a slide show of pictures in the back ground, Click bait time wasters

But this ones is kinda cool as he jumps from one right onto the other, and owns both of them. Younger guy but he might have the hours with these guys

As I said before, I have seen several reviews from well respected folks saying great things about the gt500, but still digging more on a GT350,

I would not write off the GT350 as an unwanted car that as the years go by will be over shadowed by another car just based on speed stats. Too special with the FPC and manual. If that was going to be the case, we would all have dual motor Teslas
Sponsored

Last edited:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I thought that was a pretty good comparison. Since he tracks his cars fairly often I’d love to see his best track times between the 2 cars compared.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
He does a pretty decent job. More importantly I think he has a genuine love for the cars. I don’t think his ability’s with a manual car on a track are up to snuff to do a fair comparison of the two objectively. But then again objectivity is based on the glass’s one is looking through.

I thought that was a pretty good comparison. Since he tracks his cars fairly often I’d love to see his best track times between the 2 cars compared.

OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Well, it's about fun too. I am a musician and some can't play a guitar as well as the next guy. But they love it and their support of the hobby keeps the industry going so the companies can stay in business, and make them for the guys that play better

I'd think he is your typical, street/ hobby track, "boy racer" review, which the sad reality is a huge percentage of the cars buyers probably are exactly that...as is myself as "old man racer"

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Further proof that I made the right call in ordering a 2020 350R over a GT500 . . . now if my car would just get made already!

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I think the point is they are BOTH amazing cars, and BOTH have an audience

....the "hands on, bucking bronco kicking ass" GT350 ...a sporting machine

........or the (Mr, Rogers voice) "can you press the automatic trans flapper on the wheel? I knew you could" ease of the automatic but with gobs of power and computer help

What a HARD choice indeed. For my lifestyle and where I live, the new 500 probably would of been the smarter choice, and maybe I would love it even more

....but I was never all that smart when it comes to passionate decisions and I can't seem to let this manual trans thing go :crazy:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I'd like to have the side skirt winglets on mine... just to keep shit off the sides...

OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Yea that was awesome idea to block the rocks

Beating the dead horse...here is a quote to ponder.... it was from Pericak, head of Ford Perforamance. He was actually speaking about future Ford products, but the quote also reminds me of this whole 350 vs 500 experience

"......a shift in how a new, younger generation of car buyers looks at performance. Pericak was candid about Ford research that shows in-your-face quarter mile times may not be the be-all and end-all. Instead, he said there's a shift to focus on the performance "experience." Say a performance vehicle will run the quarter mile in 11 seconds. That may be fine and dandy to a younger buyer, "But what are they going to feel? What are they going to experience? How are they going to engage with the vehicle in a way they can feel the acceleration and power?" Those are the questions that surround next-generation performance cars for Ford."

The above quote was NOT intended on the video in the thread, but this idea sort of remains

If I sound like a GT500 hater, I am not! In fact, I want one!!! Badly!!! But I feel the FPC GT350 and GT350R is going to be something sought out after this breed is no more. I think someone can always make a Mustang faster and faster and faster.... hell, the base GT with a whipple and biggger brakes. But like a bimbo with the biggest implants, what about class, taste, balance and poise...things that have always marked makers like Porsche, etc. In fact, it's amazing Mustang is in now in those kinds of comparisons....(be it fit and finish is still behind).

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Yea that was awesome idea to block the rocks

Beating the dead horse...here is a quote to ponder.... it was from Pericak, head of Ford Perforamance. He was actually speaking about future Ford products, but the quote also reminds me of this whole 350 vs 500 experience

"......a shift in how a new, younger generation of car buyers looks at performance. Pericak was candid about Ford research that shows in-your-face quarter mile times may not be the be-all and end-all. Instead, he said there's a shift to focus on the performance "experience." Say a performance vehicle will run the quarter mile in 11 seconds. That may be fine and dandy to a younger buyer, "But what are they going to feel? What are they going to experience? How are they going to engage with the vehicle in a way they can feel the acceleration and power?" Those are the questions that surround next-generation performance cars for Ford."

The above quote was NOT intended on the video in the thread, but this idea sort of remains

If I sound like a GT500 hater, I am not! In fact, I want one!!! Badly!!! But I feel the FPC GT350 and GT350R is going to be something sought out after this breed is no more. I think someone can always make a Mustang faster and faster and faster.... hell, the base GT with a whipple and biggger brakes. But like a bimbo with the biggest implants, what about class, taste, balance and poise...things that have always marked makers like Porsche, etc. In fact, it's amazing Mustang is in now in those kinds of comparisons....(be it fit and finish is still behind).
I echo this sentiment. I'd love to have one but more for a daily driver since its an automatic. It's not something I dream about going to drive. I love FPC, manual tranny. Is it slower? Sure... but as you point out this doesn't really matter. Two totally diff cars. If one size fit all we'd most drive the same stuff lol.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have seen many videos of people droning on about the whole 350 versus 500 comparisons that are just reading off on line stats we all already know by heart, and doing a slide show of pictures in the back ground, Click bait time wasters

But this ones is kinda cool as he jumps from one right onto the other, and owns both of them. Younger guy but he might have the hours with these guys

As I said before, I have seen several reviews from well respected folks saying great things about the gt500, but still digging more on a GT350,

I would not write off the GT350 as an unwanted car that as the years go by will be over shadowed by another car just based on speed stats. Too special with the FPC and manual. If that was going to be the case, we would all have dual motor Teslas
I really like his down to earth comparison of these two Shelbys. He is a straight shooter, and much more of a normal person than people give him credit for. He is one of the few video posters that I actually follow. It is nice to see the 500 as built, being tested and showing the results. I plan on just driving mine, so It's nice to see that I made the right choice to buy one. Chris :flag:

Sponsored
OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Congrats. I'd love a 500 and maybe...maybe..... someday

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

The R is a nice track ride. So is the GT500. I haven't driven both, but me personally, I would choose the GT500 base, over the GT350R.

Dual motor Teslas: so we can go fast once or twice and only with a full charge? Tesla acceleration is overrated. It's fast at a full charge, with the battery properly warmed up (45 mins), and for about 2 passes. See Car and Driver's recent comparison against the Taycan S. After just a few runs the "monster" Tesla was running 1/4 mile in 15-16 seconds. Hardly earth shattering.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I find that every time I get in my R I can't wait to drive it and shift and feel it. I still have great enthusiasm for it. This by no means makes me a GT500 hater. I am not and I would like one someday as well BUT not at the expense of my R. I'll find another way.

MWoodsFL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
18F150FX4 19GT350
I agree: Speed Phenom is a cool kid. His videos are fun to watch and informative.. He figured out how to have YouTube money buy him killer cars. Props to him !
The GT500 is a rocket ship that will track too.. Better than the Mopar 10 second cars we could have bought.

It’s all a choice for us. The paddle shifters take away your personal connection with the car. The kid says it. He took his 500 to the strip and ran 10.60’s. That’s insanely fast, and fine if that’s what you like..
I (and We) bought the GT 350’s to immensely enjoy driving a badass V-8 while we can still get premium gas.
I love the stench of the alcantera, and the sound of the engine... The suspension grip and the superb brakes.. It all depends on what you want from your car, and how much Cake you have to play with.
I got exactly what I wanted.
MW

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I agree: Speed Phenom is a cool kid. His videos are fun to watch and informative.. He figured out how to have YouTube money buy him killer cars. Props to him !
Videos since he has gotten the 2020 500 have been much better, but the 2014 and the GT350R aren't from YouTube money.
Sponsored