Sponsored

GT350R or GT4

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I have seen reports about the strut tower failure and transmission. Have not been able to find any statistics on how pervasive a problem this is (what is the failure rate). Anyone have any idea?
No idea. Just seeing what @nastang87xx posted would be enough to discourage me until P issues the fix...
Sponsored

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Wow. I have read about that GT4 strut tower failure quite a few times. That is brutal. How does one fix that?
I'm also interested in a 991.1 GT3 but it seems all those engines are on borrowed time. Porsche did give all GT3 owners an extended 10 year engine warranty but that leaves 5 years left depending on the GT3 model year. Apparently I need to hold out for a GT3 RS or 991.2 GT3.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sharkwerks said the strut tower issue has also happened on the 991.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There are some things I can brush off like a trans failure here or there, or goofy sounds etc etc. But when CATASTROPHIC structural failure like that happens, that genuinely scares me and is completely unacceptable. I would assume Porsche being Porsche though, that they'd take care of such matters.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That strut tower issue is very scary to me. I didn't see any corrosion, so
There are some things I can brush off like a trans failure here or there, or goofy sounds etc etc. But when CATASTROPHIC structural failure like that happens, that genuinely scares me and is completely unacceptable. I would assume Porsche being Porsche though, that they'd take care of such matters.
It's one thing if the car was rusty, but failure like that without corrosion is a scary thing. I wonder whether cracks are visible before failure or not.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Until Porsche has a fix for the strut tower failure issues on the GT4 (if a fix is even possible), I'd avoid them, especially for the difference in price.

yjz77U9D.jpg

1199511d1501266726-strut-tower-failure-screenshot_2016-08-12-12-08-07_zpsznz65bzc.png

Good ole German engineering lmao.
Cast aluminum strut towers.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch! That's the thing that scares me away from more exotic cars like Porsche. One failure like that and my whole fun budget is blown. I could eat a failure on a GT350, could stuff my VOODOO in a GT or have an Aluminator thrown in my ride but a failure like that not covered under warranty would ruin my day.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
And Porsche denies warranty claim

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Out of curiosity I read through the whole thread on Rennlist. It appears although not common it has happened to a handful of the members and Porsche hasn't warrantied them stating they found evidence of an impact causing it. Apparently the strut hat area is a cast piece. The ones who had it repaired said it cost $25-30k because a large section of the chassis has to be replaced and they use a factory jig to line everything up again. One member had a metallurgy analyst company examine the piece and said there were stress cracks developing prior to whatever impact caused the actual failure. I understand every car can have failures, but it seems in the past Porsche has been pretty good about warrantying things like that. I guess there are so many variables in that kind of failure that it's difficult to assume responsibility.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Using a cast aluminum piece in an area that absorbs shocks and on a high performance vehicle meant for driving fast. :like:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Using a cast aluminum piece in an area that absorbs shocks and on a high performance vehicle meant for driving fast. :like:
I agree, though to be fair they mentioned that it's supposedly a Porsche-proprietary alloy. I suppose it's a situation where the real world just didn't jive with the engineered solution.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the Alpha platform uses aluminum for the front shock towers, although they have a hell of a lot more bracing compared to the GT4.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree, though to be fair they mentioned that it's supposedly a Porsche-proprietary alloy. I suppose it's a situation where the real world just didn't jive with the engineered solution.
Yeah - in all seriousness I agree I wasn't being fair at all. There are lots of cast aluminum wheels out there that withstand more shock than this piece. I'm sure someone who's very knowledgeable did a lot of work on it. Failure has to be rare as well.

Typically casting as a process produces more brittle pieces and aluminum is brittle in the first place, though - so a lot of cast aluminum parts have big factors of safety designed in. Aluminum also typically doesn't have an endurance limit, so I'm not sure how someone would design that part taking fatigue into account. Castings can also have inherent flaws and porosity that varies from part to part. Lots of potential failure modes there that are beyond my experience.
Sponsored