Sponsored

GT350 vs Modded Boss 302

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Both are great cars. I traded my 302 for my 359. Honestly wish I could keep both. The Boss with the side pipes has its own unique sound. I did like the rarity of the car, the history behind it. I loved the reflective stripes, tail lights and Grabber Blue of the 13. I love the front end, blaze yellow and the Labuan Secas of the 2012. It is a real good and capable track car. It was amazing to see what the stock car could do on the track at Track Attack with some better brakes and tires, the rest was stock. There are LS models to be had in the mid 30s not tracked if you look hard enough. A 2012 black/red LD just sold at auction for $60K. The 350 is a totally different car and I expect my Track Attack experience will be totally different but as equally rewarding. I do admit the quality issues drive me crazy but I can live with it. Choose wisely but there is no wrong choice. You will love the Boss too.
I agree that a modified Laguna Seca would make an outstanding track car and as you mentioned an LS can be bought in some cases for the mid $30's.

Case in point there is a 2012 LS on eBay right now for $35K with 28,000 mile on it (Dallas area) but seems to be in nice shape for that mileage and would be a great candidate for the OP IMO.

With respect to the 2012 LS that you mentioned being sold at auction recently, if the car that you are referring to was sold at the Florida auction the purchaser paid ~$75,000 for that LS.

;)
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hey guys, I purchased a 2016 GT350 Track Pack back in Dec 2015. I ended up selling the car in March 2016 to help fund a start up. Well Things are going well and I am back in the market for another one. My question is I really like the Boss 302 as well, would a modded Boss 302 out perform a stock GT350? The boss having Upgraded suspension, New pilot super sports, lighter wheels, brakes, power upgrades, ect. I can get a 2012 Boss 302 for almost half the price of a GT350, and with another 10-15k in upgrades Im thinking its more of an attractive option. Also there are less Bosses produced than the GT350.

I loved the exhaust sound of the GT350, but I am leaning more towards performance. I also have a membership to a local race track and would be tracking the car frequently.

Thanks for any advice. :cheers:
I dont see the logic of buying a rare used car that has held its value to put money into it to then ruin that value:)

Wouldnt a base GT be better?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Hey guys, I purchased a 2016 GT350 Track Pack back in Dec 2015. I ended up selling the car in March 2016 to help fund a start up. Well Things are going well and I am back in the market for another one. My question is I really like the Boss 302 as well, would a modded Boss 302 out perform a stock GT350? The boss having Upgraded suspension, New pilot super sports, lighter wheels, brakes, power upgrades, ect. I can get a 2012 Boss 302 for almost half the price of a GT350, and with another 10-15k in upgrades Im thinking its more of an attractive option. Also there are less Bosses produced than the GT350.

I loved the exhaust sound of the GT350, but I am leaning more towards performance. I also have a membership to a local race track and would be tracking the car frequently.

Thanks for any advice. :cheers:
I'd get a used base GT and build it up rather than getting a Boss and then removing/replacing nearly everything that made it a Boss.

Figure $22,000 for a good condition, lower mile base GT.

A Cortex Extreme Grip system is about $6,500 and with the offset strut option will allow you to run 305 wide tires out front, has a torque arm, watts link and really dials it in.

Cobra Jet intake set up ($1,100), exhaust ($2,000), Torsen diff ($800) wheels and tires ($3,000), Steeda big brake kit ($2,400) and dyno tune ($500) and you're still at less than $40,000 and will outperform the Boss in the twisties and the quarter mile. Toss in some extra bracing and call it good.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
^ true, always better to build a cheaper car to go fast then buying an expensive car and modding that up.

I just checked out the Cortex site about 15k (complete suspension and brakes all around) will have you quite a formidable track boss. Just have to address the wheels/tires and getting the suspension settings dialed in. Would still be under the price of a new GT350 $60k out the door.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd get a used base GT and build it up rather than getting a Boss and then removing/replacing nearly everything that made it a Boss.

Figure $22,000 for a good condition, lower mile base GT.

A Cortex Extreme Grip system is about $6,500 and with the offset strut option will allow you to run 305 wide tires out front, has a torque arm, watts link and really dials it in.

Cobra Jet intake set up ($1,100), exhaust ($2,000), Torsen diff ($800) wheels and tires ($3,000), Steeda big brake kit ($2,400) and dyno tune ($500) and you're still at less than $40,000 and will outperform the Boss in the twisties and the quarter mile. Toss in some extra bracing and call it good.
And if you wad it up or burn it down, less crying afterward.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Significantly less tears..and a lot less anger from the GT350/Boss crowd.
I bought my first new generation Boss 302 just less than 6 years ago and certainly don't remember the same kind of attitude with that group compared to the GT350 group.

Having said that and looking back over the last 6 years we never seemed to experience some of the issues on the Boss 302 cars that we are prevalent on the GT350 cars today therefore that puts things more in perspective with respect to recent attitudes.

Lots of frustration by many new GT350 owners and try I to understand both sides.

In the end I really like both my Boss 302 and GT350 cars but they are certainly totally different animals and in more ways than one.

:ford:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I bought my first new generation Boss 302 just less than 6 years ago and certainly don't remember the same kind of attitude with that group compared to the GT350 group.

Having said that and looking back over the last 6 years we never seemed to experience some of the issues on the Boss 302 cars that we are prevalent on the GT350 cars today therefore that puts things more in perspective with respect to recent attitudes.

Lots of frustration by many new GT350 owners and try I to understand both sides.

In the end I really like both my Boss 302 and GT350 cars but they are certainly totally different animals and in more ways than one.

:ford:
This seems to be a sensitive/emo bunch, though to be fair I think the cooler issue set the "tone" for the forum :bolt:

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The boss 302S was raced for many years. From 2011 and still is. Ford performance sold a lot of customer boss 302S race prep cars. There were two race teams racing the Shelby GT350 in 2016 and that's it. No shelby GT 350R-C were ever sold by ford performance. The voodoo engine proved to have durability issues. FP switched the crank in the 5.2 .....story over. Modify the boss car unless you want to experience what multimatic did if you plan to track it a lot.
No dog in this fight.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The boss 302S was raced for many years. From 2011 and still is. Ford sold a lot of customer boss 302S race prep cars. There were two race teams racing the Shelby GT350 in 2016 and that's it. No shelby GT 350R-C were ever sold by ford performance. The voodoo engine proved to have durability issues. FP switched the crank in the 5.2 .....story over. Modify the boss car unless you want to experience what multimatic did.
Is there any documentation on the reliability issues I keep hearing this said. In racing there are other considerations. Cost/Parts Availability etc.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Is there any documentation on the reliability issues I keep hearing this said. In racing there are other considerations. Cost/Parts Availability etc.
I watched every race of the 2016 IMSA Conti series and I do not recall reliability issues with the Voodoo. ??????

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
With respect to the 2012 LS that you mentioned being sold at auction recently, if the car that you are referring to was sold at the Florida auction the purchaser paid ~$75,000 for that LS.

;)
Anything special about that car?

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
The boss 302S was raced for many years. From 2011 and still is. Ford performance sold a lot of customer boss 302S race prep cars. There were two race teams racing the Shelby GT350 in 2016 and that's it. No shelby GT 350R-C were ever sold by ford performance. The voodoo engine proved to have durability issues. FP switched the crank in the 5.2 .....story over. Modify the boss car unless you want to experience what multimatic did if you plan to track it a lot.
No dog in this fight.
I also traded my Boss in for the 350...and while I agree with what PP0001 has said, I think that some of the complaints are different between the 2 cars. I think the cooler situation, and the dealer experience has really soured a lot of people..ADM and general lack of customer service, production delays, phantom allocations, etc. Add to that, some of the fit/finish problems, the recall, and now the failure of some engines.

complaints as related to the B302 if memory served, was a vehicle that was more or less a parts bin car that required some modification for heavy track use-cooling for engine, differential, and brakes in addition to upgrading the brakes. Not to mention the vast MT-82 and clutch related issues. I would say the 350 addresses the B302 shortcomings, but also has introduced a bit of the unknown with the voodoo.

B302 track attack cars needed upgraded cooling and brakes for durability (in addition to safety upgrades)
350 track attack cars from what I've seen have the oil canisters and safety as the only upgrades.

IIRC, the 302S cars were equipped with a real transmission and real brakes, so it isn't quite an apples to apples comparison. Stock vs stock, the B302 would need more modifications for track abuse than the 350. While there have been some production B302 engine failures, I'm not sure how the two engines compare specifically in terms of failure rate. In fairness, I don't know if the GT350R-C used the production GT350 brakes. I think to suggest that the B302 is a more durable car because of its racing use misses the mark a bit.

B302= trans/clutch/diff upgrades/brake upgrades/brake and trans cooling required
GT350= you might blow the motor someday, panel might not be perfectly aligned

Personally, I wish I could have both cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: