Sponsored

Everyday Driver GT350 vs Boss 302

tasman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss mustang
I have both, 12 boss and 16 GT350 TP. It is amazing how much the mustang has progressed in 4 years. I agree GT350 is better on almost all scores. Still enjoy the rawness of the Boss and other times enjoy the attributes of the 350 Feel privileged to have both. Nice review.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I again watched the video and enjoyed it as much or maybe even more the second time around as I had a little more time to absorb your various thoughts and comments.

We all know how terrific the GT350 sounds in Sport Mode let alone what the GT350R sounds like without resonators. Having said that were the baffle plates from the side exhaust still installed in the Boss 302 as it sounded somewhat more quiet than my Boss cars?

Secondly, did the Boss 302 have it's TracKey installed and did you ever use the Red Key during any test driving and if so any noticeable difference?

Over the last 5 years I have had a lot of seat time in my Boss 302 cars but have not had very much time in my GT350 and no time in my GT350R but have driven both cars at Sebring and my question is this.

We all know how much improved the braking, handling and steering is on the new GT350 over the '12/'13 Boss 302 cars but what limited time I have had in the GT350 it seems to me that even with an increase of 82 HP and 49 ft/lb of torque over the Boss 302 there does not seem to be much difference in straight line acceleration based on my gut feel and the data provided so far by various media seems to confirm my suspicions.

You drove both cars extensively and aside from the outstanding improvements with respect to the handling, braking, steering of the GT350 do you agree that 0 - 60 and quarter miles times are very similar for both cars especially if comparing a Boss LS with a GT350 and if so that is interesting considering the horsepower and torque difference between both cars?

It seems to me that the Boss 302 has more low end torque than the GT350 but once the GT350 gets over 5000 RPM the GT350 seems to have the advantage over the Boss.

I would suggest that the Boss 302 engine is a bit underrated from a horsepower/torque standpoint especially if I compare it to driving a current Mustang GT which supposedly only has 9 horsepower less. It is no contest between these two cars from a pure acceleration standpoint at least that is my opinion.

Thanks again for the terrific video and review of two outstanding Mustangs and I hope that sometime in the future that both of you can get your hands on an "R" model after which time you can then provide us with a review of this car outstanding automobile against a base GT350 and/or a comparable competitor?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phattyhales

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang
I again watched the video and enjoyed it as much or maybe even more the second time around as I had a little more time to absorb your various thoughts and comments.

We all know how terrific the GT350 sounds in Sport Mode let alone what the GT350R sounds like without resonators. Having said that were the baffle plates from the side exhaust still installed in the Boss 302 as it sounded somewhat more quiet than my Boss cars?

Secondly, did the Boss 302 have it's TracKey installed and did you ever use the Red Key during any test driving and if so any noticeable difference?

Over the last 5 years I have had a lot of seat time in my Boss 302 cars but have not had very much time in my GT350 and no time in my GT350R but have driven both cars at Sebring and my question is this.

We all know how much improved the braking, handling and steering is on the new GT350 over the '12/'13 Boss 302 cars but what limited time I have had in the GT350 it seems to me that even with an increase of 82 HP and 49 ft/lb of torque over the Boss 302 there does not seem to be much difference in straight line acceleration based on my gut feel and the data provided so far by various media seems to confirm my suspicions.

You drove both cars extensively and aside from the outstanding improvements with respect to the handling, braking, steering of the GT350 do you agree that 0 - 60 and quarter miles times are very similar for both cars especially if comparing a Boss LS with a GT350 and if so that is interesting considering the horsepower and torque difference between both cars?

It seems to me that the Boss 302 has more low end torque than the GT350 but once the GT350 gets over 5000 RPM the GT350 seems to have the advantage over the Boss.

I would suggest that the Boss 302 engine is a bit underrated from a horsepower/torque standpoint especially if I compare it to driving a current Mustang GT which supposedly only has 9 horsepower less. It is no contest between these two cars from a pure acceleration standpoint at least that is my opinion.

Thanks again for the terrific video and review of two outstanding Mustangs and I hope that sometime in the future that both of you can get your hands on an "R" model after which time you can then provide us with a review of this car outstanding automobile against a base GT350 and/or a comparable competitor?

Wow! Lots of great questions and feedback in this comment! First off, let me just say thanks for watching and I am glad you enjoyed it! I want one so bad but I can't afford a $50-70k car on a college student/part time employee budget so I spent a dollar on Hot Wheels one today lol.

I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

The resonators had been removed from this particular Shelby but I do not know about the baffle plates in the Boss. That is a question for [MENTION=16855]bretlasalle[/MENTION].

We only used the Track Key in the Boss and didn't try the standard key so I really can't say on that one either.

The Boss definitely feels quicker down low. At low RPM the GT350 feels asleep in comparison. This is due to the way the two cars put down power. The Boss makes peak torque at a much lower RPM and once it does, it is all downhill from there. The Shelby hits peak torque at about 3000 RPM and continues flat all the way to about 7000 RPM allowing it to pull harder longer.

We don't do instrument testing and simply go by what the manufacturer claims. We focus more on driving dynamics because you can have the fastest car in the world on paper but it might be the most boring car to drive. The GT-R is a good example of this. it is one incredible car but driver involvement just isn't there. You can't drive a spec sheet if that makes sense. There's also very few places that you can drive cars like these at their limit so we don't make it our main focus. On the other end of the spectrum, I might get shot for saying this on this forum but the FR-S/BRZ is a great example of a car that isn't exactly fast but the chassis is so nimble and it keeps the driver involved making it, in our opinion, one of the most fun cars you can buy today. We like it so much that both Todd and I own one. I would say the GT350 does the same thing as for me as my BRZ does but takes it to the next level or three. In short, we rely on our butt dyno and that statistic X that can't really be measured with numbers, the way it makes us feel. It is rare that the three if us come to the same verdict, but with both of these cars we did. Both cars are fantastic!

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Wow! Lots of great questions and feedback in this comment! First off, let me just say thanks for watching and I am glad you enjoyed it! I want one so bad but I can't afford a $50-70k car on a college student/part time employee budget so I spent a dollar on Hot Wheels one today lol.

I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

The resonators had been removed from this particular Shelby but I do not know about the baffle plates in the Boss. That is a question for @bretlasalle.

We only used the Track Key in the Boss and didn't try the standard key so I really can't say on that one either.

The Boss definitely feels quicker down low. At low RPM the GT350 feels asleep in comparison. This is due to the way the two cars put down power. The Boss makes peak torque at a much lower RPM and once it does, it is all downhill from there. The Shelby hits peak torque at about 3000 RPM and continues flat all the way to about 7000 RPM allowing it to pull harder longer.

We don't do instrument testing and simply go by what the manufacturer claims. We focus more on driving dynamics because you can have the fastest car in the world on paper but it might be the most boring car to drive. The GT-R is a good example of this. it is one incredible car but driver involvement just isn't there. You can't drive a spec sheet if that makes sense. There's also very few places that you can drive cars like these at their limit so we don't make it our main focus. On the other end of the spectrum, I might get shot for saying this on this forum but the FR-S/BRZ is a great example of a car that isn't exactly fast but the chassis is so nimble and it keeps the driver involved making it, in our opinion, one of the most fun cars you can buy today. We like it so much that both Todd and I own one. I would say the GT350 does the same thing as for me as my BRZ does but takes it to the next level or three. In short, we rely on our butt dyno and that statistic X that can't really be measured with numbers, the way it makes us feel. It is rare that the three if us come to the same verdict, but with both of these cars we did. Both cars are fantastic!
I appreciate your response to my numerous questions and confirming that the 3 of us are in agreement on pretty much every aspect of these two great cars.

Just my opinion but what the owner did by removing the resonators from the GT350 made an improved difference from a car that already sounded terrific so that is a good lesson for many of us other enthusiasts as the sound of this owners GT350 was intoxicating.

Not that the side baffle plates when removed from the Boss makes any difference from a performance standpoint but with them removed the sound of the side exhaust especially on the drivers side is music to my ears. I put ~140 miles on my LS yesterday and had a hard time not shifting it below 5000 RPM all day due to the incredible sound of the exhaust and of course the exhaust note on my GT350/GT350R will be just as euphoric.

If either of you/both are ever over in the Southeast part of America you are certainly welcome and once I get my R model broken in which will probably not be until next Fall based on my current schedule you are more than welcome to do a video/test comparison of my 2012 Boss 302 LS076 and my 2016 GT350R GR107. In my opinion this would be an interesting comparison of 2 low production volume 2 seat high performance Mustangs with technology set only 4 years apart.

Lastly, for a couple of young guys (younger than any of my 4 children) both you and your team did an outstanding job of reviewing, commenting and providing all of us young and older enthusiasts with real world feedback on the world's favorite Pony Car and I for one am very happy that I came across your video/review on this great forum.

I hope that both of you can continue to keep up the great work!

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Hmm... That could be. We usually put our radios and mic equipment in cupholders.
Not the case re: cupholder resonance. This is a resonance that comes through the dash around 5k rpms (usually in second gear only). I've tried the cupholder vs nothing in cupholder test and it's still there.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
[MENTION=16421]PP0001[/MENTION]

The baffle plates are removed completely on the Boss and RedKey is the only key!!! I think if the mic was placed closer to the side exhaust vs. the rear exhaust it would have been more evident. Having said that, the Shelby is so much louder than the Boss.

OP
OP

Phattyhales

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang
I appreciate your response to my numerous questions and confirming that the 3 of us are in agreement on pretty much every aspect of these two great cars.

Just my opinion but what the owner did by removing the resonators from the GT350 made an improved difference from a car that already sounded terrific so that is a good lesson for many of us other enthusiasts as the sound of this owners GT350 was intoxicating.

Not that the side baffle plates when removed from the Boss makes any difference from a performance standpoint but with them removed the sound of the side exhaust especially on the drivers side is music to my ears. I put ~140 miles on my LS yesterday and had a hard time not shifting it below 5000 RPM all day due to the incredible sound of the exhaust and of course the exhaust note on my GT350/GT350R will be just as euphoric.

If either of you/both are ever over in the Southeast part of America you are certainly welcome and once I get my R model broken in which will probably not be until next Fall based on my current schedule you are more than welcome to do a video/test comparison of my 2012 Boss 302 LS076 and my 2016 GT350R GR107. In my opinion this would be an interesting comparison of 2 low production volume 2 seat high performance Mustangs with technology set only 4 years apart.

Lastly, for a couple of young guys (younger than any of my 4 children) both you and your team did an outstanding job of reviewing, commenting and providing all of us young and older enthusiasts with real world feedback on the world's favorite Pony Car and I for one am very happy that I came across your video/review on this great forum.

I hope that both of you can continue to keep up the great work!

Thanks for the offer! I'll have to pass that on to Todd and Paul. I am one of the camera guys and do some of the writing for our website. There are 4 of use that review cars now but Todd and Paul remain the face of the show on camera.

Sponsored

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Thanks for the offer! I'll have to pass that on to Todd and Paul. I am one of the camera guys and do some of the writing for our website. There are 4 of use that review cars now but Todd and Paul remain the face of the show on camera.

I figured you guys might be based in the bay area since you did the shoot in the east bay.
I'm a fan of the show.
I have a nicely-modded boss and a no-electronics GT350R so the comparo comments resonated. (no punn intended)
If you guys want to do a GT350R piece (again, a no-electronics) car, I would be willing to let you use mine. My Focus RS should be here in a few weeks too...GT350R vs Focus RS could be a fun one.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I have to say that I have never experienced a console resonance issue... I do notice, however, that if I have metal on metal (i.e., key fob touching keychain) anywhere in the car while driving I get that resonance.

May be it was the junk sitting in the cupholders, idk, but as for my car, no crazy resonances.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
@PP0001

The baffle plates are removed completely on the Boss and RedKey is the only key!!! I think if the mic was placed closer to the side exhaust vs. the rear exhaust it would have been more evident. Having said that, the Shelby is so much louder than the Boss.
Thanks for confirming the above and great idea you had about removing the resonators which is similar to the "R" models!

Did you notice a big improvement in sound after removal of the resonators or was it not that much different?:shrug:

Would you recommend for others to do the same and any downside to the removal of the resonators?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Understood and you 4 amigos keep up the nice work!

:cheers:

OP
OP

Phattyhales

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang
I figured you guys might be based in the bay area since you did the shoot in the east bay.
I'm a fan of the show.
I have a nicely-modded boss and a no-electronics GT350R so the comparo comments resonated. (no punn intended)
If you guys want to do a GT350R piece (again, a no-electronics) car, I would be willing to let you use mine. My Focus RS should be here in a few weeks too...GT350R vs Focus RS could be a fun one.
That would be very interesting for sure. We are currently hunting for a Focus RS. If you or anyone else reading this would like to offer up cars for us to use please use this link:
http://www.everydaydriver.com/#!contact/sb121

We are actually based in Park City, UT but travel around as necessary.
Sponsored