Sponsored

GT350 vs Camaro 1LE

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
Found this information regarding 1LE vs GT350 from Al O. I can't wait to see a head to head.
Mustang versus Camaro, Camaro versus Mustang. It’s an ongoing battle fought at drag strips, stop lights and various road courses across the United States. The latest shots were fired in the Windy City after Chevrolet revealed the 2017 Camaro 1LE in both a V6 variant and traditional V8-powered package.
During our time to chat with Al Oppenheiser, chief Camaro engineer, we got right down to business and asked what everyone wants to know: will the 2017 Camaro SS 1LE outperform the Shelby GT350?
“That’s obviously our intent. I have the answer, but I’ll let the rest of you decide how we did. Our goal is to up the game with our competitor, just like they upped the game with the GT350. Everyone had to expect we would punch back. I will tell you this car is three seconds faster than the previous 1LE. Your readers can go out and make their own conclusions,” Oppenheiser stated in utmost confidence.
It surely sounds like the GT350 is going to have something more to worry about when the 1LE hits the streets later this year, especially knowing the Camaro team benchmarked the hopped up Mustang.
“We’re plowing new ground with the V6 1LE, and for the SS 1LE, our initial target benchmark was the fifth-generation 1LE. But, obviously, Ford came out with their GT350 and we changed our sights. We’re not worried,” he added.
And so the battle continues.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/02/...#ixzz409GtB5gI

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
ill be stunned if the 1LE can keep up with the gt350.
Same here, but looking at the bench racing at streets of willow race track lap times, the new 1le might be as fast as the new cayman gt4. 3 seconds faster than the gen5 is probably on a longer track.

How does a cayman gt4 compare to a base or track pack gt350? Not the R version!

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Same here, but looking at the bench racing at streets of willow race track lap times, the new 1le might be as fast as the new cayman gt4. 3 seconds faster than the gen5 is probably on a longer track.

How does a cayman gt4 compare to a base or track pack gt350? Not the R version!
Now that they seemed to have fixed the understeer reported in the early tests, I'm guessing the GT4 will be a little faster than the GT350 track, with track type not mattering as much as you would think. The power deficit is offset by lower frontal area and lower weight. Need to look at the numbers closer, but I'd expect even a fast track for not a whole lot to change. The C7 Z51 does better at faster tracks than slower tracks Vs the GT350, but its got 80hp up on the GT4 while also being lighter and lower drag than the GT350.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Three seconds faster is on a two minute track.
Then on streets of willow with a really pro driver we can assume 2.4 seconds? It can't be right. It will put it close to c6 z07 performance, which is not possible. My guess is close to a gt4 cayman!

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Found this information regarding 1LE vs GT350 from Al O. I can't wait to see a head to head.
So he knows the answer, but will not state it despite the direct question. Again, if it were faster, he'd say it was. More likely, in a head-to-head, it could likely go either way, depending on the track the comparison is made on. This way, if some magazine pits a SS w/1LE package against a base GT350 and it loses, he can't be called a liar.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Then on streets of willow with a really pro driver we can assume 2.4 seconds? It can't be right. It will put it close to c6 z07 performance, which is not possible. My guess is close to a gt4 cayman!

That's the same thing that I thought, and that's why you can't take these things at face value. We will see once there's a head to head with the same driver on the same day. The fact is, all cars are getting to the point that they're really good now. Unless you're a professional driver, you're not going to be able to split the difference between them.

The GT350 is much more than that to many people. It's about the fun factor, the way that it makes you feel, how comfortable you are with the car, and the uniqueness of the car's character and sound. That's why I think the 1LE will most likely be the better deal on paper, but more people will like the GT350 better.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
That's the same thing that I thought, and that's why you can't take these things at face value. We will see once there's a head to head with the same driver on the same day. The fact is, all cars are getting to the point that they're really good now. Unless you're a professional driver, you're not going to be able to split the difference between them.

The GT350 is much more than that to many people. It's about the fun factor, the way that it makes you feel, how comfortable you are with the car, and the uniqueness of the car's character and sound. That's why I think the 1LE will most likely be the better deal on paper, but more people will like the GT350 better.
You are absolutely right! The gt350 will sell no matter what, that engine, the raw driving dynamics, how beautiful the car looks and that sexy exhaust note.

So on chevy website i was able to add brembo package, active exhaust and magna ride to a 1ss and it comes out around $43,000. The 1 le package might add stiffer ride setup, more rubber and cooling. My guess is its going to be just shy or right around $45 grand for a 1ss/le

Sponsored

aethyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I for one, think this is great news.

If it does indeed, match or come very close to the GT350, that's good for everyone. It gives a more affordable performance option to the rest of the world, and frankly it will push Ford to do better. Competition is a good thing.

Second, it may help get rid of adm on the 350.

I do find the comments about the 1le lacking the "refinement" and styling of the 350 to be rather ironic. Isn't the GT350 itself a budget performance vehicle that offers high end performance, while sacrificing the refinement of its more expensive competitors?

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I for one, think this is great news.

If it does indeed, match or come very close to the GT350, that's good for everyone. It gives a more affordable performance option to the rest of the world, and frankly it will push Ford to do better. Competition is a good thing.

Second, it may help get rid of adm on the 350.

I do find the comments about the 1le lacking the "refinement" and styling of the 350 to be rather ironic. Isn't the GT350 itself a budget performance vehicle that offers high end performance, while sacrificing the refinement of its more expensive competitors?
Yes you are correct, it doesn't have a quality stereo or some of the refinements
being compared to $100 to 150k cars. Just a bit of a difference.

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Cars are getting better and better with each iteration. Sooner or later they will all be closely bunched. You can only push the laws of physics so far.

But a car is much more than a set of numbers...

The Mustang is a Ford Icon, the Camaro is just another GM. That will never change.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The only thing holding the Camaro back from having exactly the same icon-level status at Chevrolet that the Mustang has at Ford is the Corvette. Can't be up-staging the halo car.

But it's close, and the tunnel vision otherwise known as brand loyalty can't change that.

Norm

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
The only thing holding the Camaro back from having exactly the same icon-level status at Chevrolet that the Mustang has at Ford is the Corvette. Can't be up-staging the halo car.

But it's close, and the tunnel vision otherwise known as brand loyalty can't change that.

Norm
I agree. Those that think the Camaro is better than the Mustang have tunnel vision and aren't loyal Ford owners.:cheers:
Sponsored