Sponsored

GT350 trailering wheels

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
All, last weekend was the 1st event I trailered my 350R to. To put it simply its a bit nerve racking to get my car on and off the trailer with the carbon wheels. I had an idea I'm wondering if anyone has tried. I thought if a set of stock 20" wheels off a GT would fit on the car? Being narrower it might make putting the car on the trailer less tedious. At the very least I would not worry about nicking one of those wheels on the trailer.
I'd only use the wheels for trailering. I realize it might take a spacer as well.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Not a bad idea. Maybe you could find some wheels that could also serve an all-season purpose as well. Narrower with tires more cold/wet tolerant than Cup2’s?

Oops! Just noticed you’re in FL. Maybe you don’t need what I was suggesting.

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Yeah no need for all seasons down here. I'm also fortunate to not have to drive my car other than special occasions.
I'm just trying to make life maybe a bit easier minus the fact of having to do a tire change in a paddock.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah no need for all seasons down here. I'm also fortunate to not have to drive my car other than special occasions.
I'm just trying to make life maybe a bit easier minus the fact of having to do a tire change in a paddock.
A set of flow forged wheels are generally cheap. Id be surprised if stock GT mustang wheels fit over the calipers of the 350. I'd look for used 350 wheels on the classified section of buy a cheap set of flow forged wheels if you want to save your CF from accidental trailer damage.

I would not buy fully forged for something like this. Save your money.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Have you considered a winch for your trailer? Pulling it on, when outside the car you can really watch whats happening. Use a snatch block, and that slows it down even more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
I do have a winch on the trailer. I haven't used it yet due to not having put a tow hook on the car yet. It is next on my list of things to do.
Honestly I'm not sure that's going to be the perfect solution either. I'll still need help getting the car aligned perfectly to the trailer before winching it up on the trailer.
I have a Timpte 720 drop trailer. I probably have a max of 2" on each side beyond the tires. It is a bit tedious of a process.
All in all its not a bad process I'm just trying to make life the easiest possible of unloading and loading the trailer. Last weekend was my first event I trailered to so I'm still refining my processes.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think you will create more headaches by adding temp rims into the mix. Just a thought, get yourself lined up, then find a fixed object in the car, and line it up with something on the trailer. Hit that every time, you know you are gold. Maybe put some painters tape somewhere on the back of the stone guard on the front to establish a fixed point?

I didn't realize those Timpte's were so narrow! Thanks for sharing, I am looking at trailers myself, and Timpte was high on my list.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Get a go pro and put it so it looks at your car from your truck and use your phone to see how you are looking while you load it up

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
If you only have 2” clearance on each side, you’re gonna want to put several of these measures in place to avoid contact. Some combination of a winch, a narrower track, spotter/camera and alignment marks on the trailer are in order. Continuing to drive onto the trailer is asking for trouble.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
I think you will create more headaches by adding temp rims into the mix. Just a thought, get yourself lined up, then find a fixed object in the car, and line it up with something on the trailer. Hit that every time, you know you are gold. Maybe put some painters tape somewhere on the back of the stone guard on the front to establish a fixed point?

I didn't realize those Timpte's were so narrow! Thanks for sharing, I am looking at trailers myself, and Timpte was high on my list.
My brother and I were talking about this too. I'm thinking of putting a construction laser on the bulkhead of the trailer or the car pointing to a specific point opposite of the laser.

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R

I do like the Timpte. All in all it was a great price as well. The deck is 81" wide. My R is a wide car.
Sponsored