Sponsored

GT350 block strength

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
when was I rude? What does it matter what my plans are, obviously pushing a block to the limits of failure via forced induction or other means.

Are you a young person or something? How do you deal with real life?
I don't believe you are that obtuse. You got an answer you didn't like and you were a jerk about it. Own it. Don't try to hide.

.. And I see you are doubling down. To answer your third insult in this thread, I am young at heart. I seem to get by, but at times it can be difficult.

So what other means of pushing the block to the limit are you considering?
Sponsored

OP
OP

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
you are putting words in my mouth, what exactly made you think I didn't like you saying "I don't know," twice in response to my question? This is just a conversation. I don't even know what I said, damn right I'm obtuse. I'm confused! Nothing in this world is black and white, I am a problem solver and threw this out there for any sort of information at all, anecdotal or otherwise. Don't take it so hard! Why does it matter?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
5.2 block has 8lbs of materials removed from the block. It's lighter and meant for NA power. If you're sleeving, it shouldn't matter too much. Without sleeves, the 5.0 block is a better option for boost.
The Voodoo has a different reinforcement configuration than the Coyote block does too though. I'd be willing to bet lbs for lbs, no pun intended, they're probably about equal. The Voodoo definitely has better harmonic compensation too. For obvious reasons.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The Voodoo has a different reinforcement configuration than the Coyote block does too though. I'd be willing to bet lbs for lbs, no pun intended, they're probably about equal. The Voodoo definitely has better harmonic compensation too. For obvious reasons.
Could be. I definitely don't know enough to confirm. One thing I did learn over and over in my engine re-building journey - most builders tell you they can build a badass coyote that performs equal to the 5.2 for much less. Many also preferred older coyotes (2013 maybe?) due to a specific bolt design.

I'll venture to guess the best block going forward will be a sleeved 5.2 from the GT500.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Could be. I definitely don't know enough to confirm. One thing I did learn over and over in my engine re-building journey - most builders tell you they can build a badass coyote that performs equal to the 5.2 for much less. Many also preferred older coyotes (2013 maybe?) due to a specific bolt design.

I'll venture to guess the best block going forward will be a sleeved 5.2 from the GT500.
I remember Hameedi at the time talking about how the block was strengthened over the Coyote using valley supporters and material in a few others critical spots. Yes the Voodoo does definitely seem very cost prohibitive against a Coyote. Everything is just so readily available and cheap, relatively speaking.

As far as Coyotes go, I think it's the Gen 2's were the magic sauce for durability and reliability. That's what the consensus is with the big names such as VMP, Lund, etc etc. I know L&M has done a few blocks that were made to hold over 1500 RWHP through an auto.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The 2011-2012 Gen 1 used the the longer 12 mm head studs, same as the Gen 3 and revised 5.2 block.
Less incidents of cracking in the valley and better head clamping .
That would be the “best “ block sleeved if you can get your hands on one .

L&M recommends the longer head bolts for high horses power builds and will convert a block with 11mm bolts/studs to the use longer 12 mm bolts /studs for $999).

I am going to have them convert one of my sleeved blocks .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think you are right. The 2020 GT500 and GT350 will get the strongest block. It will be best from the standpoint of strength, at least. Builders may still prefer the earlier Coyotes, so that their customer spends less on the components and more on the builder's labor. However, I can't imagine the Coyote being stronger than the 2020+ GT500 and GT350 block.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Drum roll please... FP just released the "Gen 3" 5.2 block with a long list of "why it's the best ever" things:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6010-M52B

• Upgraded version of previous Ford Performance M-6010-M52 and M-6010-M52A 5.2L Coyote Aluminum Cylinder Blocks
  • Features higher flow oil squirters to provide added piston cooling
  • Rod bolt path is clearance machined in crankcase of block
  • Improved high-performance casting of the Coyote block with improvements to support higher horsepower engine builds
  • Utlizes Longer (187mm) 12 mm cylinder head bolts to provide greater clamping force (requires longer Head Bolt Kit - M-6067-M501280, or M-6067-M52B head changing kit)
  • Improved crankcase windage
  • 94.0 mm bore
  • Water jacket below cylinder bore has been updated to add more material for strength
  • The intake side of the bore at the deck surface includes a cast-in brace to improve strength of the cylinder wall and head gasket sealing
  • Block features plasma transferred wire arc spray weld liner coating
  • Liner coating provides improved durability and heat transfer, reduced friction, and a weight savings compared to previous 5.0L Mustang GT aluminum blocks
  • Cylinder liner coating does not require unique piston rings or piston material
  • Cylinder bores are finish-honed and ready to assemble
  • All block features are finish-machined including head deck and crank bore
  • Cross-bolted nodular iron main bearing caps
  • Uses 12 mm cylinder head bolts
  • Block has provisions for piston oil squirters
  • Includes plugs and dowels, and oil squirters
There are also a bunch of other new parts, like unfinished 5.2 cranks and GT4 timing chain guides.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Deleted previous post as I was wrong .

As stated above it’s the updated version of the previous update which was M52A.

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
I think you are right. The 2020 GT500 and GT350 will get the strongest block. It will be best from the standpoint of strength, at least. Builders may still prefer the earlier Coyotes, so that their customer spends less on the components and more on the builder's labor. However, I can't imagine the Coyote being stronger than the 2020+ GT500 and GT350 block.
I thought I read the 2019's already have the 2020 GT500 block?

Sponsored

Kane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
5 years passed, still no accurate answers lol.

If you trying to build gen 3 motor boosted, is it worth to get gt350 block or not?
I might be able to get decent deal on gt350 block but is it worth spending any money on it rather than using my own GT block?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 years passed, still no accurate answers lol.

If you trying to build gen 3 motor boosted, is it worth to get gt350 block or not?
I might be able to get decent deal on gt350 block but is it worth spending any money on it rather than using my own GT block?
it is .

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brett LaSala's car uses a Predator block with custom sleeves. Probably answer the question on what's the strongest setup you can get.
Sponsored