Sponsored

GT BASE/ WHY NOT STAY WITH 18"wheels but go with wider rims?

Indyorangepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition Orange 15' GT base 6 spd
What is the advantage of going with a 19" or 20" wheel? Handling pros vs cons etc....I live in rural Indiana and the roads are mostly crap from the hard winters and poor upkeep.I want wider wheels but something keeps bringing me back to the idea of staying with 18" diameter.I do plan on adding some good coil overs and other suspension mods. Everyone seems to go with 20's or 19's and I just don't get it. I like fat , meaty tires. Big' ole wagon wheels don't do much for me .Am I "old" ???
IMG_1022.jpg
Sponsored

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
I think its mostly looks, I think that 18s can have the better comfort due to more tire and we all know that tires are actually part of suspension, som better and some worse. the width will make a difference for sure and also take iento consideration unsprung weight. others will come in behind be and add more info.

SMJBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT vert
Benefit of 19' and 20" is a stiffer side wall which will help handling /cornering. The trade off is a stiffer ride. Larger contact patch will give you more traction on dry pavement. Trade off for this is a more pronounced tracking on bad roads. Keep in mind that for whatever mod there is always a trade off...some you can easily live with some will become annoying overtime. You just need to strike the right balance taking in account where most of the driving will take place. Given what you have said IMHO I would stay with the 18".

peppersam740

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
wheels 18

People like the look or they track their car. Less side wall flex in tight turns with a 20 in wheel. Rough roads and no track stick with the 18's

Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Have thought of widening the stock foundry wheels and running a 295 or so width in the back and leave the stock 235's in the front. OR finding a nice set of 18's that are wider for the rear and still leave the stock tires in front.

OP
OP

Indyorangepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition Orange 15' GT base 6 spd
how would I go about having the factory wheels widened??? that would be perfect if i could widen the rear wheels to accept a 295 or so tire.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
18 inch road race tires have low profile side walls so they ride no better than 20 inch wheels and they lower the car without loosing suspension travel. Tall 18 inch tires give good ride comfort but because of the tall side wall they loose steering feel and just don't handle as well. 18" may be lighter than the same wheel in 20" but aren't lighter than light weight 20" so depending on how much you want to spend will determine how heavy the wheels are not necessarily the diameter. 20" wheels and larger tires look the best and give the allusion that the car is smaller than it really is IMO.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Check out the 18x10 SVE drifts. Wider and look great.
Sponsored