GT 350 just got crushed by the C8

Status
Not open for further replies.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Probably true. But my understanding is that the Stingray is intentionally dialed back a notch in terms of track character because it is expected that few Stingray drivers will take them to the track. So to get the great 0-60 and quarter mile performance and compromise a bit on the road track handling is probably a wise play. The focus was more on straight line performance and delivering a mid-engine car that the novice mid-engine driver could drive around town, maybe hoon it up a bit and not find themselves lodged under a food truck Or something. The track focused Vettes (Grand Sport, Z06) are where the real performance value of ME handling potential will come out.

That’s true. Until the LT6 and LT7 show up.
by then, the KR should be out as well to compare engines with. Good times.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Way more special based on what? Your feeling?
What a dumb question. It makes something like 54% more horsepower. You think a 495 hp engine is equivalent to a 760 hp engine?

Sure limited production is a factor, but power production means something to me. Isn't that the primary purpose of a performance engine - to make power?

I realize Chevy can't put an engine making 760 hp in the base C8. Where would they go from there to charge more? They have to come up with something for the higher up models that will cost $120k or whatever.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I'm not interested in the GT500 for myself to purchase, but the engine in the GT500 is way more special than the LT2.
Way more special based on what? Your feeling?
Limited production
Limited production is a thing, but I think why it's limited production is the key. They're hand built by a small specially trained crew in their own little environment. It promotes attention to detail. For a lot of people that doesn't mean a hill of beans, especially if the end product is arguably no different than anything else in its class. Not true here, though. 146 hp/l is outstanding for a "factory built" engine. The high revs help get that output, but again, that becomes part of what makes it special. The LT5 (a special engine in its own right) delivers 122 hp/l. Of course, comparing specific output of a boosted DOHC to a boosted OHV is like comparing apples to strawberries. Both very tasty, but built a lot differently.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
They're hand built by a small specially trained crew in their own little environment. It promotes attention to detail.
That's nice in theory. Practice appears to be different - nee oil consumption, at least by the 15-17MY series. If improper selection of pistons, rings and bearings isn't the culprit, it doesn't matter if it's hand built if Ford can't bore the damn cylinders correctly.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
That's nice in theory. Practice appears to be different - nee oil consumption, at least by the 15-17MY series. If improper selection of pistons, rings and bearings isn't the culprit, it doesn't matter if it's hand built if Ford can't bore the damn cylinders correctly.
That's my biggest disappointment with the GT350. It's an amazing engine and the car that's wrapped around it is a fun and controllable beast. I would still consider buying one, but the oil consumption thing would nag the hell out of me. Especially if I got a car that experienced it. Since Ford is on record as saying anything less than a quart per 500 miles is within the range of normal I'd only consider buying a used one with records that monitor oil usage. I could see if Ford specified 500 miles of track use, but I don't think that's what they said. This makes the "hand built" thing a double edged sword. Because they are currently hand-built, once the vehicle goes out of production, Ford needs to make decision on how they handle service parts for it. Let me dispel one very popular m-y-t-h. Automakers are not required to maintain service parts availability for 10 years beyond end of production. That clause is only built into contracts for vehicles supplied to federal and state governments. They are required to provide capability for the vehicle to be repaired when it is within warranty.

I led the end-of-production planning for the LT5 Mercury Marine engine for the 1989 - 1995 Corvette ZR1. It was like herding cats. Part-by-part decisions had to be made to either set up a new supplier or do a lifetime run of components and store them. Since Mercury Marine was eager to tear down their assembly line, we had to buy the last X# of engines coming off the line and store them in an undisclosed location and place VIN# and core charge controls on them. I envision similar for Voodoo when GT500 ends production in a few years.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Let me dispel one very popular m-y-t-h. Automakers are not required to maintain service parts availability for 10 years beyond end of production. That clause is only built into contracts for vehicles supplied to federal and state governments.
How to convince Trump he needs a GT350R for cavalcade lead?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That's my biggest disappointment with the GT350. It's an amazing engine and the car that's wrapped around it is a fun and controllable beast. I would still consider buying one, but the oil consumption thing would nag the hell out of me. Especially if I got a car that experienced it. Since Ford is on record as saying anything less than a quart per 500 miles is within the range of normal I'd only consider buying a used one with records that monitor oil usage. I could see if Ford specified 500 miles of track use, but I don't think that's what they said. This makes the "hand built" thing a double edged sword. Because they are currently hand-built, once the vehicle goes out of production, Ford needs to make decision on how they handle service parts for it. Let me dispel one very popular m-y-t-h. Automakers are not required to maintain service parts availability for 10 years beyond end of production. That clause is only built into contracts for vehicles supplied to federal and state governments. They are required to provide capability for the vehicle to be repaired when it is within warranty.

I led the end-of-production planning for the LT5 Mercury Marine engine for the 1989 - 1995 Corvette ZR1. It was like herding cats. Part-by-part decisions had to be made to either set up a new supplier or do a lifetime run of components and store them. Since Mercury Marine was eager to tear down their assembly line, we had to buy the last X# of engines coming off the line and store them in an undisclosed location and place VIN# and core charge controls on them. I envision similar for Voodoo when GT500 ends production in a few years.
And all that is precisely why I never pulled the trigger on a GT350 despite wanting to and getting very close. Almost a certainty that I'd get an oil burner (or worse) with my luck. I'm not much of a gambler, especially with cars I intend to keep long-term.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The KR is to Shelby as Heffner is to Gallardo.
Waaay off the mark.
Lambo doesn’t build cars with Hefner in the process.

as for the gt500 It’s not some aftermarket tuner car. All Ford parts and all Ford calibration, installed at Shelby ( in collaboration with Ford As throughpought history) to give it some “heritage” instead of the regular Ford techs putting the legos together,

Your example is more akin to the Hennessy Camaro hpe 650, which is a modded car using various aftermarket parts, aftermarket calibration, no connection to oR call on oration with GM, no factory warranty from GM and not sold through GM.

troll harder next time.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Practice appears to be different - nee oil consumption, at least by the 15-17MY series.
This was a fun watch.
I didn't see any effort to mic the various parts but honestly that would likely have been done off-camera by the staging group where an electronic probe would have measured and selected the compatible mix of bearings, rings, and pistons to be laid out on the tray.

Note, unlike modern facilities these parts weren't (do not appear to be) scanned in so the computer could cross-check the human to make sure the correct set of parts was being inserted into the correct bore.

The manner in which these parts were removed () makes me wonder if orientation or position was maintained.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Waaay off the mark.
Lambo doesn’t build cars with Hefner in the process.

as for the gt500 It’s not some aftermarket tuner car. All Ford parts and all Ford calibration, installed at Shelby ( in collaboration with Ford As throughpought history) to give it some “heritage” instead of the regular Ford techs putting the legos together,

Your example is more akin to the Hennessy Camaro hpe 650, which is a modded car using various aftermarket parts, aftermarket calibration, no connection to oR call on oration with GM, no factory warranty from GM and not sold through GM.

troll harder next time.
KR is not made by Ford and then just installed by Shelby. It's after market parts installed by a tuner. You're right, Hefner makes his own parts and makes custom internals, so it is way different. And Ford Racing is not Ford, the factory team. Learn a thing or two before you start acting like a condescending girl.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
What a dumb question. It makes something like 54% more horsepower. You think a 495 hp engine is equivalent to a 760 hp engine?

Sure limited production is a factor, but power production means something to me. Isn't that the primary purpose of a performance engine - to make power?

I realize Chevy can't put an engine making 760 hp in the base C8. Where would they go from there to charge more? They have to come up with something for the higher up models that will cost $120k or whatever.
It's not a dumb question. You said it was more special. It has no ground breaking features. It's a CPC 4V V8 with a blower. It's been done many times before. And hand built doesn't equal better quality, go ask the GT350 guys about that. Or anyone who had the M156 MB engine pop. Ford couldn't even be bothered to put a dry sump on it. My Corvette 10 years ago had it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And hand built doesn't equal better quality
The GT500 engine is assembly-line produced. Hand-built generally means one or a pair of technicians build the entire motor from start to finish. This is very much NOT the case.

Compare and contrast to this or any other AMG or Porsche engine build video.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.