Sponsored

Grinding and scratching sound

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
There is also a friction modifier in the rear end. My wifes 99 GT did something similar and i added a little more and it was good. Maybe they are on to something.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Oh its definitely possible. I'm not saying I disagree with the tech, just that it seemed off for the already stated reasons.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Oh its definitely possible. I'm not saying I disagree with the tech, just that it seemed off for the already stated reasons.
There was a thread on here somewhere that talked about adding more additive to the MT-82 to improve the shifting, even though it already comes that way from the factory. I think it was in the transmission forum. I don't recall anything about it curing noises.

OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Yea I saw that thread a while back. Was considering a fluid swap on my EB just to see if it was everything it was all cracked up to be, but never did it because my MT-82 was shifting fine.

That said, I'm having no issue with shifting at all. The actual action of the transmission feels exactly the way my EB did. There's gear whine compared to my EB, but I chalk it up to the Torsen diff.

The most surprising thing about this to me is that neither dealer's first move was to resolve the exhaust rattle. Even if parts were needed, they could probably at least stop the rattle itself and put it back together while waiting to troubleshoot the trans with no extraneous noises. Again, not questioning them or their expertise, but it seems like a good first step.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The most surprising thing about this to me is that neither dealer's first move was to resolve the exhaust rattle. Even if parts were needed, they could probably at least stop the rattle itself and put it back together while waiting to troubleshoot the trans with no extraneous noises. Again, not questioning them or their expertise, but it seems like a good first step.
I still think it's the exhaust system rattling when the engine gets bogged down some and makes the exhaust system move and shake. If it was the transmission, you'd probably hear noises other times besides when bogging down the engine doing slowly up inclines, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

While I think there's a good chance you're right, what happens now is up to the dealer. I gave them the info I had and they're going another way with it. The foreman, tech and service writer at the dealer I'll be working with all seemed legitimately concerned with making sure this is handled properly and not like it was just another job to get through. That makes me feel better about the whole thing.

Going to bring up the exhaust rattle with them again, but let them do their thing as they see fit.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
They should probably neutralize the exhaust and make sure thats not the issue. I also agree with the engine bogging and exhaust approach.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a test to see if it's the exhaust system. Pull the emergency brake hard, then put it in 1st gear and load the engine down some like you do when climbing your incline. If you can make the noise appear without the car even moving, then it's probably the exhaust system rattling.

OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Took that suggestion. Was not able to replicate the sound before the engine won out over the handbrake.

Did some other tests while out on a quick beer run:
1. The scratch actually seems like it is constant while in gear, just very faint.
B. Transitioning between engine brake and light acceleration or cruising and to engine braking results in an ever so slightly more noticeable quick scratch.
III. Can't verify this but it almost seems like it only happens in gear. Did my best to ride the engagement point, but even with the spring removed it's tough to feel the transition and I'm basically wearing glorified canvas shoes.

Unfortunately I'm now focusing so much on every single little noise now that I'm starting to worry that I'll confuse normal sounds for an/the issue. Having a tough time keeping it real with what I hear.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took that suggestion. Was not able to replicate the sound before the engine won out over the handbrake.

Did some other tests while out on a quick beer run:
1. The scratch actually seems like it is constant while in gear, just very faint.
In any gear, or just 1st? I know if you pull the shifter over to the left while in 1st gear, you'll most likely hear noises you never usually hear if the shifter isn't pulled over more than it's natural resting spot.

B. Transitioning between engine brake and light acceleration or cruising and to engine braking results in an ever so slightly more noticeable quick scratch.
III. Can't verify this but it almost seems like it only happens in gear. Did my best to ride the engagement point, but even with the spring removed it's tough to feel the transition and I'm basically wearing glorified canvas shoes.
Sometimes I hear a strange kind of faint 'grrr, grrr, grrr' sound from my MT-82 when I'm slowing down and coast down to 15 MPH and below. Anything above 15 MPH and I can't hear any noises.

After lots of testing I determined it's coming from the transmission, and for some reason caused by the turning of the input shaft and output shaft at the same time. If I coast down hill with the engine off (input shaft doesn't rotate) and in neutral, then it's totally quiet. Or if I blip the throttle while coasting in neutral (causing the input shaft speed to change speed) then it will stop. In my case, I just ignore it and chalked it up to 'normal'.

You might try a few tests like that to see if you can make it come or go.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
It's any gear. Even reverse has the scratch.

If I'm not in gear I hear nothing. Didn't think to mention that. It is only when I'm in gear with the clutch out that I hear anything. Though you've given me the idea to try coasting in gear with the clutch pressed again to make sure I'm not crazy.

OP
OP

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Been a little bit now since my last post, but I have an update.

Car has been at dealer since yesterday to have fluid changed out and have them check out that exhaust rattle. When they were putting in paperwork regarding the work being done, Ford got involved. The had the tech check a few things and then overruled the dealer. The dealer was outright told, "Do not change the fluid in this transmission, this is normal, you are not to do anything." Service advisor at this dealer had them send over the associated documentation where Ford outlines how exactly it is normal and I'll hopefully be able to see that later.

As for the exhaust rattle, the passenger cat is faulty and a replacement is being ordered. Hopefully it turns out some of the sound is due to the rattle in the converter.

I'll just have to wait and see what happens once the exhaust is sorted. Not much else I can do until then anyway.
Sponsored