Grille Shutters - Not So Much

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The shutters are for faster warmup and extreme cold operation.
Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Does the car throw a code when you unplug it? I was thinking about unplugging it the next time I'm out at the track to see if I got better cooling. But don't want to be driving around with a code on the dash.
You can rip the AGS system out, but always leave the small motor plugged and tucked away under the front crash bar via tiebacks. You will get a soft code via ECU, but not a CEL......

Anthony

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2023 Auto Ecoboost, 2020 Tesal Model 3
The shutters are for faster warmup and extreme cold operation.
I didn't think despite claims to the opposite that they are an aerodynamic feature, if anything it would be worse for slipping through the air

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I assume you bought this as a used car? If so, the previous owner may have removed the shutter assembly. I don't believe the rubber flap you have is a factory installation.
Yes, it is. Mine had it and no shutters, too. 2018 performance package model.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Yes, it is. Mine had it and no shutters, too. 2018 performance package model.
Well, learned something new! Just as an aside, my 88 Porsche 928 also has grill shutters, which, according to Porsche literature, were there for better aerodynamics at higher speeds.........

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Well, learned something new! Just as an aside, my 88 Porsche 928 also has grill shutters, which, according to Porsche literature, were there for better aerodynamics at higher speeds.........
We've owned three Fusion Hybrids and they're used to warm the car up faster in the winter, since the ICE is the only source of heat. And they also apparently help with aerodynamics and efficiency. However, a deer took out most of the shutters in my wife's car several years ago and I've honestly noticed no difference at all. 🤷‍♂️

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
4 cyl engines heat up pretty fast on their own so removing them anywhere short of Alaska, Canada or Siberia (lol) shouldn't be much of an issue.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
We've owned three Fusion Hybrids and they're used to warm the car up faster in the winter, since the ICE is the only source of heat. And they also apparently help with aerodynamics and efficiency. However, a deer took out most of the shutters in my wife's car several years ago and I've honestly noticed no difference at all. 🤷‍♂️
I am also unsure of if they truly improve fuel mileage, but I can say that last June while on the Hot Rod power tour I got the best mileage from mine going from Memphis to Nashville on I-40 of 35.5 MPG over about 250 miles of 95% interstate travel with the shutters operational. On trips of roughly the same travel distances and roads the best I have seen is 33MPG with the shutters disconnected in the open position. This is cruising at 74/75 MPH on cruise control.

I now have the radiator shutters disconnected in the open position and the IC connector link removed and ty wrapped the IC shutters at a slight downward angle to direct airflow straight at the IC all the time.

My engine temps never exceed 185/190 degrees while moving above 20 MPH with A/C off until I have to sit in traffic for more than a few minutes. With A/C on temp stays at 185/190 all the time which is what I prefer.

BD

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I noticed about a 1mpg drop over a long highway road trip with the shutters locked out, so they do help a little bit

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
If you're worried about efficiency and MPGs but still want to get better cooling, you can always just unplug the connector and they stay wide open. I would do that before a track event when I needed all the cooling, then plugged it back in for the street to get 1-2 more MPGs. It took all of 20 seconds to do it.
Is this something that can be done without taking off the bumper? If so, would like to know how to do.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is this something that can be done without taking off the bumper? If so, would like to know how to do.
To fully remove them you need to take the bumper off.

If you take the radiator cover off, look down to where the hood latch sits and you'll see a plug that can you can reach down to and unplug.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
To fully remove them you need to take the bumper off.

If you take the radiator cover off, look down to where the hood latch sits and you'll see a plug that can you can reach down to and unplug.
IMO this is a superior method to removing them completely, since all the ducting that they're built into channels airflow into the radiator. When I lock mine out in the summer the car rarely hits 200F. The only problem is sealing off the plug and motor from water with the limited access you have. Removing the hood latch gives you more room, but I want to find a spare plug one of these days to block off the motor side when I'm not using them.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
As stated above you can remove the black plastic cover over the radiator support held in place with push pins to gain access to the plug for the shutter motor, the connector sits at the 6 o'clock position below the hood latch. To remove complete shutter assy the front bumper cover does have to be removed.

I just release the lock tab on the connector and pull it down enough to free it from the terminal pins but not fully remove it from the motor housing completely, so it is still protected from outside elements but not making any electrical connection. I have also left it just hanging loose for over a year with no detrimental effect from corrosion or water.

I just plugged it back in a week ago to see just how much difference it made to engine temps since its much cooler temps here now and when I saw engine temps going above 200 degrees in city driving, I plugged it back in so now never see temps above 190 degrees unless in stopped traffic for over 4/5 minutes until cooling fans kick on.. No issue with corrosion/function after being unplugged for 1 year+

I will give up a few mpg for lower engine temps.

BD

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As stated above you can remove the black plastic cover over the radiator support held in place with push pins to gain access to the plug for the shutter motor, the connector sits at the 6 o'clock position below the hood latch. To remove complete shutter assy the front bumper cover does have to be removed.

I just release the lock tab on the connector and pull it down enough to free it from the terminal pins but not fully remove it from the motor housing completely, so it is still protected from outside elements but not making any electrical connection. I have also left it just hanging loose for over a year with no detrimental effect from corrosion or water.

I just plugged it back in a week ago to see just how much difference it made to engine temps since its much cooler temps here now and when I saw engine temps going above 200 degrees in city driving, I plugged it back in so now never see temps above 190 degrees unless in stopped traffic for over 4/5 minutes until cooling fans kick on.. No issue with corrosion/function after being unplugged for 1 year+

I will give up a few mpg for lower engine temps.

BD
That's a good idea. I considered it but worried about vibration causing it to plug back in or fall out but I suppose that's pretty unlikely.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That's a good idea. I considered it but worried about vibration causing it to plug back in or fall out but I suppose that's pretty unlikely.
This is the first time I have left it like that so time will tell if it stays put or not, I know it will not be able plug itself back in since it takes a fair bit of pressure to get the lock tab to latch, it may fall out on its own though. I have a tie wrap about an inch from the connector holding the wire harness to the main loom behind the bumper, so it applies some resistance to the connector from falling off the motor.

I will check it in a few weeks to see if it is still in place on motor.

BD
Sponsored