Sponsored

Got the bbq tick.

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So today I started the car and forgot I hadn't put the floor mats back in after washing. Ran inside to grab them and while putting them in started hearing the bbq tick. 506 miles. No oil change yet.

I know Fords official stance is "normal" but do you think I should take it in and have it documented anyway? Any other Bullitts out there have the tick? What did your dealer say?
Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had the tick really early on. I’m at about 1300 miles now and it doesn’t do it anymore.

Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about.

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
I would say get it documented, they dont have to do much work, maybe just a note to say you have it and they have been made aware. IF and a big if, you have any issues then they have been made aware.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
They all do it at some point. Mine was quiet until 2200 miles. Don’t sweat it...seriously.

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
This all brings a new meaning to a tick over... sorry I'll see myself out

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Add a bottle of ceratec to the oil. It worked for me , then I changed the oil to 5w30 and it was still not ticking, then I changed it again to 0w30 and the tick came back so I added another bottle of ceratec to the new oil and it went away again. I would have probably lemon lawed the car if ceratec didnt work since my tick was one of the loudest ones ive heard.

OP
OP
RozzGT

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Add a bottle of ceratec to the oil. It worked for me , then I changed the oil to 5w30 and it was still not ticking, then I changed it again to 0w30 and the tick came back so I added another bottle of ceratec to the new oil and it went away again. I would have probably lemon lawed the car if ceratec didnt work since my tick was one of the loudest ones ive heard.
I will try that, mine isn't any louder than others I've head. I was planning on doing my first oil change soon. I will try 5w30. Thanks.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I will try that, mine isn't any louder than others I've head. I was planning on doing my first oil change soon. I will try 5w30. Thanks.
The 5w30 isnt why it stopped ticking, it was the ceratec. Its supposed to last like 20k miles but for some reason when I went 0W30 amsoil the tick came back. Went away immediately after adding ceratec again.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Don’t worry for a second about the tick. Ford says it’s fine. People have torn down engines and measured everything. No failures directly linked to tick. The tick has been a coyote trait since 2011. The plastic oil pan made it much more noticable in 18.

In my humble opinion tight motors have the tick. I would personally worry more if my car didn’t have the tick. Probably some type of cavitation. Ceratec most likely modifies the oils cavitation potential. But who the hell knows.

Sponsored

Shlumbug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Detek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I changed the oil to 5w30 Amsoil signature series at 2600 miles. No tick at that point. I’m at 5k miles and still no tick.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Pretty sure that is the high pressure injection pump that is ran off a cam lobe.

Don’t think there is anything to worry about either although cold it an annoying sound.
2K rattle is more often associated with piston slap and engine failure.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
2K rattle is more often associated with piston slap and engine failure.
That was the original assessment but if it was a true design flaw then every car would have scoring problems.

I have more faith that ford wouldn’t have let a true design flaw go into production. Their -20 to 225 for a 1000 hours test would have caught piston slap problems off the bat.

The 2017 doesn’t have it at all and the 2018 rattles like crazy. I would guess it’s the pump.
Sponsored