Got MPSS.....and WOW

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
Wishing I would have done this a long time ago. Took me 8k miles to burn through the rear stock PP tires and I finally upgraded to MPSS today. Not only are they quieter and softer than the Pirellis, but the handling is night and day difference. Yes, I'm starting this thread to simply express my excitement to getting these tires.

Wow
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Nice!

My MPSS have been pretty good also. Even with the extra power.

OP
OP
JM7225

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
Imagine what an actually sticky tire feels like :)
Not sure I can lol, but for a daily driver these things are going to add a lot to the fun factor of every drive. I'm finishing work and then going for a drive today with LOTS of corners.
:cheers:

Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
On my 2015 GT PP, the MPSS were sticky enough in OEM sized 275/40ZR19, that when I installed my Roushcharger there was still enough grip that I didn't need a wider tire to maintain grip.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport and newer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are great tires. I've installed them on my last 4-vehicles and recommend them to anyone wanting better grip and handling on their daily driver sports car.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
tires are the biggest performance upgrade you can do on a car

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I had MPSS on my A45 AMG and definitely wow for a street tyre. They offer many of the perks of UHP summer tyres without the negative trade offs of increased wear and noise. Sidewall stiffness and steering response is superb.

I agree with [MENTION=29935]GT350Brakes.com[/MENTION] that they are OK for light track use but don't confuse "light" with occasional. If you are an experience track day goer and like to drive near the limits you will chunk the supersports up very quickly. Not that they can't handle it but you can kiss good bye to the nice quiet tread design characteristics once you've done that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I agree with @GT350Brakes.com that they are OK for light track use but don't confuse "light" with occasional. If you are an experience track day goer and like to drive near the limits you will chunk the supersports up very quickly. Not that they can't handle it but you can kiss good bye to the nice quiet tread design characteristics once you've done that.
My take here is that these tires need a fair amount of street mileage under gradually increasing "enthusiasm" in order to get the best life out of the hardest use.

I've got 10 track days (intermediate-level driver) on my 285/35-18's (which are mounted on 11's - this might also have something to do with it). But I put over a thousand street miles on them before they ever hit the track.

They're a couple events or so past their prime, but they still datalog over 1.2 g's laterally and still pick up lots of pebbles and what-not when they're that hot, so at track days I avoid parking on dirt or gravel.

picture.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
+1 to pebbles. Mine pick up pebbles and rocks like crazy even when cold.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=6743]Norm Peterson[/MENTION] those are wearing very well and look like they have lots of life left. Mine looked like that after one track day and admittedly I didn't break them in as much as you did on the street. It was the front tyres on an AWD car so that may have also had something to do with it. My only complaint was the tread degradation that resulted in road noise. It improved a little with wear but never really went away. I really have no other complaints, for a street tyre they were superb and very impressive on track.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I don't mind the stock pirellis, but I can only imagine what stickier tires will do.
The problem with the Pirellis is that they like to be hot and they wear very quickly. Also, they're not very communicative. You don't get tire squeal, the car just starts to slide.

On a 95 degree day, the Pirellis are pretty good really. On a 70 degree day, not so much. Hard to keep heat in them on a street driven car.

That said, I just switched to MPSS 285/35ZR19's that I just got on closeout and they're awesome so far!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
The problem with the Pirellis is that they like to be hot and they wear very quickly. Also, they're not very communicative. You don't get tire squeal, the car just starts to slide.

On a 95 degree day, the Pirellis are pretty good really. On a 70 degree day, not so much. Hard to keep heat in them on a street driven car.

That said, I just switched to MPSS 285/35ZR19's that I just got on closeout and they're awesome so far!
I agree with the tire squealing thing. I have already found myself wishing they would talk some and I've never been on the track in my car.
Sponsored