CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Got a call from the service rep today. He stated they ordered a new short block for my barbeque tick. Said they need to put the stock tune on. I have a tank of e85/GT350 manifold/ LU47 injectors/JLT CAI. Can't start it with stock tune and the mods. Why would they need the stock tune on it?
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Got a call from the service rep today. He stated they ordered a new short block for my barbeque tick. Said they need to put the stock tune on. I have a tank of e85/GT350 manifold/ LU47 injectors/JLT CAI. Can't start it with stock tune and the mods. Why would they need the stock tune on it?

Really? It’s that or fix it yourself. They are doing you a favour.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
You won't be able to run the stock tune with E85 in the tank. The rest you could get away with, although it may run a little funny with the larger injectors.

You're going to have to tell them you have E85 in the tank and the stock tune wont work. There's really no reason for them to need to flash it to stock though. See what they say and if they insist then you will need to drain the fuel tank and put 93 in. Better to pay the labor to do that than to pay for the shortblock lol.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
All in all I'm happy I didn't get the "that's normal" response. I knew the e85 was a no go. Gonna talk to the service man today and see what we can work out. Maybe I can drive the e85 out and put in 93. Do that and put the factory air box on might work with the factory tune. The block is already screwed up so what the hell. It all started with a tick after an oil change. :(

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
"t all started with a tick after an oil change. :("
Hmmmmm

Sponsored

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My advise to new Mustang owners is if you do anything only tune it. That way if you win the tick tick lottery going back to stock will be a lot less painless. I will know more when I go get a loaner today.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
My advise to new Mustang owners is if you do anything only tune it. That way if you win the tick tick lottery going back to stock will be a lot less painless. I will know more when I go get a loaner today.
All I have is an H-pipe. I don't have a tune. If I can't mod the car without fear of reprisal due to a defect from the factory, then that really bends my stick. Just curbs my enthusiasm, you know? There aren't any Ford Power Packs out for the car so I don't have an option right now for making more power that's going to preserve my warranty. That coupled with potential issues, that may or may not be disproportionately represented here, is a concerning compounding factor for me. But I don't want to get "bent out of shape" until I know more. However, I can understand if you've lost confidence in the platform. I know I would.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Service advisor reports metal shavings in the oil pan. Short block ordered. Driving a loaner.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Good luck. I've got the 2kRPM tick going on, and the only mod was a Bama 93 tune. So I switched back to the stock tune to drive it around for a week or so before dropping it off next Monday.

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
Ford can't see the tune history on the car? I been been wanting to have a e85 tune flashed, but i have been reading about the 18 problems.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Ford can't see the tune history on the car? I been been wanting to have a e85 tune flashed, but i have been reading about the 18 problems.
The tune has to stay on. I have a GT350 IM and LU47 injectors and a tank of e85.

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I was asking in general. Not in your case.
With the issues I'm reading about on the 18's if I owned one I would hold off on a tune.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Got a text from the Ford Technician this morning. A couple of the lobes look like the rollers on the followers stop rolling at times. He said it created excessive wear on the lobes. So now in addition to a short block I'm getting new cams and followers. I have a lot of faith in the technician. I'm glad he's taking good care of my car. So I wait.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Got a text from the Ford Technician this morning. A couple of the lobes look like the rollers on the followers stop rolling at times. He said it created excessive wear on the lobes. So now in addition to a short block I'm getting new cams and followers. I have a lot of faith in the technician. I'm glad he's taking good care of my car. So I wait.
At this rate they should have just ordered a new engine.
Sponsored