Getting a new hood

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No. The tsb clearly states a new hood is required. They prep it and paint it. If they "fixed" his old hood, he got screwed.

I know, because mine has ready been done.
Sounds like this process is better than anything that comes from the factory. Maybe it was for the best.
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Easier, not cheaper. Why pay for something you’re going to get for free under warranty? Unless you want to upgrade. :)
I meant it assuming ford would reimburse the shop rather than just sending them a hood. It would save ford the cost of an aluminum hood which I assume is more expensive to manufacture than an aftermarket fiberglass one and guarantees the customer won’t have corrosion issues on the hood again either.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I meant it assuming ford would reimburse the shop rather than just sending them a hood. It would save ford the cost of an aluminum hood which I assume is more expensive to manufacture than an aftermarket fiberglass one and guarantees the customer won’t have corrosion issues on the hood again either.
Long shot, but someone needing a warranty hood could call all the local dealers and see if any are about to replace a hood outside warranty (corrosion, accident, etc.). Bribe them a little to use the warranty replacement hood for that job and apply their cost for a hood toward an aftermarket hood.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't even close to a new issue. The S550 hoods are all aluminum, as we're the S197s. My 2006 Mustang hood bubbled. So far, my 2018 is OK.
When will they learn how to paint aluminum? This is rediculous.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
A new hood is the answer, and they are mostly aluminum. Run a magnet over it And you will find steel near the latch assembly mount and hinges...an yeah it’s contamination from manufacturing, I got a new hood for my 15 9 days before bumper to bumper expired!

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Just picked my car up with it's "brand new no cost to me hood" at 86k miles & 4.5 years old.

The body shop manager was not aware until now that Ford was doing the hood replacement on Mustangs. They have however done quite a few on 2016-2017 Explorers.

Bonus for me is I had bought the $424.11 MSRP hood & bumper cover stripe set (back when I was not aware of the warranty and thinking I was going to replace the hood myself) and I was reimbursed for it. I paid $306.37 delivered and they gave me a check back for $332.50 ... a $26.13 profit !!

Plus, they sent it out to have the stripes put on and since the car was low on fuel (maybe 25 mi to E) they put a few gallons of free gas in it too.

Paint job is top notch & paint match is dead on. Stripe installation looks as good as the original too. Could not be happier with the result.

Doug

Mustang50Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It’s a shame these things happen. Especially from an American manufacture. The “luxury” brands sure exude a bit more price but It also comes with more quality.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
My car is currently getting my hood and passenger side fender replaced for the corrosion issue. 2016 GT with only 16k miles. It was a struggle just to get the hood replaced nevermind both but it was approved. My fear is that it's only a matter of time until the driver's side fender starts to bubble too. Supposed to get it back Monday and I'm really hoping they were able to get the paint to match all around.:please:

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Dropped my car off Monday morning. They said it should be about 3-4 days. They're also replacing the hood vents, as mine are cracking. Drove by today and see this. Why so much disassemble for hood? Is it to blend paint into the fenders?
20200930_125408.jpg

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I've been noticing a small bubble on the leading site of my hood. I paid attention to it and watched for about 6 months. Finally took it to my local dealer and asked about it. They took pictures and sent them to Ford. This is a 2016 GT premium. About 3 weeks later I get a call from the dealer and Ford is replacing the hood under the 5 year corrosion warranty.
20200831_144606.jpg
My 2015 had the same problem. Looks to be a common issue. Thankfully you got yours covered under warranty!
Sponsored