Getting a new hood

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I was told they will get the hood, send it to a local body shop to be painted, They will then call me to get it installed.
Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
That seems to be pretty common, i had this same issue on my old 12' GT. I have heard some people have gotten new hoods but then some had issues. I just decided not to worry about it on mine lol
Not just mustangs. Ford has this problem with explorers and had it with crown Vics. Ford just flat out has paint problems all the way around now that I think about it

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not just mustangs. Ford has this problem with explorers and had it with crown Vics. Ford just flat out has paint problems all the way around now that I think about it
Not just Ford that has problems with paint. A lot of companies have paint issues. Look at GM in the late 80's and 90's. That's when they started with water based paint. It seems that these companies are spraying it on a bit thin nowdays, like they're trying to save weight or something. I had a 2012 Honda Civic SI that had issues with paint. It's all environmentally driven and when a body shop does the repaints, "USUALLY" its way better.

Last edited:

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
It it really the paint, or is the underlying metal the problem? These hoods are aluminum, aren't they? They're something funky, as my magnetic light won't stick...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It it really the paint, or is the underlying metal the problem? These hoods are aluminum, aren't they? They're something funky, as my magnetic light won't stick...
It’s not the paint, it’s the prep process. Been a Ford issue for many years. It it beyond belief that they haven’t found a way to resolve this issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The top of the hood is aluminum and the bottom is steel, at least that's what I've heard.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
The top of the hood is aluminum and the bottom is steel, at least that's what I've heard.
Isn't that like one of the things you're never supposed to do, have dissimilar metals touching each other? Causes some kind of reaction, can't think of the name, big word, lots of syllables?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
So does ford give the dealer a credit to buy the hood and paint it or do they just send them the hood. I haven’t looked at mine but I know my old 14 had it so more than likely it’s there on this one and I know that people have gotten it again so I don’t even want to go through the process. The only way I would go through it is if ford gave the dealer a credit for the hood and they used that to order me an aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber hood even if I had to pay the difference.
I know the dealership in my area use Cervinis to paint it or you can use any shop you want. But then you have to get the Reimbursement.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I know the dealership in my area use Cervinis to paint it or you can use any shop you want. But then you have to get the Reimbursement.
I might have to talk to my dealer on the next trip and see what their policy is.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hoods corrode because of dissimilar metals but it’s due to iron particles getting onto the aluminum before the painting process. This then causes the hoods to corrode but I believe they’re a full aluminum construction if I’m not mistaken. Because you’re getting the hood from ford again that’s why issues can occur again and why I wouldn’t let them put on another factory hood unless they guaranteed that the prep work was excellent by the paint shop.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The hoods corrode because of dissimilar metals but it’s due to iron particles getting onto the aluminum before the painting process. This then causes the hoods to corrode but I believe they’re a full aluminum construction if I’m not mistaken. Because you’re getting the hood from ford again that’s why issues can occur again and why I wouldn’t let them put on another factory hood unless they guaranteed that the prep work was excellent by the paint shop.
My friend chose to have it fixed by a very reputable body shop and ford reimbursed. Basically the area on top needs to be repair and faded or fully repainted the bottom of the hood requires the sealant/corking of the bottom aluminum to top aluminum of the hood to be shaved off and resealed/corked and for a full bottom repaint of the hood.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So are they having this same issue with F150s and the new Super Duty trucks? Maybe not an issue because they are aluminum so there is no ferrous metal contamination in the factory.

Man this was a known issue when I bought my 12. Good to know Ford is consistent with their paint prep issues.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My friend chose to have it fixed by a very reputable body shop and ford reimbursed. Basically the area on top needs to be repair and faded or fully repainted the bottom of the hood requires the sealant/corking of the bottom aluminum to top aluminum of the hood to be shaved off and resealed/corked and for a full bottom repaint of the hood.
Seems much easier to go to a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood in that case.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are they having this same issue with F150s and the new Super Duty trucks? Maybe not an issue because they are aluminum so there is no ferrous metal contamination in the factory.

Man this was a known issue when I bought my 12. Good to know Ford is consistent with their paint prep issues.
What I’ve seen so far is mustang, f150, and Explorer. Of course I haven’t actually gone out looking for issues for other models but I would assume if those 3 have it then any ford with aluminum panels will.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
No. The tsb clearly states a new hood is required. They prep it and paint it. If they "fixed" his old hood, he got screwed.

I know, because mine has ready been done.
Sponsored