Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I've changed jobs, and now I'm driving in horrible stop-n-go traffic every day. This is causing me quite a bit a foot pain, as I have an issue in my left foot. So I'm desperate to find a way to lighten the clutch pedal on my car. I'm trying to avoid trading in my car on a new one, as I really like it.

I test-drove a 2018 GT PP w/MT82-4, and with the twin-disc clutch, the pedal is definitely lighter.

Here's the options I'm wondering about.

1. Install OEM Ford 2018 clutch & fly-wheel, but would it fit in my 2016 MT82 transmission?

2. Install an after-market twin-disc clutch & fly-wheel, but I can't find one that specifically states it makes the pedal lighter. I did find this clutch; https://www.americanmuscle.com/ramclutch-streetforce-8bolt-23spline-1112gt.html And in the comments there is someone that mentions "This Ram Dual Clutch feels lighter than stock. It takes a little getting used to since the engagement point is different from stock. It is definately ligher than the stock unit, revs quicker...." But I'm confused, as I can't tell if that person means that the pedal feels lighter, or that the fly-wheel feels lighter and causes the engine to rev easier, or both.

3. Some sort of hydraulic answer? A different master or slave cylinder or something?

4. An hydraulically adjustable throw-out bearing?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
McLeod twin disc clutches have a lighter feel

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
McLeod twin disc clutches have a lighter feel
Can you please share your experience? How much lighter than the stock clutch? I'm watching a video on it right now, it says that there's better engagement (smoother), and a lighter pedal. Please share as much info as you can.

Thanks.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
A10 with active exhaust

Unless you can shift your schedule to avoid rush hour.
It's getting to the point where I might get an EB with the A10. But I love Big Yellow, and I don't want to trade her in, especially since it would lose me too much money.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
You could order a stiffer clutch spring from McMaster for cheap (although you may have to order a bag of five, lol).

The original clutch spring thread is buried in the forum somewhere. IIRC, the stock spring was 60#, and the ideal spring was settled in to be 35#, and that is what I think Steeda sells.

So maybe you could try a 100# spring?

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
You could order a stiffer clutch spring from McMaster for cheap (although you may have to order a bag of five, lol).

The original clutch spring thread is buried in the forum somewhere. IIRC, the stock spring was 60#, and the ideal spring was settled in to be 35#, and that is what I think Steeda sells.

Can you provide me more info than "McMaster" please? I've tried Steeda's 35 lb spring, and had to put the OEM spring back in. I had no idea anyone was making a heavier spring for these cars.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

OEM is 60# ?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-35-lb-in-clutch-spring-assist-1517-gt-ecoboost-v6.html
"More Precise Clutch Pedal Feel and Control. The Steeda 35 lb./in. Clutch Assist Spring replaces the 185 lb./in. spring that comes in your Mustang

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been through several heady duty clutches for my blown Mustang. The last one I installed was a McLeod RST twin with McLeod's lightened steel flywheel. The pedal feels substantially lighter than OEM or the other aftermarket heavy duty set ups. Lighter pedal feel is a characteristic of a twin disc. Also smoother, more linear engagement or should I say...very forgiving on starts from a dead stop. The down sides to a twin is cost and they tend to make some noise if you lug the engine. In other words they make some noise if you try to travel at minimal rpm's.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
OEM is 60# ?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-35-lb-in-clutch-spring-assist-1517-gt-ecoboost-v6.html
"More Precise Clutch Pedal Feel and Control. The Steeda 35 lb./in. Clutch Assist Spring replaces the 185 lb./in. spring that comes in your Mustang
Can you provide me more info than "McMaster" please? I've tried Steeda's 35 lb spring, and had to put the OEM spring back in. I had no idea anyone was making a heavier spring for these cars.
@NoVaGT the clutch spring is actually a clutch assist spring, which means it assists you in pressing down on the clutch. So it works counter-intuitively, i.e., the stronger the spring, the more the assist. If the OEM spring rate is 185#/in, then you may want to source a spring that is say double that, so maybe 350#/in. Two problems are 1) experimenting with different springs adds up financially, and 2) there is a good chance of breaking the plastic spring perch during removal/installation of springs. You may need to order the Steeda spring/perch assembly, since the perch is metal, and then order a stiffer spring. You may need two sets on needle-nose vice grips to install the stiff spring.

You can try calling Century Spring 800.237.5225 with the specs: 1.25" ID, 2.25" free length, and then see what high rates they offer.

See this old, long thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...dage-no-pedal-lag-installed-and-tested.39891/

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for all the info.

My thought process is that to install a new twin-disc clutch is around $2K, and my car needs tires too. Maybe I wait until September and just pick up a 2018 on a good deal.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OEM twin disc on the 2018 is probably lighter peddle than an aftermarket twin disc. Exedy publishes clamp load, but I didn't see numbers for Ram or McLeod.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OEM twin disc on the 2018 is probably lighter peddle than an aftermarket twin disc. Exedy publishes clamp load, but I didn't see numbers for Ram or McLeod.
I'm thinking since the McLeod RST twin disc is rated for 800HP, in my application it's over-kill and the clutch would be heavier than necessary, or that it could be lighter still if RST made a twin-disc clutch for stock power levels. Whereas if I got the OEM clutch kit and fly-wheel from a 2018-19 car, it would be even lighter than the RST.

What I don't know is if the 2018-19 OEM clutch-kit and fly-wheel can work in my 2016 MT82.

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
The best way to tackle this (if it existed) would be to install a clutch master with a smaller piston/cylinder. I've researched it a bit and it appears Ford has put the same (diameter) master in the Mustangs since 2011. I think the GT500 had a different one but it was larger diam. I think the cylinder diameter is 19mm but I don't even remember where I got that number.

These newer master's shape/design is pretty unique, so you can't just swap it out for a universal one or one that Ford has used for decades. So it would be a case of buying a bunch of masters with the same physical appearance but with different part numbers and then taking them apart to get the cyl diam.

Next choice down would be a longer clutch pedal. Not sure how much room there is to do that. You could move the clutch master attachment point on the pedal closer to the pedal's pivot point, but to keep the master's rod straight, you'd have to move the clutch pedal attachment point down in the car. Major fabrication.

The heaviness of the pedal drives me nuts too and the thing is, the engagement area is like 10% of the total travel. I don't know why Ford put such a big diam clutch master in these things.

You could try hard(er) soled shoes.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've driven millions of manny tranny miles and even drive a Ford L9000 truck with a big Cat diesel periodically to transport forklifts. I just don't see the stock pedal being heavy on a Mustang. I just today stepped on my clutch pedal in my Ram diesel using my right leg and it did indeed feel very heavy. My left leg has been conditioned over the years.
Sponsored