APEX - Mustang Wheel Design Survey

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
49786502301_a88773ca40_b.jpg

APEX wants to hear from you and ensure we are providing the designs you want the most for the Mustang community, and thus we’re asking for your feedback on which direction we should go. APEX has always put the community first and takes your guidance and opinions into everything we offer. Whether you love our current designs or want to see something else, we want to know! Have a finish that you love, but we don’t offer it yet? We want to know! We are excited to continue our relationship with this community and ensure you are proud of the fitment and style wheels being offered.

So when you grab your next cup of coffee, or during your late-night forum browsing, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us? We appreciate your feedback and look forward to contributing to this community further.

LEARN MORE ABOUT APEX
For those whom we have not yet had the pleasure of working with, since 2007, our focus at APEX has been to produce high-performance wheels with extreme durability and unprecedented value for the performance driving community. Combining proven Motorsport design features, vehicle specific optimizations, and advanced flow-forming and forging technology, we've created wheels that have taken performance driving enthusiasts by storm. As a grassroots Motorsport oriented company, composed of a diverse group of auto enthusiasts, we understand that enthusiasts from all corners of the car community seek quality products at an affordable price point and that these should not be mutually exclusive.

- Team APEX
Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So did anything ever come from this? Just curious if you guys are planning on producing a new style for mustangs? If so, any idea of time frame? Thinking about a set of either SM-10's or EC-7's one they re back in stock, but if you guys will eventually produce a new style for mustangs, I may have to wait and see what is coming. If you produce option F, I would have to buy another set of wheels!

Thanks,

Doug

OP
OP
Apex Wheels

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So did anything ever come from this? Just curious if you guys are planning on producing a new style for mustangs? If so, any idea of time frame? Thinking about a set of either SM-10's or EC-7's one they re back in stock, but if you guys will eventually produce a new style for mustangs, I may have to wait and see what is coming. If you produce option F, I would have to buy another set of wheels!

Thanks,

Doug
Hey Doug, we were able to collect some valuable feedback from this survey. With that said, there are some new Forged fitments and designs in the works currently that hopefully will be available towards the end of summer. There are no new flow formed designs planned at the moment.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Would love to see you produce the EC-7 (FF or R) with the improvements and fitments that the SM-10 received. Running spacers is just a band-aid and the other issues I’ve had with my wheels has me looking hard at Forgelines.

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Didnt see this back in March, but I did hit submit on the poll just in case.... The 5 spoke E design is real nice. A nice 5 or 7 spoke design would be killer!

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Running spacers is just a band-aid
????
Spacers allow you to run the same offset front and rear so you can rotate and therefore make your tires last longer. This is a plus in my book

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Not sure why more wheel MFG’s don’t extend the spoke all the way to the wheel edge and make the hub center smaller. It creates the appearance that the wheel is bigger than it is, which most prefer, but don’t want ride quality to suffer due to tire size. I get positive comments on my wheels, and feel it’s because I chose them with this reasoning.

Never owned a Mustang until 3 weeks ago, and after reading the spacer comments left me thinking. My DD Lexus IS staggered, and sucks not be able to rotate as a partial DD. Mustang will be mostly track, and figured it doesn’t matter, but new to the track, and realizing how much tire I’m going to go through (road course) I’ve been looking at square setups. Spacers seem to be a non-issue. In the 4x4 world, we didn’t use them lol, but it seems like minimal spacers on the Mustang are approved.

Here’s the wheels on our Daily’s - then last pic is what I really want for the Mustang (I have the 2020 PP1 19’s currently)

423BA99B-0A7D-4E47-89A6-D147F4C36834.jpeg
B764A95F-0B4E-4FB2-AE23-18035DCAB8AB.jpeg
638777ED-6709-4BB6-B1E9-37B1823AC286.jpeg

1618904A-2125-40F1-92F8-703215AA1FDB.jpeg

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I work in OE engineering. We adhere by best practices. For a race car spacers are fine. Most people here aren’t running dedicated race cars though. I’ll take a Forgeline wheel (which is what the factory cars now run) with the proper offset vs a one size fits all solution any day of the week.
The point was that Apex manufactured the SM-10 in the proper size and offset but didn’t do so with the EC-7. We’re supposed to run spacers. Sorry, not going to do that on a street car. Anyone interested in this subject should speak with Terry from Vorshlag.

OP
OP
Apex Wheels

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure why more wheel MFG’s don’t extend the spoke all the way to the wheel edge and make the hub center smaller. It creates the appearance that the wheel is bigger than it is, which most prefer, but don’t want ride quality to suffer due to tire size. I get positive comments on my wheels, and feel it’s because I chose them with this reasoning.

Never owned a Mustang until 3 weeks ago, and after reading the spacer comments left me thinking. My DD Lexus IS staggered, and sucks not be able to rotate as a partial DD. Mustang will be mostly track, and figured it doesn’t matter, but new to the track, and realizing how much tire I’m going to go through (road course) I’ve been looking at square setups. Spacers seem to be a non-issue. In the 4x4 world, we didn’t use them lol, but it seems like minimal spacers on the Mustang are approved.
Thank you for the feedback, it's helpful! Good looking group of cars you have. And you are correct, there are zero safety issues from running spacers on Mustangs, especially for track use.

I work in OE engineering. We adhere by best practices. For a race car spacers are fine. Most people here aren’t running dedicated race cars though. I’ll take a Forgeline wheel (which is what the factory cars now run) with the proper offset vs a one size fits all solution any day of the week.
The point was that Apex manufactured the SM-10 in the proper size and offset but didn’t do so with the EC-7. We’re supposed to run spacers. Sorry, not going to do that on a street car. Anyone interested in this subject should speak with Terry from Vorshlag.
I don't really agree with this comment. Can you explain why spacers are fine for race cars but not street cars? Not once in almost 4 years have I been asked for a direct fit 18x11" front wheel on the S197 and S550, because all of those people understand the purpose of running wheels/tires that large and WANT to rotate.

I'd hardly call our EC-7s one size fits all, and not sure it's applicable to compare Forgeline wheels to our wheels. But we'll take that compliment for thousands less :)

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I don't work in OE engineering, but I can tell you what you said is not correct. Spacers when correctly utilized are completely fine. The major factor is the correct spacers and the correct utilization. Correctly sized hub centric slip on spacers, when torqued down correctly AND ensuring there is enough stud thread engagement to achieve this, essentially create a low offset wheel with no downsides, as there are no additional failure points.

Now if you don't have hub centric spacers, don't have enough stud thread and don't torque it down correctly.....well that's not really the spacers fault is it.

Bolt on spacers are a different story and I wouldn't use them anywhere personally.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On a street car, are spacers a part an OE manufacturer would avoid? Yeah of course. Its an extra part in the supply chain, something a tech can forget and leave off, and they can introduce a noise when dirty (aluminim on aluminum mating surfaces). An OE would try to minimize cost, possible mistakes, and pointless warranty work, and they don’t care at all about the end users tire costs.

But if you’re “not going to use spacers on a street car” I’d love to hear any good reason why. The reasons an OE manufacturer would avoid them on a street car doen’t really seem relevent for an enthusiast end user.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I should have clarified, the non-hubcentric spacers (with stock wheel studs) or the bolt on style are what I’m referring to. The Kohr/Wenstrom Machine spacers would be my choice.
However, I would prefer a wheel that was designed for the vehicle with the correct dimensions as to not need any spacers at all. We do it at Roush, do it at Ford. I’m not concerned with a square set up.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I should have clarified, the non-hubcentric spacers (with stock wheel studs) or the bolt on style are what I’m referring to. The Kohr/Wenstrom Machine spacers would be my choice.
However, I would prefer a wheel that was designed for the vehicle with the correct dimensions as to not need any spacers at all. We do it at Roush, do it at Ford. I’m not concerned with a square set up.
This whole spacer discussion makes no sense. You're arguing points against using spacers based on street car requirements and goals to a wheel company that caters to the racing and track car crowd. Your points are valid but you're preaching to the wrong crowd.

Your last comment said you aren't concerned with a square set-up because it's a street car.......the majority of Apex customers are track rats and are concerned about a square set-up. You're in the wrong thread, my friend.

PS - Forgelines for a street car??? Who buys some of the best and most expensive racing wheels for something to go to cars and coffee with? Deep pockets I assume - must be nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Apex Wheels

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Gotcha, thank you for your input and I also agree the bolt on spacers or anything that isn't hub centric is not ideal to use for safety reasons. We also manufacture our own slip on spacer that's built to the exact same specs as the wheel to provide a perfect fit. Hub bore, lug bore, and wheel (spacer) mounting surfaces all share identical specs.
Sponsored