General Top Down Question

BLM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible/ 69 Chevelle SS
Just a general question. When you drive your car somewhere with the top down, providing the destination is not a security risk, do you leave the top down once you arrive? Does it depend on how long your car will be parked there? Do you put it back up no matter what and then put it back down once you get back in the car. Are birds dropping something on your interior a concern? Does it depend upon the weather?
Just wondering how some of you decide.
Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
I always put the top up. That's just me. I can be a little obsessive about things.

Also, black interior on sunny summer days is a little uncomfortable to get back into if it's been sitting there in the sun. So, top up and sun shades in the windshield for me.

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I have the urge to leave it down if I am running into the grocery store quickly, but people suck these days so I put it up.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I frequently leave the top down, if the weather is right for it. During the height of summer an open convertible doesn't get nearly as suffocatingly hot inside.

It's obviously a question of judgment. I don't leave anything of value accessible in the cabin. Depends on where I am, as well. And a "secure parking facility" is nothing of the kind. Honestly, I'm more likely to leave the car open in a surface lot than in a parking garage; the single theft I've had since I bought a vert in 2012 was in a key-card access parking garage in an expensive high-rise condo.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
My wife always puts her top up on the '17 - unless she's just getting gas or running into the convenience store to grab a drink etc. It's not so much "people" as it is 'environmental' factors. Pollen, bird shit, dirt, dust and all that.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
My wife always puts her top up on the '17 - unless she's just getting gas or running into the convenience store to grab a drink etc. It's not so much "people" as it is 'environmental' factors. Pollen, bird shit, dirt, dust and all that.
There is that. I almost always drive with the top down, though, when it's feasible and as a result my interior has to be cleaned pretty frequently whether I park with the top up or not.

Bird shit, though? Yeah, definitely a thing. Don't park top-down under trees, or if you see a goddamn crow anywhere. šŸ˜

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
Just a general question. When you drive your car somewhere with the top down, providing the destination is not a security risk, do you leave the top down once you arrive? Does it depend on how long your car will be parked there? Do you put it back up no matter what and then put it back down once you get back in the car. Are birds dropping something on your interior a concern? Does it depend upon the weather?
Just wondering how some of you decide.
I prefer to leave my top down but the logic I follow on when and where I leave it down is as follows:

• Is my car in plain view?
    • If not, I'm putting the top up.
  • Am I under a tree?
    • If I am, the top Is going up.
  • Can the people who frequent and live around this area afford this car?
    • If a convertible is a novel concept and/or something that's unobtainable I'm 100% putting the top up when I park...that's if I even have the top down in that area.
So in summation, if I'm parking on the street/uncovered parking lot and not under a tree in an area where the median income makes a $40k Mustang attainable...I will leave the top down.

If we all have similar financial capability then there is less chance others will want anything in my car because they most likely have the same thing or better. They'll see my convertible Mustang and think "wow I need to take my Porsche Boxster out the garage".

Generally I take the Girls Gone Wild approach with my car...anytime you see me, my top's down.

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Our Jeep doesn't have a top to put up, or doors for that matter. šŸ˜„

Reactions: DRB

Millarduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT; 2016 Jeep GC Limited; 2014 Honda Accord Touring; former 1966 Mustang Coupe- Sprint Edition
Out of site, like a restaurant or store the top goes up. Running into a gas station c-store top or ice cream stand, top is down, but windows are up and doors locked. I'll never park it under a tree with top up or down. I believe in the adage that if someone really wants to steal your car, they will.

Sponsored

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
OP assumes destination is not a security risk. On bright days, with a black interior, I will typically put the top up to keep the seats and steering wheel cool, if its going to be longer than a few minutes. Later in the day, when the sun is lower -- if security is not factored in -- I will leave the top down. I see open Jeeps and motorcycles around with no issues. In the dark, I almost always put the top up, 'cause weird things can happen in the dark!

I've had convertible Mustangs since 1991 and only once have I returned to my car with the top down to find a bird has pooped on my seat.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If Iā€™m just running in somewhere Iā€™ll leave it down. Also
more likely to leave it down if I am somewhere well away from Toronto. Do lock the doors though. Just this week weā€™re travelling and had to park under trees. More bird poop on car in three days than in the past three years.

J-orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT vert
If I am only going to be a short time, I will leave the top down. Also areas that have more foot traffic are safer because there is a greater chance of witnesses being a deterrent. I do not leave anything valuable in the car and lock my glove box.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Unless it's my driveway for 2 minutes while I grab something, top goes up.

1. Protect the leather
2. Keep the leather from burning me upon return
3. I've seen someone throw a super mega big gulp into someone's convertible
4. I've seen a drunk guy pee into someone's convertible
5. I've seen a flock of geese shit into someone's convertible
Sponsored