Convertible Top Will Not Go Down...

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I unlock the top and press the down button. All the windows go down and the top starts to go down but only lifts up 3-4 inches or so. It goes back in the lock position just fine. I checked the 20A fuses (15 & 17) for each motor. They both checked ok. Tried a search online and found nothing. I have a appointment at the stealership Tuesday July 5th in the morning.
Has anyone experienced this problem yet??
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Someone on another forum had an issue with their top operation and they were getting the latch replaced. I presume there is some sensor built into it. I would suggest that you try holding the button down and simultaneously wiggle the latch handle around a bit. If the top moves more than your stated 3" or so, you've probably got your answer.

OP
OP
392lightning

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
I will give that a try. I assumed the top would not try and go through the sequence if the system thought the top was latched closed.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
392lightning

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
So I inspected the latch and wiggled it around a bit. Still had the same issue with the top not doing down. When the top raises I noticed that the passenger side is raising slightly more than the drivers side. That make me think there is an issue with the drivers side motor. So I removed the rear seat bottom along with the side panels to gain access to the motor. While pushing the down button I used a socket to tap on the motor housing. I repeated this and the top started to work and go down. I cycled the top up and down several times. It looks like it is working normally at this time. The motor has an 8 wire plug connection. So I would assume the motor is a stepper type. If I unplug the connector to the motor the top does not even try to move (FYI). I will order a new motor to have just in case this acts up again. The part number is (FR3B-76533A24 AD). Dealer price is over $500, I see Tasca has em at $337. I hope this helps someone in the future.
Sponsored