Gen3 Coyote Oil Pan on a Gen2 Car?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Has anyone put a gen3 coyote oil pan on a gen2 car? I know there are companies that make kits that do the opposite.

I am rebuilding my engine and purchased a gen3 coyote short block from Ford. It comes with the complete gen3 oiling system (pan, pickup tube/windage tray, and oil pump). I've done this once before but I used all gen2 oiling stuff.

I think the pan should physically fit in the car. My only concern is that my car has an oil level sensor on the side of the pan. The gen3 coyotes do not have oil level sensors and no place for me to install one. I don't really care about the sensor itself but I do care if it would throw a check engine light or oil light if it's not plugged in.

Does anyone have some insight? Maybe someone who has done an aftermarket pan that didn't have the sensor or someone who did a dry sump conversion? My car was super low on oil and the light never came on so maybe if I don't have it nothing will happen?

Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Why not go with the GT500 kit? It's more robust than the composite pan of the Gen 3.

If you have the engine out and are budgeting for a new pan, might as well get the best there is.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Why not go with the GT500 kit? It's more robust than the composite pan of the Gen 3.

If you have the engine out and are budgeting for a new pan, might as well get the best there is.
Don't have the budget lmao. The gt500 pan kit has the oil level sensor.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
MMR says they put one in the side of the pan for the dry sump.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Cross post to summarize thread:
search "oil pan low oil sensor" on forum
or maybe "oil pan low oil sensor mustang" in google
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-pan-low-oil-sensor.107589/

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-6675-m50a1.html
https://accessories.ford.com/products/gen-2-5-0l-coyote-oil-pan-kit
If you notice a jumper wire plug is mentioned.
You can take a DMM/Multimeter/voltmeter and learn how the sensor works yourself to determine how to bypass it instead.
You can find one for $12 or get something decent if you want to be self sufficient rest of life.

search ford performance site and email them question?
They dont like answering questions for people too lazy to just test simple stuff themselves, so try and at least figure it out yourself. They are much more responsive to those that try first.

If you lucky, you might find a way to actuate the sensor and then plug it in and then wrap everything in electrical and foil tape and zip tie it nice and protected out of the way or back onto remaining harness.
Or... if unplugging sensor can be detected by ECU, you might just need to cover and protect the unused plug and zip tie it out of way.
Sponsored