gas mileage after lowering

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
It's nice to see someone actually giving a serious, informed answer instead of laughing at the OP's question.
But why? He is not racing his car at a serious level or making top speed runs in the mile competition where that type of info would be relevant for something like this.

I have never heard of someone that daily drives a car like this asking about mileage impacts because of dropping the car about 1".

This is why it is so funny to a lot of us. No harm, no foul. Gotta have thick skin on the Internetz....
Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
But why? He is not racing his car at a serious level or making top speed runs in the mile competition where that type of info would be relevant for something like this.

I have never heard of someone that daily drives a car like this asking about mileage impacts because of dropping the car about 1".

This is why it is so funny to a lot of us. No harm, no foul. Gotta have thick skin on the Internetz....
How is gas mileage relevant only to high level racing or top speed runs? It was a legit question. You ask, "but why?" I ask, "why take the time to post a response to a question that offers no information and only serves to insult the inquirer"?

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We all know that if there is any increase its so minuscule its not worth mentioning or even starting a thread about it.
This is probably true, but without any objective data that's an unprove-able statement.

Gas mileage is the least of most mustang owners concerns especially with a with a V-8...
Just because we're not driving Priuses doesn't mean we don't care about mileage at all. Also, I believe the thread starter drives an EB, not V8.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
How is gas mileage relevant only to high level racing or top speed runs? It was a legit question. You ask, "but why?" I ask, "why take the time to post a response to a question that offers no information and only serves to insult the inquirer"?
Well..It is a legit question to you and him, great.

I didn't by a V8 equipped car and worry about gas mileage whether its daily driving, drag strip or road course racing. I believe the OP has an EcoBoost which gets much better mileage anyway.

I just find it funny when people buy performance cars and worry about gas mileage. That makes no sense to me, at all.

I can post whatever response I want. Like it said, grow some thick skin. Internet is a tough business.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well..It is a legit question to you and him, great.

I didn't by a V8 equipped car and worry about gas mileage whether its daily driving, drag strip or road course racing. I believe the OP has an EcoBoost which gets much better mileage anyway.

I just find it funny when people buy performance cars and worry about gas mileage. That makes no sense to me, at all.

I can post whatever response I want. Like it said, grow some thick skin. Internet is a tough business.
"It is a legit question to you and him, great." Exactly. So why the insulting responses?

"Internet is a tough business." Um...ok? I'll let you know as soon as I figure out a way to monetize posting on teh internetz forumz. ;) (And yes, I realize you were being tongue-in-cheek.)

"I can post whatever response I want." I never said you couldn't.

"...grow some thick skin." I'm not sure if this response is meant for me, as I'm not the one asking the question. Either way, I have thick enough skin to take it (and I'm sure OP does as well), but that's not the point. I just don't understand why everyone has to jump to condescending laughter on message boards. To each his own. I'm out. Peace.

Sponsored

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
The OP has an EcoBoost as well, not a GT. I have a GT and when Im not flogging the everloving PISS out of it, I want it to get decent MPG and if lowering it helps, then COOL!!!

Matt

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I thought it was a good question, sort of funny but still good. I was of course thinking I had already wanted to lower the car so this would provide me with another good reason. :thumbsup:
I think it was sort of rude for no reason though, unfortunately society is going that way.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
"It is a legit question to you and him, great." Exactly. So why the insulting responses?

"Internet is a tough business." Um...ok? I'll let you know as soon as I figure out a way to monetize posting on teh internetz forumz. ;) (And yes, I realize you were being tongue-in-cheek.)

"I can post whatever response I want." I never said you couldn't.

"...grow some thick skin." I'm not sure if this response is meant for me, as I'm not the one asking the question. Either way, I have thick enough skin to take it (and I'm sure OP does as well), but that's not the point. I just don't understand why everyone has to jump to condescending laughter on message boards. To each his own. I'm out. Peace.
If, at a club meet, car show, etc and a buddy in the club asked this question. I can assure you, my response would be one of laughter at first as would other members. I act no different in person vs. internet life. I found it to be a funny and odd question. You didn't. That is what makes life so good with the freedom we have here, to disagree on things.

OP
OP

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
Hey all the laughter no issues to me at all, it was a thought i had, didnt know the answer to, so I asked.

Ive ALWAYS thought the only stupid question is the one thats not asked.

Thanks to all who replied (including the laughs). I now have more information on this.

SorryOfficer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I didnt realize so many teenagers drove mustangs and hung out on 6g :crazy:

Lowering your car does in fact affect mpg. Just as Chadr0 mentioned, it doesn't have anything to do with pushing the car through air, but the amount of lift applied/reduced.

Some people who drive 100+ miles per day do care about mpg as well as smiles per gallon. Some of us love our cars, and our hard earned money.

My basis-
I've lowered numerous cars, properly, and have consistently seen increased mpg. By numerous cars i'm taking > 5, and the mustang is next.
12 years of engineering which includes flow calculations.
Driving 120+ miles to work everyday in a lowered vehicle that I've seen 2-3mpg gains on.

Your question isn't stupid.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ok 6g engineers, purveyors of the .49% increase that comes from minor changes. if i remove my rear spoiler on my gt/cs, how many mpg's can i gain from that reduction in drag?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I didnt realize so many teenagers drove mustangs and hung out on 6g :crazy:

Lowering your car does in fact affect mpg. Just as Chadr0 mentioned, it doesn't have anything to do with pushing the car through air, but the amount of lift applied/reduced.

Some people who drive 100+ miles per day do care about mpg as well as smiles per gallon. Some of us love our cars, and our hard earned money.

My basis-
I've lowered numerous cars, properly, and have consistently seen increased mpg. By numerous cars i'm taking > 5, and the mustang is next.
12 years of engineering which includes flow calculations.
Driving 120+ miles to work everyday in a lowered vehicle that I've seen 2-3mpg gains on.

Your question isn't stupid.
Sorry. I disagree with your assessment.

I just did a 1600 mile trip in 5 days. 90% of that trip was in the interstate, averaging ~76mph. I averaged 23.4mpg. This is what I always averaged on interstate strips that I have made with my car in the approximate 20 months I have owned my car. I have made 8 trips of over 300 miles in my car that support my 23.5. This was stock height and lowered.

No way, you're seeing a 15% increase in MPG from being lowered.

SorryOfficer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Sorry. I disagree with your assessment.

I just did a 1600 mile trip in 5 days. 90% of that trip was in the interstate, averaging ~76mph. I averaged 23.4mpg. This is what I always averaged on interstate strips that I have made with my car in the approximate 20 months I have owned my car. I have made 8 trips of over 300 miles in my car that support my 23.5. This was stock height and lowered.

No way, you're seeing a 15% increase in MPG from being lowered.
I've yet to lower my Mustang .... think I even mentioned that in my post.

15% on a mustang? No. A 2-3 mpg increase on a VW lowered 3", yes. I average approximately 27-28mpg, with mixed driving (approximately 20 minutes at 25mph, 40 minutes at 75mph). My current VW is lowered with slight positive rake, and aligned properly. Prior to lowering I was seeing solid 25-25.5mpg (30k on the odometer at the time of lowering). I now have 120k on the car.

I don't think anyone here claimed large mpg gains from lowering, especially on a Mustang. But gains nonetheless if its done properly - which is exactly what OP asked.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
There are to many variables that impact mpg, things like, type of weather, temp, headwinds, tailwinds, cars around you vs no cars around you. Tire pressures, type of gas, quality of gas, riding behind tractor trailers (drafting) etc...I dont think you can attribute increases or decreases in mpg on any 1 thing, the impact possibilities are endless!
Sponsored