Sponsored

gas mileage after lowering

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
just got mine aligned after lowering & was thinking. will you get better mileage with a lowered car?

I know the area will not have been changed, but being an inch lower will give less air under the car.

anyone think about this at all or am i overthinking this
Sponsored

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
This a serious question? I'm sure the gas pedal will be the culprit to mileage.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You're still pushing the same amount of mustang through the same amount of air.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Google the supplements you take daily, one or two of them may have been recalled...lol

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS

chadr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT/PP
just got mine aligned after lowering & was thinking. will you get better mileage with a lowered car?

I know the area will not have been changed, but being an inch lower will give less air under the car.

anyone think about this at all or am i overthinking this
Aeronautical engineer here:

It's not the amount of air going under the car, it's the amount of lift that's being generated, because more lift equals more drag (called induced drag). Basically, induced drag is like a parachute of air being pulled behind the car.

The amount of mustang being pushed through the air doesn't affect the above, since the drag generated by the body is parasitic drag, or drag created by the body hitting the air around it.

Long story short, there MIGHT be a change in MPGs from lowering your car, but it depends on how the airflow underneath the car changed. If it's less lift, than you'll get better MPGs, if it's more lift, you'll get worse.

Either way, the difference is most likely EXTREMELY miniscule and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I will now step down from my soap box.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
smiles per gallon > miles per gallon :headbang:

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Aeronautical engineer here:

It's not the amount of air going under the car, it's the amount of lift that's being generated, because more lift equals more drag (called induced drag). Basically, induced drag is like a parachute of air being pulled behind the car.

The amount of mustang being pushed through the air doesn't affect the above, since the drag generated by the body is parasitic drag, or drag created by the body hitting the air around it.

Long story short, there MIGHT be a change in MPGs from lowering your car, but it depends on how the airflow underneath the car changed. If it's less lift, than you'll get better MPGs, if it's more lift, you'll get worse.

Either way, the difference is most likely EXTREMELY miniscule and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I will now step down from my soap box.
It's nice to see someone actually giving a serious, informed answer instead of laughing at the OP's question.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Over on Ecomodder one of the big mods to do to help MPG is to a) lower the car or b) put a front lip that essentially lowers the front of the car. Lift your truck and watch the MPGs suffer (slightly) due to more of the underside/suspension etc being exposed to the air. The difference you will see in lowering the Mustang will probably be ever so slight but technically you COULD see a difference.

Matt

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
It's nice to see someone actually giving a serious, informed answer instead of laughing at the OP's question.
We all know that if there is any increase its so minuscule its not worth mentioning or even starting a thread about it. That's where the laughs come in. Gas mileage is the least of most mustang owners concerns especially with a with a V-8...Its like me starting a thread about how my gt/cs front spoiler makes 20lbs more downforce then the stock gt thread. Does it really matter?
Sponsored