Sponsored

Garaged it =(

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
my god I would die if I couldnt drive it for four months, let alone a few weeks!

Mustang was parked one night I needed to go out last winter. Should have parked it two nights, but we made it home safely on winter tires, 1st and 2nd gear, a pinched arsehole, and an extra two hours on top of the regular commute time
Sponsored

lonerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
EB Premium PP Convertible; Guard w/Saddle
I'm not sure why all this garaging of the Mustang in winter. I have a '15 Ecoboost convertible with PP and just switched out the tires to Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's and no issues unless I stomp on the gas (we live in Colorado just above 7000'). They work fine in 4-6" (what I've driven in so far).

You can read the reviews on tirerack.com. Prior to the Mustang, I had an '07 Miata that when it snowed, I went nowhere. With the Continentals, no problem. :headbang:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
It's a nice day here in Texas. I'm driving it today but may not be driving it much for the rest of the month. Im trying to keep the summer tires from seeing below 45 deg, per recommendation of Pirelli. I could probably get away with a lower temp because the garage is usually 20 deg warmer so they start out ok in the morning and with driving I'm sure they warm up too. I may get some performance all season tires when it's time to change them.

lonerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
EB Premium PP Convertible; Guard w/Saddle
It's a nice day here in Texas. I'm driving it today but may not be driving it much for the rest of the month. Im trying to keep the summer tires from seeing below 45 deg, per recommendation of Pirelli. I could probably get away with a lower temp because the garage is usually 20 deg warmer so they start out ok in the morning and with driving I'm sure they warm up too. I may get some performance all season tires when it's time to change them.
I drove my summer tires in the 20s and 30s without any issue. I checked the tire pressure and didn't see a significant drop from the warmer temp drops (I do keep my car in a garage).

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
car works just fine in snow with real winter tires.
I put my winter tires on after Thanksgiving. It's been 60+ degrees in NYC since then. I'm sure I'm wearing the treads out like mad, but, whatever.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Not sure about everywhere else but in Michigan I also garage mine for winter. I am a great winter driver and my DD winter vehicle is RWD anyway so no issues there. It's the other people who can't drive even on the best of days that drive around these crappy roads that make me put it away. I take my chances when it's warm and everything but when that snow hits people around here lose their freaking minds and forget everything they know about driving. I have a nice dent in my rear bumper from some asshole who hit me parked at the grocery store.

OP I stored mine same day and while I was temporarily glad with the decent snowfall I'm wishing I had it out these passed few 50 degree days!

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You guys from southern climates have no ideal how brutal winter is on a car. You got to scrape ice off the windows, ice and snow are brutal on paint, your wheel wells fill up with ice and salt. I have guys come in here with 6-8 year old vehicles with the brake and fuel lines rotted out--snow looks nice the day it comes down but after a few days the roads are loaded with salt and the crap gets everywhere. Now add all the idiots that cause crashes at the sight of the first snowflake its just better to own a beater for the winter. I live in southern Ontario and we really don't get a lot of snow--it can be 6 inches deep one week and melted the next but if you want to keep your car nice you don't winter drive it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
car works just fine in snow with real winter tires.
You guys from southern climates have no ideal how brutal winter is on a car. You got to scrape ice off the windows, ice and snow are brutal on paint, your wheel wells fill up with ice and salt. I have guys come in here with 6-8 year old vehicles with the brake and fuel lines rotted out--snow looks nice the day it comes down but after a few days the roads are loaded with salt and the crap gets everywhere. Now add all the idiots that cause crashes at the sight of the first snowflake its just better to own a beater for the winter. I live in southern Ontario and we really don't get a lot of snow--it can be 6 inches deep one week and melted the next but if you want to keep your car nice you don't winter drive it.
I have been driving in snow for my entire life, and routinely have cars caked in salt for months on end because it's too cold to wash them off (including my current Mustang). I have never had a rust problem with any car. And I've driven 20+ year old cars for basically my entire life.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
I have been driving in snow for my entire life, and routinely have cars caked in salt for months on end because it's too cold to wash them off (including my current Mustang). I have never had a rust problem with any car. And I've driven 20+ year old cars for basically my entire life.
How about we compare the bottom of your car to mine that never sees snow, salt or rain. :D

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Ontario has the largest operating salt mine in the world. Located on Lake Huron not far from Detroit. It gets loaded on tankers and delivered all of Ontario via the Great Lakes. Consequently, it's relatively cheap and is used much more excessively than in the northern USA. Roads and highways are coated every time it snows. Where a black car turns white. Hence as GuardStang says, the wear and tear is a killer. My vert is now under it's blankie for the winter although it was 60F out today. :eyebulge:
2016 maxima 003.JPG

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
this has been the look in my garage the past 2 winters....although the winter is not starting out as bad this year...
garage.jpg

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
No salt corrosion?!

"JimmyTwoTimes": you have to be one of the luckiest vehicle owners in the northern States. "No rust, no corrosion". After driving and owning in Minnesota for 50 years, I can attest to how fast salt will eat out your car/truck. A lot of the trucks in a big box store parking lot have large sections of their lower doors and fenders totally eaten away. Many others show small rust holes and the vehicles are not even ten years old. I had a Mazda pickup that was undercoated. I took it to a car wash at least twice a month. The frame rails rotted out from the inside out. The only thing holding the rear axle on was the box. By the way it was only 8 years old!

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
"JimmyTwoTimes": you have to be one of the luckiest vehicle owners in the northern States. "No rust, no corrosion". After driving and owning in Minnesota for 50 years, I can attest to how fast salt will eat out your car/truck. A lot of the trucks in a big box store parking lot have large sections of their lower doors and fenders totally eaten away. Many others show small rust holes and the vehicles are not even ten years old. I had a Mazda pickup that was undercoated. I took it to a car wash at least twice a month. The frame rails rotted out from the inside out. The only thing holding the rear axle on was the box. By the way it was only 8 years old!
I can't speak to trucks; nobody here drives a pickup truck unless they're an actual construction contractor. But I've driven 30 year old Chryslers and Toyotas and Fords and what have you's and never had a rust problem, other than slight rust inside dinged body panels where the paint scraped off.
Sponsored