Gains from cylinder head porting?

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Has anyone ported the stock 5.0 heads on a gen 3 motor? I’m wondering what the pros and cons would be. Maybe some torque loss down low and higher rpm hp gains.

I’ve got a Lund tune and headers. If gains are good it might be an option along with ported intake manifold.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Has anyone ported the stock 5.0 heads on a gen 3 motor? I’m wondering what the pros and cons would be. Maybe some torque loss down low and higher rpm hp gains.

I’ve got a Lund tune and headers. If gains are good it might be an option along with ported intake manifold.
Off the cuff;
The Gen3 head flow is nearly the same as the GT350 OEM CNC ported heads.
As KellTrac has pointed out the 18+ 5.0 intake manifold and TB are limiting airflow.
Look into installing the Bullitt or Mach1 induction style system. I’m not sure whose done that swap on the 18+ 5.0’s.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Gains are solid if you go big NA, meaning CJ, cams and lots of rpm. You won't gain that much on the stock cams and stock intake to be really worth the price tag.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
That video was impressive. That 10R80 transmission is amazing. Staying in the 7-8K power band the whole run is what makes this car a beast.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Im doing now.
Swapping my oem 18 manifold for a ported 350 plus TB.
I dynoed the car before. I'll dyno after.
Will report as always Greg☺

Cams can give u up to 20-30 hp and ported head can possible increase a lot that. However is really Tuner related at this point. Cant be a general tune.
Requires fine adjustment to achieve the maximum performance.

Off the cuff;
The Gen3 head flow is nearly the same as the GT350 OEM CNC ported heads.
As KellTrac has pointed out the 18+ 5.0 intake manifold and TB are limiting airflow.
Look into installing the Bullitt or Mach1 induction style system. I’m not sure who’s done that swap on the 18+ 5.0’s.

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Im doing now.
Have you figured out a way to keep the IMRC active without depinning the factory harness or are you locking them out? I installed my GT350 manifold 2 weeks ago and had to lock them out as I could not find any type of jumper harness or factory connectors to make one and not for the sake of not looking hard. Everything I could find was for doing it on a 15-17 and the connectors are different.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Im doing now.
Great to hear.
For most the expense of R&R the heads and porting cost is enough to choke a horse. I’d say what you’re attempting is the best money spent.
Don’t pass up the option at some point to try Mike Soler’s custom TB’s

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Have you figured out a way to keep the IMRC active without depinning the factory harness or are you locking them out? I installed my GT350 manifold 2 weeks ago and had to lock them out as I could not find ay type of jumper harness or factory connectors to make one and not for the sake of not looking hard.
I think if you were to order the Bullitt or Mach 1 manifold the connectors will be correct. I’m not sure though I’m speculating.
For sure the GT350 manifold will plug into the 2015-17 S550’s.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Great to hear.
For most the expense of R&R the heads and porting cost is enough to choke a horse. I’d say what your attempting is the best money spent.
Don’t pass up the option at some point to try Mike Soler’s custom TB’s
Not familiar with it. But I'll take a look for sure.
It is a fine tune btw weight shaving and power add to be still in TT2 category

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
I think if you were to order the Bullitt or Mach 1 manifold the connectors will be correct. I’m not sure though I’m speculating.
For sure the GT350 manifold will plug into the 2015-17 S550’s.
From everything that I can tell from pictures the Bullitt and Mach manifold are the same as the GT350 with the connectors up top. The ones on the bottom where the vacuum valves are might be different but I have not been able to find a definitive answer. There might be a Bullitt or Mach specific jumper harness but nothing that I was able to find looking online. A dealer might be able to assist with that. That or the whole engine harness is different on Bullitt and Mach but that doesn't make sense to do from a cost perspective on fords part.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
From everything that I can tell from pictures the Bullitt and Mach manifold are the same as the GT350 with the connectors up top. The ones on the bottom where the vacuum valves are might be different but I have not been able to find a definitive answer. There might be a Bullitt or Mach specific jumper harness but nothing that I was able to find looking online. A dealer might be able to assist with that. That or the whole engine harness is different on Bullitt and Mach but that doesn't make sense to do from a cost perspective on fords part.
Some hosing rerouting. Nothing impossible.
There are definetely difference with 18.
Also difference in the front of the manifold.

To the ported head question.
i would do cams first.

Screenshot_20220721-171821.png

Screenshot_20220721-171716.png

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Some hosing rerouting. Nothing impossible.
There are definetely difference with 18.
Also difference in the front of the manifold.

The connectors on the 2018 actuators are different and do not have the little "wing tabs" Im second guessing myself on if the connectors on the harness have them now. Once could shave them off with a razor blade but I do not know if the pinout is the same.

s-l1600.jpg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
M
Have you figured out a way to keep the IMRC active without depinning the factory harness or are you locking them out? I installed my GT350 manifold 2 weeks ago and had to lock them out as I could not find any type of jumper harness or factory connectors to make one and not for the sake of not looking hard. Everything I could find was for doing it on a 15-17 and the connectors are different.
My tuner Ken (oztuning) does roadcourse like me with the same car. So he knows. I would recommend to text him on IG
Sponsored