Sponsored

FYI Battery replacement

jdm0926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Had to change the battery in my 2016 GT today. Still under warranty however opted to get a battery with more cold cranking amps. Read another thread the stock battery has 390 so I went with a Bosch 96R with 590 cca.

Car would not start right after after putting gas and got stuck right at the pump. I got the click of death sound, error messages crank exceed time limit, wrench symbol appeared, and see service manual. I figure i could just push it out of the way and asked the pretty cashier if she could steer the car - said nice car and was excited to help. Call for my son to bring jumper cables with the beater Mazda - could not even get the beast to crank. Called AAA. First guy came with one of those portable jump packs - no go. Another AAA guy came with a diesel tow truck with two batteries - that worked.

Removal and Install is easy enough:

1. Remove battery cover by removing three push pins
2. Loosen the two battery post nuts
3. Move the positive and negative battery cables out of the way
3. Remove the battery holder screw and bracket
4. Muscle out the old battery
5. Reverse steps with the new battery

Other:

BEFORE installing the replacement battery, get a flash light and look inside the battery box to see where that long screw with the bracket goes in. This will help you position the screw first as the battery will be in the way.

I could not easily shift from Park to neutral. I barely had enough power to do this.

Pushing the car was not easy.

With a dead battery and your window is down, can't lock the car, can open the trunk - your fooked.

The pretty cashier was happy to steer my car.
Sponsored

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did the new battery fit without any modifications? Do you have a part number?

OP
OP
jdm0926

jdm0926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Did the new battery fit without any modifications? Do you have a part number?
No modifications required. When I first placed it in the battery box the battery was sitting at an angle. I removed the battery and found there is ridge in the back of the box - re-seat the battery in front of that ridge and bingo.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I got the click of death sound, error messages crank exceed time limit, wrench symbol appeared, and see service manual.
I just replaced my original battery, had about 38-39 months on it from my ownership (plus, however many months during build-to-dealer). Had the same thing happen, click/wrench, it had a few hard starts over the last few weeks, one jump after it sat for a week while we were OOT, fortunately it happened down at the grocery, about 2 miles from my house, wife ran down with cables and her DDRT (which has a beastly battery!)

Ran like crap, guess it was in limp mode (I also have a tune, not sure if that compounded things), anyway, I wound up scoring my replacement from Batteries Plus, they have a store local to me (~6 miles away), got a 96R spec Duracell, with a 20% online coupon for buy online with a store pickup. Wound up after my core refund (they took the old battery) like $90, which seemed like a great deal - quick research showed really good reviews for this battery brand (I mean, it's Duracell ...)

Exact same size, dropped perfectly into place (it had a __handle__, what a simple design enhancement that made it much easier to carry and install). Car fired right up, wrench went out immediately, runs strong again :)

Anyone else wants that 20% (the battery is $119.00 retail - I had another coupon show up in my email recently:

upload_2019-1-21_11-48-15.png

Note: it doesn't have a super long warranty, but I've been through quite a few batteries, and that usually is just a pro-rate which winds up not saving all that much money when you send twice as much for the battery up front. YMMV.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Dealer replaced mine last month. Got the click of death as well. When these die, they really go. Out of warranty this February. FYI, I was told the replacement Motorcraft battery the dealer installed is better than the plant version they use when the car is built. Evidently, common.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
With a dead battery and your window is down, can't lock the car, can open the trunk - your fooked.
Actually, you can remove the back of your key fob, pull the metal key out, then slide the end of your door handle off and unlock that way. There IS a physical backup to the electronic system.

JR

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If you want some battery firepower,
XS Power D4700 fits like a glove.
815 CCA
40733159532_3ab444470a_c.jpg
20180311_132034 by chefjpd, on Flickr

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I just had mine replaced just last week, my 2016 CS changed the seat belt warning and backup sensor to a god awful sound, plus my side mirrors would hit the delimiter and would keep clicking, they put it on a computer and there were low voltage readings everywhere, and replaced the battery after 2/12 yrs, couldn't believe it died that fast. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
With all the modern electronics incorporated in these cars there is a huge potential of all types of weird stuff happening when a battery goes low voltage.

OP
OP
jdm0926

jdm0926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Actually, you can remove the back of your key fob, pull the metal key out, then slide the end of your door handle off and unlock that way. There IS a physical backup to the electronic system.

Lucky for me I was inside the car and wasn't raining.

JR
Did you get the cashier's number?
Next time. :}

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I went with the XS Power D1200, but if that ever turds out, then I might check out the 4700.