Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
If you want some battery firepower,
XS Power D4700 fits like a glove.
815 CCA
40733159532_3ab444470a_c.jpg
20180311_132034 by chefjpd, on Flickr
Is the battery cover off just for the photo? I.e., can you put the battery cover on with this battery installed. I've been looking for an AGM replacement that fits with a good solid grip at the base and can still fit in the unmodified and covered battery box.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Is the battery cover off just for the photo? I.e., can you put the battery cover on with this battery installed. I've been looking for an AGM replacement that fits with a good solid grip at the base and can still fit in the unmodified and covered battery box.
Yes, just a pic with the cover off. The cover fits back on perfectly with no modification.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Yes, just a pic with the cover off. The cover fits back on perfectly with no modification.
Thanks for confirming. Based on information from the internet the D4700 (group 47) is basically dimensionally the same as group 96R for width and length, but is 15mm taller than stock. Good to know that extra 5/8" will fit in the OEM battery box.

Time to shop...

The D4700 is pricey and quite an impressive special application battery. Not sure I need that much. I just want AGM for its increased fortitude against minor discharging to cover the dash cam's parking mode recording, not necessarily a monster audio system. Hopefully group 47 AGM's are easy to find and the posts are compatible.

I have been nursing the OEM crapper along for too long...

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I found a group 47 Duracell Premium AGM at Sam's Club for $145. Thought I would give it a try. It fits in the factory battery clamps just fine, but it is actually a little bit taller than the battery box. It appears that the battery cover will fit, but instead of contacting the rubber seal of the battery box it contacts the top of the battery. The increased rise of the battery cover is small enough that it looks like it will still stay in place using the stock plastic clips. I suppose that it won't matter that the battery box cover isn't "sealed" on the gasket anymore since the AGM is completely sealed anyway.

Perhaps the XS Power D4700 is a bit shorter than the full height allowed under the group 47 specification. But I think the Duracell will work out fine.

In the meantime, the battery is being charged up by a stand alone smart charger. When it is finished I'll connect the car terminals and use FORScan to reset the BMS.

The little "status" window on the OEM battery has never had any color in it for me. I have popped the caps and made sure that the cells were full. My car was originally delivered to a dealer in a pretty cold climate (even included the block heater option) and was there over the winter before I came along and rescued it. Maybe the battery had a very hard life before I got the car...

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I forgot to mention that a group 90 battery has the same length and width as the group 47, but retains the lower height of the group 96R. I would fit perfectly; however, I could not find a group 90 in AGM. It seems that the best option for swapping out is still the group 47, if you want an AGM battery.

Sponsored

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
I forgot to mention that a group 90 battery has the same length and width as the group 47, but retains the lower height of the group 96R. I would fit perfectly; however, I could not find a group 90 in AGM. It seems that the best option for swapping out is still the group 47, if you want an AGM battery.
I plan on getting the Group 47 AGM battery, too.

Can you tell me the FORScan to reset the BMS procedure or point me in the right direction as I use FORScan also?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual

Can you tell me the FORScan to reset the BMS procedure or point me in the right direction as I use FORScan also?
Remember that the batteries are not full charged when you buy them. It is recommended to use a smart charger (that can switch between the 3 different charging modes: bulk, topping, float) to completely charge the battery before putting it into service.

In FORScan, there is a tab on the left (windows version) that contains a bunch of test procedures. One of them is the battery monitoring system reset and is labeled as such. Once the new battery is fully charged and installed into the vehicle. Open up and connect FORScan as you normally would and run that test to reset the battery monitoring system.

Also note that the BMS is programmed to self reset under the right conditions. Shooting from the hip, I seem to recall that the vehicle must be off and undisturbed for 8 hours for the BMS to reset itself. While at rest, the current draw on the battery must be below a certain level.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe

Remember that the batteries are not full charged when you buy them. It is recommended to use a smart charger (that can switch between the 3 different charging modes: bulk, topping, float) to completely charge the battery before putting it into service.

In FORScan, there is a tab on the left (windows version) that contains a bunch of test procedures. One of them is the battery monitoring system reset and is labeled as such. Once the new battery is fully charged and installed into the vehicle. Open up and connect FORScan as you normally would and run that test to reset the battery monitoring system.

Also note that the BMS is programmed to self reset under the right conditions. Shooting from the hip, I seem to recall that the vehicle must be off and undisturbed for 8 hours for the BMS to reset itself. While at rest, the current draw on the battery must be below a certain level.
Thanks...I do have a charger with a AGM setting.

I can let my car set for more than 8 hrs. as it's not a daily driver. I'll do the FORScan reset, though.

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
Hmmmm. I have a pretty decent audio system and airbags so I've been looking for a bigger battery than that weak stock battery. Saw this D4700 but I'm thinking of going for the D4800/D4900. I had already chopped up the sides of that black plastic trying to fit another battery in there. So I came across this page and obviously the D4700 fits, the other two should fit of the sides are already gone, theoretically of course.
Any input would be appreciated.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm. I have a pretty decent audio system and airbags so I've been looking for a bigger battery than that weak stock battery. Saw this D4700 but I'm thinking of going for the D4800/D4900. I had already chopped up the sides of that black plastic trying to fit another battery in there. So I came across this page and obviously the D4700 fits, the other two should fit of the sides are already gone, theoretically of course.
Any input would be appreciated.
Since you said any...D3400 should fit if you cut off a short side. It's too wide and starts stressing the plastic enclosure, but there should be enough space for it to sit at the bottom if you remove a side.
IMG_20190522_184740 (1).jpg
IMG_20190522_184759 (1).jpg
IMG_20190310_153823.jpg

Sponsored

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
I actually said different battery models but I'll look up this D3400 as well since you posted a picture of our sitting in that same space. Thanks for the info.

***EDIT. I looked up the specs and it should fit better since I already cut the sides. Plus this had better power than the other batteries which is AWESOME!

Since you said any...D3400 should fit if you cut off a short side. It's too wide and starts stressing the plastic enclosure, but there should be enough space for it to sit at the bottom if you remove a side.
IMG_20190522_184740 (1).jpg
IMG_20190522_184759 (1).jpg
IMG_20190310_153823.jpg

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I actually said different battery models but I'll look up this D3400 as well since you posted a picture of our sitting in that same space. Thanks for the info.

***EDIT. I looked up the specs and it should fit better since I already cut the sides. Plus this had better power than the other batteries which is AWESOME!
Please come back and post your results if you go ahead with it. You'll need a D3400R to have it line up properly with the terminals (like I have in the pics). I just don't have a dremel to go ahead and cut the box like I need to in order to get things to fit.

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
I def. want to try it but I may have to fix a diff. issue first. I'm getting a weird clanking sound from both wheel wells when I go over bumps or rough roads. A buddy told me it may be control arm bushings. $$$

Please come back and post your results if you go ahead with it. You'll need a D3400R to have it line up properly with the terminals (like I have in the pics). I just don't have a dremel to go ahead and cut the box like I need to in order to get things to fit.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
I could swear that somewhere I saw that the "ORIGINAL" battery in 6G Mustangs is a wimpy 390 CCA!!
Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
It's a crappy battery for sure @ezracer

I have ordered the XS power d3400r
Let's see how that goes.
Sponsored