lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
--------
Edit: [SOLVED] I solved this with J-Pipes installed on stock exhaust using 25" length and these summit pipes: Summit Racing SUM-621008-SS Summit Racing™ Exhaust Tubing Mandrel Bends | Summit Racing
--------

I installed a ESS G2 kit on my 17 GT PP1 which was all-stock. I had to remove the stock airbox/tube and I plugged the sound tube in the firewall. Since then, I've noticed a large increase of drone when the engine is laboring in the 1800-2200 rpm range. Unfortunately, this is also right where I drive on the highway in 6th gear. If you get off the throttle, it immediately goes away. It's especially bad if you are on any type of incline going up a hill.

It would seem that something in the way the sound tube was designed might have canceled this drone out when installed?

I'm not interested in louder exhaust, stock is just fine, but I'd really like to take care of this drone. I've changed nothing with the exhaust so far, all stock pieces are there.

Anyone have any ideas or things they know work? I saw the Solo exhaust with jpipes and I could do that if it solves the problem, but I'd much rather solve it with stock exhaust if I could...
Sponsored

Last edited:

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Just add J-Pipes to the stock exhaust to kill the drone ... Cheaper and easier than swapping exhaust.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I installed a ESS G2 kit on my 17 GT PP1 which was all-stock. I had to remove the stock airbox/tube and I plugged the sound tube in the firewall. Since then, I've noticed a large increase of drone when the engine is laboring in the 1800-2200 rpm range. Unfortunately, this is also right where I drive on the highway in 6th gear. If you get off the throttle, it immediately goes away. It's especially bad if you are on any type of incline going up a hill.

It would seem that something in the way the sound tube was designed might have canceled this drone out when installed?

I'm not interested in louder exhaust, stock is just fine, but I'd really like to take care of this drone. I've changed nothing with the exhaust so far, all stock pieces are there.

Anyone have any ideas or things they know work? I saw the Solo exhaust with jpipes and I could do that if it solves the problem, but I'd much rather solve it with stock exhaust if I could...
Try the Steeda H-pipe mid pipe.
In the end you’ll probably end up with a CORSA sport cat back to eliminate the drone.
Honestly, you’ll want higher flowing mufflers vs. OEM now that you’re boosted.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed a large increase of drone when the engine is laboring in the 1800-2200 rpm range.
you shouldn't be in 6th gear unless you're over 75mph anyway (with 3.73 gears). So quit "laboring" your engine and spin it. The MPG in 5th are basically the same. And having gone FI it's not like you give a damn about how much gasoline your engine burns or how much it costs.

My (admittedly NA) tach never sees below 2500 rpm unless I'm stopped and spends most of it's time touching 3000 or more. Yes, in DD operation.

My 6.4l Challenger never sees below 2300, My 4.2l Audi v8 doesn't live below 2800. And the Ecoboost 2.3L is always higher than 2700.

Last edited:

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
you shouldn't be in 6th gear unless you're over 75mph anyway (with 3.73 gears). So quit "laboring" your engine and spin it. The MPG in 5th are basically the same. And having gone FI it's not like you give a damn about how much gasoline your engine burns or how much it costs.

My (admittedly NA) tach never sees below 2500 rpm unless I'm stopped and spends most of it's time touching 3000 or more. Yes, in DD operation.

My 6.4l Challenger never sees below 2300, My 4.2l Audi v8 doesn't live below 2800. And the Ecoboost 2.3L is always higher than 2700.
Hell I hit 6th when I reach 40 and 5th at 25 most of the time. I usually don’t get above 2k until I’m in 6th at highway speed.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hell I hit 6th when I reach 40 and 5th at 25 most of the time. I usually don’t get above 2k until I’m in 6th at highway speed.
What is this the 60s where it was all over by 5 grand? to channel Apple, "you're driving it wrong!" 😀

Coyote doesn't make good power till it's at least spinning 3000.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Just add J-Pipes to the stock exhaust to kill the drone ... Cheaper and easier than swapping exhaust.

Do you have a recommended stainless kit to buy that a shop could weld up?

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Try the Steeda H-pipe mid pipe.
In the end you’ll probably end up with a CORSA sport cat back to eliminate the drone.
Honestly, you’ll want higher flowing mufflers vs. OEM now that you’re boosted.
I'd be fine with doing a full cat back, but I don't want this thing way louder than stock. A bit louder when I'm getting on it would be fine, but my primary thing is when I'm on the highway, I don't really want to hear it. And I want zero drone on the highway in 6th from 70mph to 81mph with 3.73's.

Last edited:

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Just a comment on Solo. I have the cat back on my Trackhawk and it is LOUD! Under 3-4k its not bad, great rumble good tone, no drone, but when I get on it! Cant hear anything. Now I know this is not apples to apples but just some feedback on this type system since you dont want it louder.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'd be fine with dong a full cat back, but I don't want this thing way louder than stock. A bit louder when I'm getting on it would be fine, but my primary thing is when I'm on the highway, I don't really want to hear it. And I want zero drone on the highway in 6th from 70mph to 81mph with 3.73's.
Exactly why I suggested the CORSA Sport cat back.
You could also consider the CORSA Touring axle back.
Drone control starts and stops with proper muffler design.

Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

You sir are a unicorn. Supercharged on a stock exhaust. Nothing wrong with it at all, its your ride, but i cant imagine there are many out there that have made a big investment in motor and havent grabbed the low hanging fruit in the exhaust. Good luck with your drone issue but I suspect its ultimately going to require some exhaust work and once youre into that you might as well take advantage of the available "quiet" options and add another 10-20 hp while curing the drone.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Just a comment on Solo. I have the cat back on my Trackhawk and it is LOUD! Under 3-4k its not bad, great rumble good tone, no drone, but when I get on it! Cant hear anything. Now I know this is not apples to apples but just some feedback on this type system since you dont want it louder.
Thanks. That rules that one out.

Edit:. Was it this one? https://shop-solo-performance.com/e...ch-xv-exhaust-system-50l-ford-mustang-gt.html

Or the louder one? https://shop-solo-performance.com/e...under-exhaust-system-50l-ford-mustang-gt.html

Last edited:
OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
You sir are a unicorn. Supercharged on a stock exhaust. Nothing wrong with it at all, its your ride, but i cant imagine there are many out there that have made a big investment in motor and havent grabbed the low hanging fruit in the exhaust. Good luck with your drone issue but I suspect its ultimately going to require some exhaust work and once youre into that you might as well take advantage of the available "quiet" options and add another 10-20 hp while curing the drone.
Yeah I get it. I'm sticking with street tires 285 all the way around, so 10 more hp just doesn't matter. I generally drive this car around not getting on it but I love bursts of acceleration and blower whine and blowoff valves are so awesome. I'm also 43 and while age ain't nothing but a number, I had a fox with a blown 302 H/C/I, LTs, xpipe and magna flows. I'm past wanting that noise level. A bit more growl is fine, but I don't need it louder.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Yeah I get it. I'm sticking with street tires 285 all the way around, so 10 more hp just doesn't matter. I generally drive this car around not getting on it but I love bursts of acceleration and blower whine and blowoff valves are so awesome. I'm also 43 and while age ain't nothing but a number, I had a fox with a blown 302 H/C/I, LTs, xpipe and magna flows. I'm past wanting that noise level. A bit more growl is fine, but I don't need it louder.
Put the 10 HP to the side and consider ways to mitigate the added supercharger exhaust heat away from the cats while keeping the dB’s down to your liking.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Put the 10 HP to the side and consider ways to mitigate the added supercharger exhaust heat away from the cats while keeping the dB’s down to your liking.
Sure that's fine too. Being that I'm on the bottom pulley and don't do pulls all the time, I doubt I'm going to put the cats at risk anyway. But if I'm wrong then someone let me know. I obviously don't want to being buying new cats because I melted these.
Sponsored