Sponsored

Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’m not sure if this has been discussed before or not.

So I keep seeing car thefts and car jacking on the news. (Mitch Marner anyone). I know of a thief wants your car, they will get it.

However, thinking of putting in a fuel pump kill switch. Certainly can’t be difficult to do...

Couple questions though. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

Would running a BAP throw a wrench into things?

Anyone done this? How did you wire it in? Likely have a toggle or switch somewhere near driver’s side seat controls.

How large of relay is needed and if anyone has done it have any pictures of how you did it? With the pump where it is under the rear seat and the power everything there, it would seem easy but not sure.

So, thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Why would you need a relay? That seems unnecessarily complicated. Just throw a spst switch of your choice into the ground wire.
Easy and no chance of shorting something out.

I'm personally uninterested in going to any great measures. The built in theft deterant is, IMO, enough. As you said, if they want it, it's gone. Keeping it from starting doesn't prevent break in damage and may piss them off enough to cause extra damage.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you need a relay? That seems unnecessarily complicated. Just throw a spst switch of your choice into the ground wire.
Easy and no chance of shorting something out.

I'm personally uninterested in going to any great measures. The built in theft deterant is, IMO, enough. As you said, if they want it, it's gone. Keeping it from starting doesn't prevent break in damage and may piss them off enough to cause extra damage.
Agree. I used to put kill switches in my old rides but with this one I’ll pass.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Just remember that you are interrupting a vital system to run and increasing its chances of failure with every component you add and connections that are usually less than OEM quality. Is the small measure of security added beyond the OEM measures worth the added risk?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just need a switch on the fpdm command signal.

Anything on the ground side needs to be capable of handling the same current as the positive side if you go that route.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The current GTA population is approaching 6M, so I think that the chances of you being targeted is small. That said, we’re driving Mustangs and I don’t feel that I’m a target, given that these guys go after high end stuff, of which there is a lot of, even in my average Toronto neighbourhood. I guess if I was driving a new GT500, maybe, but I’m not.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The current GTA population is approaching 6M, so I think that the chances of you being targeted is small. That said, we’re driving Mustangs and I don’t feel that I’m a target, given that these guys go after high end stuff, of which there is a lot of, even in my average Toronto neighbourhood. I guess if I was driving a new GT500, maybe, but I’m not.
Yea. I get that. But there’s been a lot more lower end - middle road cars taken and high jacked than the high end ones. I know the Marner incident was high end. But reading the police stats shows middle of the road cars are taken more frequently. The Marner incident has drawn a lot of publicity for the crimes. A lot of information has been released that at least I was unaware of.

This was just and idea or thought. Wasn’t really sure whether it would makes things better or worse or even cause an issue. So true. If they want the vehicle they’ll get it one way or another.

I’m an hour from the airport in small town Ontario. And even here and neighboring cities (Guelph, KW, Cambridge) the incidents are actually staggering. Guess I was living in a bubble until the Marner thing and my wife started googling stats lol.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. Back on topic.

Anyone actually done this? Or could be be just a waste not sure. But sounds easy enough. So no relay. But unsure how to go about the actual connections. Put in a single pole high voltage / switch in the ground line I guess would be one way. Not sure about the fuel pump driver module and how to put a switch into that. Like I said, was an idea but maybe not worth the hassle or even if it would make a difference.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
A high voltage switch is unnecessary, your whole car runs on 12V. The thing you need to be concerned with is current capacity. The fuel pump is fused at, I believe, 30A. Any switch that exceeds that capacity will be fine.
I'd be leary of messing with any of the comand wires though they'd likely require a less robust switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Appreciate the knowledge for the switch.

Not sure if I’ll do this or not. Was an idea and wanted opinions. Likely easy enough to do, but weighing pros and cons etc...

Just remembered a funny (now) incident and how fuel switches work well to disable a car though lol.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The odds of my mustang being stolen or even an attempt are so low I don’t spend much time thinking about it. I like the idea of a switch but like someone else mentioned I would be worried that in trying to get the car started they end up doing more damage. If any of my cars get stolen I want them gone. I’ll take my insurance money and replace them. The last thing I want is to come out to a car that has been torn apart and unsuccessfully stolen, or stolen and had the piss beat out of it only to be recovered.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I hear you.

I’ve had a car stolen. Years ago. Had a late class at U of T and came out to find my car gone. Fox body mustang. Vortech. I thought it was just a joke and that my brother was watching and had moved it. For some reason, his keys fit my car so he could open it and start it. Nope. Went to a pay phone (remember those!?) and he answered at home which was an hour away. He came picked me up. Called the cops in the meantime and they basically said that sucks and it’s likely gone. Car was found 2 weeks later with some engine parr’s and the stereo gone. They took the extra litre of oil I had in the trunk and sprayed it all over the interior. What a mess! Insurance covered the cleaning and the parts etc but it never felt the same. It was like I didn’t want THAT car anymore. Violated lol. Sold it shortly after and got another fox. Used again as I was a “starving” university student.

I understand the comments about if they take it don’t bring it back!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I hear you.

I’ve had a car stolen. Years ago. Had a late class at U of T and came out to find my car gone. Fox body mustang. Vortech. I thought it was just a joke and that my brother was watching and had moved it. For some reason, his keys fit my car so he could open it and start it. Nope. Went to a pay phone (remember those!?) and he answered at home which was an hour away. He came picked me up. Called the cops in the meantime and they basically said that sucks and it’s likely gone. Car was found 2 weeks later with some engine parr’s and the stereo gone. They took the extra litre of oil I had in the trunk and sprayed it all over the interior. What a mess! Insurance covered the cleaning and the parts etc but it never felt the same. It was like I didn’t want THAT car anymore. Violated lol. Sold it shortly after and got another fox. Used again as I was a “starving” university student.

I understand the comments about if they take it don’t bring it back!
I hope they got what was coming to them for stealing your fox. I had a friend with a really nice saleen fox years ago that had a vortech on it. Such sweet cars, probably very easy to steal though!

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. Yea, they were not the most secure cars. A simple screw driver could open and start them.
Sponsored