5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Good morning and Happy New Year!

I’ve just hit the 50k mark on my car, and I’m upgrading some misc things, one being the fuel filter. I was wondering if I should go with one of the universal ones from americanmuscle? Or just go to Ford and say I need a replacement OEM filter.

What benefits would I see from going with one from americanmuscle if any? And what do the different sizes mean in this picture?
921CFA42-1CF2-4771-87F9-EA16DBBB65C3.png
Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning and Happy New Year!

I’ve just hit the 50k mark on my car, and I’m upgrading some misc things, one being the fuel filter. I was wondering if I should go with one of the universal ones from americanmuscle? Or just go to Ford and say I need a replacement OEM filter.

What benefits would I see from going with one from americanmuscle if any? And what do the different sizes mean in this picture?
921CFA42-1CF2-4771-87F9-EA16DBBB65C3.png
There's no fuel filter on any S550 Mustang. If I am remembering correctly, the last model year of the Mustang that had a fuel filter was 2010.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The micron number is the filter rating. The XXAN number is the fitting size. Those filters are usually added on a return type fuel system. A return type system is something you usually do going boosted and high fueling requirements. The filter on an S550 is located in the pump and is not serviceable

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
There's no fuel filter on any S550 Mustang. If I am remembering correctly, the last model year of the Mustang that had a fuel filter was 2010.
This is correct.

Sponsored

OP
OP

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Well now I feel like a complete idiot lol thank you guys

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The fuel "filter" on our cars is essentially a sock on the intake of the fuel pump inside the gas tank.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The fuel "filter" on our cars is essentially a sock on the intake of the fuel pump inside the gas tank.
So in order to have it cleaned you have to drop the tank? I would think not doing this occasionally maybe every 50k miles it would need to be done otherwise it may lead to lack of fuel pressure? I'm not a mechanic obviously lol

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
So in order to have it cleaned you have to drop the tank? I would think not doing this occasionally maybe every 50k miles it would need to be done otherwise it may lead to lack of fuel pressure? I'm not a mechanic obviously lol
My 2012 F150 has the same set up and has 193K miles with no fuel problems. But, even though it's a company vehicle, I am the main driver and only fill up with name brand fuel. (Exxon, Shell, etc)

OP
OP

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I feel like this too. Maybe Ford just made it harder for DIY-ers to do it so that more people come in to dealership for it rather than in the past?

Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I feel like this too. Maybe Ford just made it harder for DIY-ers to do it so that more people come in to dealership for it rather than in the past?
Probably Ford saving money on manufacturing and using these same pumps on a wide range of vehicles. Idk to be honest just guessing

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ah.... no, this isn’t the 1960’s any more :giggle: - no need to drop steel fuel tanks or cutting holes into beds/floor pans to make a DIY access hole to the top of the tank.

——

Ford must have taken notes from BMW or other Euro manufacturers... only Ford is about 25 +/ years or so behind the competition...

So for those that don’t know, the S550 (and prior back to 2005) fuel tank is center mounted under the rear seat and straddles the driveshaft. With that said, the fuel pump is accessible by taking out the lower rear seat cushion. There is already an access panel in the floor pan under the seat, remove it and there is the fuel pump and it’s associated wiring harness.

:wink:

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ah.... no, this isn’t the 1960’s any more :giggle: - no need to drop steel fuel tanks or cutting holes into beds/floor pans to make a DIY access hole to the top of the tank.

——

Ford must have taken notes from BMW or other Euro manufacturers... only Ford is about 25 +/ years or so behind the competition...

So for those that don’t know, the S550 (and prior back to 2005) fuel tank is center mounted under the rear seat and straddles the driveshaft. With that said, the fuel pump is accessible by taking out the lower rear seat cushion. There is already an access panel in the floor pan under the seat, remove it and there is the fuel pump and it’s associated wiring harness.

:wink:
Awesome thanks!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
5ohdaddy, out of curiosity, what other items are you replacing at 50K since I'm almost getting there too? Other than tires, oil, filter, air and cabin filters and topping off the coolant I haven't done anything else. I was going to attempt spark plugs at 50K but there isn't many good videos on how to get to them all easily.

OP
OP

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
5ohdaddy, out of curiosity, what other items are you replacing at 50K since I'm almost getting there too? Other than tires, oil, filter, air and cabin filters and topping off the coolant I haven't done anything else. I was going to attempt spark plugs at 50K but there isn't many good videos on how to get to them all easily.
Same stuff you listed as well as spark plugs too. Just normal stuff man
Sponsored