front tire wear question

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
I've read a bunch and see the front end on these are hard on tires, I'm noticing cupping on the inner of both front almost more on shoulder than tread. The tread is wearing pretty even side to side. Front end is stock and it's more daily driver/toy than raced. I am taking it in next week for an alignment check to see where it stands, and it drives good. by hand with tape the toe looks dead on 0 or a tiny bit of toe in, hard to be precise with tape but didn't see any toe out. I have a few thousand miles life left and if there's something I should do I would want to address it before buying new. Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Thanks all. Jim
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How many miles on the tires? what size? My skinnies wore out kind of fast but they were 185 width and barely adequate for the front weight of this car.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also, what brand/model of tires. Are the MP4S? Miles?

Pics of the wear would be good too.

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ive got something very similar on mine. Only 12K miles on the tires and suspension is all stock with no abuse. Post the specifics if you get an alignment check. I'm going to as well and I'm curious if they are similar.

Royal crimson 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt, 2011 Ford Edge,2013 Ford Fiesta
Ive got something very similar on mine. Only 12K miles on the tires and suspension is all stock with no abuse. Post the specifics if you get an alignment check. I'm going to as well and I'm curious if they are similar.
I've read a bunch and see the front end on these are hard on tires, I'm noticing cupping on the inner of both front almost more on shoulder than tread. The tread is wearing pretty even side to side. Front end is stock and it's more daily driver/toy than raced. I am taking it in next week for an alignment check to see where it stands, and it drives good. by hand with tape the toe looks dead on 0 or a tiny bit of toe in, hard to be precise with tape but didn't see any toe out. I have a few thousand miles life left and if there's something I should do I would want to address it before buying new. Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Thanks all. Jim
I have read that the factory alignment on these cars , especially the pp1, is very aggressive to be able to handle the curves . I have a 2018 pp1 and the inside of my fronts are scalloped. I have had it aligned more than once but have since read to not align to factory spec but to get a good alignment shop to adjust correctly to alleviate the tire wear .

Sponsored

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
hard to get good pics. They have just under 13k on them. They are the original MP4S in 255/49/19. Royal Crimson called it scalloped and that is a good description.
20220409_205737.jpg
20220409_205827.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check the alignment when these wear through but thats a /very/ common wear pattern on MP4S, with stock alignment or aggressive camber, same results.

Seems to be an issue with the tire construction/design, because we only see this pattern on the pilot sport series michellins.

Lools like you have a few thousand miles left before these show cord there.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I have read that the factory alignment on these cars , especially the pp1, is very aggressive to be able to handle the curves . I have a 2018 pp1 and the inside of my fronts are scalloped. I have had it aligned more than once but have since read to not align to factory spec but to get a good alignment shop to adjust correctly to alleviate the tire wear .
I'm having this problem as well and now I need a new set of tires (after only 18,000 miles of normal driving with no suspension mods). Interesting that you were told to not have it aligned to factory specs. A Ford tech told me this is a common problem and to put adjusting cams on and then have it aligned with the new tires but after reading your post I'm wondering if I don't have it aligned to the factory setting then maybe I won't need the cams.

Big decisions, and I definitely want to get this right before throwing 2 grand of tires on the car.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, ya I mispoke it'll be next month for the alignment but I' going to request a little less neg. camber and see how that works out

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Thanks, ya I mispoke it'll be next month for the alignment but I' going to request a little less neg. camber and see how that works out
Toe setting is to blame.
Search BMR's Kelly's Street Performance alignment spec. and have your shop hit the numbers listing on the Street Perf. spec.

Sponsored

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Ive still got the pirelli p-zero 255/40/19 on the front with over 17000 miles and they still have half their life. 21 twister orange gtpp
Replaced my rears with continental extreme contact sports 295/40/19 with just over 12000 miles

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Toe setting is to blame.
Search BMR's Kelly's Street Performance alignment spec. and have your shop hit the numbers listing on the Street Perf. spec.
thanks!
Ive still got the pirelli p-zero 255/40/19 on the front with over 17000 miles and they still have half their life. 21 twister orange gtpp
Replaced my rears with continental extreme contact sports 295/40/19 with just over 12000 miles
HMMMMM wonder how the rears wore out so fast🤔

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Reactions: JCN

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
@JCN Go 0.0 front toe or as close as possible. Twist the arm of your shop to hold these spec’s.

AA3E615C-918A-4F21-B100-36A646ED6985.jpeg

Reactions: JCN

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have a similar question but I'd rather not start a new thread.

I'm about to swap to my summer set on my 19' pp1 when I noticed one of the fronts is wearing unevenly on the inside. The other is fine. What puzzles me is the winter tires (which are directional so I figured I'd narrow down which side) are not showing the same wear. Both inside and outside are wearing evenly for all four. I also had my alignment done last year and they said it was fine.

It's obvious just by looking but I used a tread depth gauge as well. The car has 24k on it and I'd guess around 15k of that is on the summer set. I wonder if this goes along with the design issue mentioned.

I'm no expert but I think this tire is shot. Unless someone thinks it could have some life left.
20220410_160857.jpg
20220410_160906.jpg
Sponsored