Sponsored

Front spring install issue

AmiNo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Auto
I'm in the middle of installing springs on the front, took the caliper off but the rotor won't budge on either side. Am I missing something the video shows it coming off with ease
Sponsored

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Once the caliper is off the rotor is not held on by anything. Hit it with a rubber mallet from behind it may be rusted on. Mine fall as soon as the caliper is off

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Mine were stuck on there much more so than I would have expected for as little miles as it had, but do what Renner said...hit it with a rubber mallet to break it loose.

OP
OP

AmiNo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Auto
I ended up using a rubber mallet and hit it from the top and bottom, seems like there was some rust on the lug bolts that kept the rotor on

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
If the rotors were an issue let's hear how much you swore when you were taking the spindle bolts out lol :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

AmiNo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Auto
The spindle bolts were actually one of the easy parts. I put a scissor jack under spindle to take weight off the bolts and they came out pretty easy. Now those stupid auto zone spring compressors, f my life

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i had the same problem with my 2pc rotors last weekend. a lot more expensive to replace these, so decided to remove the studs (still didn't move), disassembled the rotors on the hub and hit the aluminum hat with a rubber mallet a few times all the way around after sneaking some pbblaster between - that did the trick. needless to say, i added a liberal amount of antiseize compound when i reassembled! :)

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
The spindle bolts were actually one of the easy parts. I put a scissor jack under spindle to take weight off the bolts and they came out pretty easy. Now those stupid auto zone spring compressors, f my life
yeah, pain in the butt.. I am about to get back into it of an hour or so. My first mistake was just asking for a "spring compressor". After fudging around for 2 hours scared to death trying to get it to work, I found out i needed the other kind "strut spring compressor" lol.

My new delimma - steeda instructions say widest opening up top (mine 5.5 inches verses 4.5 on the other side), however, it fits perfect the other way around. ohhhh boy

Stay with it bro, I am stuck between two jobs, - Front springs debating if I should order the "strut nut bolt" and removing rear lower control arm (broken) and can pop the spring in at the same time (the last fridge bolt is tuck between cradle and half shaft... I really want to bash my head against the wall. Paying for the crap would have been much easier lol

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
ignore that top bottom spring comment :eek:

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
do you guys use any blue loctite?... I am using on the bolts that have signs of it like the caliper bolts when pulled had blue. is it better to just use on all suspension bolts?

xMAUIxxWOWIEx

"Always go full racecar"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oz
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The bigger the hammer you use the better. I have a giant wooden mallet like the one on donkey kong that gets the job done. Just alternate around the rotor when you are persuading it to fall off... Course I was replacing the rotor after that so I would go with a rubber mallet for sure.
Sponsored