rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1- w/Roush phase 2
Howdy Everyone,

I ordered a universal fit fold and stow license plate frame for My 2020 GT w/pp1. Took a good look under the front end for the first time and it’s all plastic! The kit (from American Muscle) includes what they call expanding rubber washers? I’m curious about others with pp1 that live in states that require front plates like they do here in California. Is mounting one of these frames into plastic using self tapping screws really going to hold up? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

jeff
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I also need a front plate in theory (TX), but have never had any in 30+ years. Never a ticket. Some harassment from TX state troopers, and warnings, but no tickets yet. Having said that, no way I'd put such thing on my car. It's too low for that. You'd destroy it sooner or later. I have my plate in the trunk, along with some double-sided tape, in case I get harassed and have to slap it on the front bumper. The best solution for me would be a sticker that resembles my TX license plate, so I could apply it to the front bumper. It'd be the perfect solution for me. I wouldn't get zapped with radar miles away with the plate's reflective material, and it'd look like a plate without drilling anything, so best of both worlds. Now I just need to find out who does that. Ha ha.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Also in the club of "should have a front plate" but choose to ignore it. I know this isn't a good answer for your question, but it's the lowest effort option by far. I would have a hard time using self tappers in any part of my car.

zhent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Craigs fan here too....
IMGP2452 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all the input very much appreciated. When I discovered there was nothing but plastic under the grill I was very skeptical about mounting this fold-away job I bought. Not to mention I’ve got Steeda lowering springs and this thing would reduce my clearance even further.

I visited the Craig site and am still unclear if their plates are a fit for me. I don’t know if it makes any difference but I also have a Roush phase 2 package and I think they may have changed out the stock PP1 radiator for a larger one when they installed it? Other than that it’s a stock gt front end grill. Thanks.
Jeff

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd leave it off until forced to install the tag.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks guys for all the input very much appreciated. When I discovered there was nothing but plastic under the grill I was very skeptical about mounting this fold-away job I bought. Not to mention I’ve got Steeda lowering springs and this thing would reduce my clearance even further.

I visited the Craig site and am still unclear if their plates are a fit for me. I don’t know if it makes any difference but I also have a Roush phase 2 package and I think they may have changed out the stock PP1 radiator for a larger one when they installed it? Other than that it’s a stock gt front end grill. Thanks.
Jeff
Craig’s mounting bracket attaches to the bottom of the main bumper panel using an adhesive pad. If your bumper is stock there should be no issues. If you’re still concerned give him a call.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I'd leave it off until forced to install the tag.
Yeah that’s what I plan to do for now, but I am curious if the brackets offered at Craigs would work for me? Thanks

jeff

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Are you offering to pay for any tickets OP gets issued? :)
The license plate frame screws onto the mounting bracket and is easily removed. You can’t see the mounting bracket so it’s of both worlds. If you get stopped grab the plate and tell the officer that you just came out a car wash.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The license plate frame screws onto the mounting bracket and is easily removed. You can’t see the mounting bracket so it’s of both worlds. If you get stopped grab the plate and tell the officer that you just came out a car wash.
Lol
Sponsored