ArrowFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 1
Hey guys,
My 2020 mustang gt starting this flapping/clicking noise that happens above 50-55mph from the left front end. Its not engine rpm related its something that happens when the speed is that high. It started happening at like 10000 miles. it almost sounds like a tag on a wire harness or like a plastic piece flapping in the wind. Its driving me crazy I just need to take it in to Ford. Any thoughts before i do?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Maybe the active shudders? Pp1 car or not?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oil filter cover or possibly engine tray loose? Maybe it wasn’t fastened correctly at the last oil change.

Sponsored

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Perhaps someone is messing with you. Have a look around with a good flashlight in the front where you think this sound is coming from especially where someone could reach easily. Did you have your oil changed or any other service performed around the time the sound started?

OP
OP
ArrowFlyer

ArrowFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Na i was driving it across the states and I started in colorado eastbound and noticed it halfway thru. Just a bunch of freeway driving. Wonder if something came up and hit the underside? Or could it be a defective wheel bearing?

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Na i was driving it across the states and I started in colorado eastbound and noticed it halfway thru. Just a bunch of freeway driving. Wonder if something came up and hit the underside? Or could it be a defective wheel bearing?
FOD

OP
OP
ArrowFlyer

ArrowFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I captured the sound from a video by my left foot.

Replicator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (RS3 Clone)
If your car has a block heater(mine does) there is a plug just inside the left fenderwell. Mine knocked around when the zip tie holding it slid back leaving it hanging just enough to smack against the inner plastic shroud. Was very faint but annoying once I picked up on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ArrowFlyer

ArrowFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Guess Ill check for that! I picked up the car in Portland Oregon from the dealer...not sure if it came with a block heater.

Replicator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (RS3 Clone)
Guess Ill check for that! I picked up the car in Portland Oregon from the dealer...not sure if it came with a block heater.
If the car came with a block heater you should have the 120v adapter plug in the glove box/ service kit. That'll save you taking the shrouding off. Unless a previous owner hooked it up and left it hanging that is.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check these areas:

Rocker fasteners:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/psa-exterior-rocker-panel-fasteners.119115/

---

Exterior wheel wells:
Feel around for (or using a flashlight) look for the black plastic "nubs". These are the wheel well liner retainers. If they are loose it allows the wheel well liners to flex or move around against the body.

Turn them clockwise to tighten. Do not over tighten them, just turn them until it feels like it's going to stop turning. Do this to each retainer on both sides of the car front & back. Then go take a drive, see if the creaking noises stopped or subsided.

---

Look under the car for dislodged or affixed labels coming off parts - driveshaft is known to have a large label that once it starts coming off, it does and will cause a "flap" sound. Also check near front end around wheels and under engine area for any wire harnesses that have come out of their loom holders.

Last edited: