Sponsored

Front Damage - HELP/Advise for fixing

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I ran my car against the garage today and was hoping someone could give me some advise if this could successfully be fixed myself.

Thanks in advanced!!
IMG_3816.JPG
Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Can you tell if its through the clear coat? If you only see white and no gray (primer) underneath, it isn't through the clear coat. If this is the case, you can use a medium-cut compound followed by a low-cut compound/finishing polish same thing happened to me (similar damage) and it entirely came out

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you tell if its through the clear coat? If you only see white and no gray (primer) underneath, it isn't through the clear coat. If this is the case, you can use a medium-cut compound followed by a low-cut compound/finishing polish same thing happened to me (similar damage) and it entirely came out

Good to know. It's hard to tell; the picture appears to be white, but when I look at it, it seems to be gray.

How white was yours? I guess I could try the compound. It initially had white paint all over it from the side of my garage; I used Goo-gone and like magic all that came off.

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here is what it looks like after:

Dish Washer Soap Prep, Dried clean
Medium-Cut Compound
Light-Cut Compound
High-Grit, Ultra Fine Polish (Everything was done with a foam applicator by hand)

Sponsored

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great. Did you use a orbital or rotary buffer?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Be careful cutting and buffing on a hard corner like that. The clear-coat isn't as thick on corners as it is on flat or gently sloping surfaces, which is why many detailers will cover them with tape when polishing. I would only tackle that by hand, no power tools.

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I did everything by hand, and just like the person above me said, you want to be careful with that corner, try not to like scrub directly on the corner or you'll blend the corner into a radius, I would buff (by hand) on the flat surface for like 5 seconds and then switch to the curved surface and follow those contours, and then repeat and alternate so you can maintain the clear coats sharp corner as much as possible

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tips; I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, went out for lunch and got some compound. This is my initial results. Some areas I think are down to the primer, but I think it cleaned it up a lot.

Thanks for all the help.
Presentation1.jpg

Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
looks alot better! you could either just leave that or if it really bugs you (i personally cant see any primer in that pic), you could get touch-up paint and go through that process

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do; thanks again. I bought a turtle wax compound and it may have not been aggressive enough, but I'll give it a bit more elbow grease this evening.

Thanks again!!
Sponsored