From C5 to GT

OP
OP

T1up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT / Competition Orange
I cheated and kept my C6 and ordered a Mustang GT Premium, California Special yesterday to replace my Acura.

I Like you am not a GM fan, but I will admit that I love my C6, but I think I will love the Mustang just as much. Ford has so many great products that my fleet is moving back to Ford.
Would have loved to have kept the C5, but that would have meant bailing on the BMW and having no real winter car.
Sponsored

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Welcome.... Enjoy your new ride..... :cheers:

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Welcome. You'll love it.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Would have loved to have kept the C5, but that would have meant bailing on the BMW and having no real winter car.
That's a problem. I have new Escape with the 2L turbo and pickup, so I am ok.

Enjoy your new car!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks Hack.

I've owned a lot of cars, I've yet to find the perfect one with no faults. Perfect example, I had HUD in the Vette, have it in my daily driver, miss it in the Mustang. I'll most likely miss that first really nice spring day where I could put the top down.

Overall, the S550 is a really nice platform.
One thing I really wish the Mustang GT came with is active exhaust. Really a great idea. I drove a Camaro SS with active exhaust and I really loved it. There were a few other things I didn't like, though.

Sponsored

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special
Well, I made the switch from a 2000 Corvette convertible to a 2015 GT. First off I'll say I'm not a GM fanboy. I truly appreciate all performance cars even though I've owned three Corvettes as my spring - summer - fall / nice days fun car.

My first few observations are these; I'm certainly enjoying the lack of plastic fantastic squeaks and rattles so far. I'm enjoying a night and day difference in shifter smoothness. There's no real discernible difference in performance, and that's a good thing. You can only understand the difference in seats if you've owned or sat in a C5 Corvette. Mustang wins the exhaust note battle every time. The body style of the 6th gen Mustang is truly beautiful.

The only issue I've had so far is this; the Mustang clutch made me look like a fool! For those of you that can modulate that clutch with the helper spring, I bow down in awe. I could not for the life of me take off from a start or the 1 - 2 shift without it being jerky. Mine = removed, and it's so much better.

For now, mine will remain stock except for a few cosmetic mods. No need to void any warranties for me. The hood vents are first. The acres of Orange hood need something to accent / break up the color. I've got Roush vents in now, but also have some black OEM take offs I'm contemplating putting in, can't decide what looks best. I'm not so sure the Roush vents even vent. The holes seem covered up.

Lastly, after lurking and reading many threads I'll say this. Compared to the Corvette Forum, this place seems refreshingly civil :clap2::thumbsup:
Firstly welcome! Next, ironically I was thinking about this today. I've been a Mustang guy since I got my license and I love my 16 GTPP but it's so damn heavy. I love how light and quick my c5z feels. It's got full bolt ons so it's really nothing insane but what a machine and the exhaust is something else. I can't wait to get my full arh set up bolted on to really hear this mustang sing. I've got high hopes!

OP
OP

T1up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firstly welcome! Next, ironically I was thinking about this today. I've been a Mustang guy since I got my license and I love my 16 GTPP but it's so damn heavy. I love how light and quick my c5z feels. It's got full bolt ons so it's really nothing insane but what a machine and the exhaust is something else. I can't wait to get my full arh set up bolted on to really hear this mustang sing. I've got high hopes!
I had a Blackwing, LG longtube headers, LG x pipe, C5 Z06 exhaust and tune. For me, after a C4 and two C5's it was time to experience something else.

OP
OP

T1up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I really wish the Mustang GT came with is active exhaust. Really a great idea. I drove a Camaro SS with active exhaust and I really loved it. There were a few other things I didn't like, though.
Originally I was going 2016 Camaro SS, but there was going to be a significant cost difference and since it's a second car I couldn't move past the $8k extra.

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special
I had a Blackwing, LG longtube headers, LG x pipe, C5 Z06 exhaust and tune. For me, after a C4 and two C5's it was time to experience something else.
Yup I hear that. I have a vararam, lg lt's, full corsa and a tune. It's decently quick. I hear you about needing something else though. I was debating on a head/cam package for the vette but I think I'd rather go with a blower on the stang.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I made the switch from a 2000 Corvette convertible to a 2015 GT. First off I'll say I'm not a GM fanboy. I truly appreciate all performance cars even though I've owned three Corvettes as my spring - summer - fall / nice days fun car.

My first few observations are these; I'm certainly enjoying the lack of plastic fantastic squeaks and rattles so far. I'm enjoying a night and day difference in shifter smoothness. There's no real discernible difference in performance, and that's a good thing. You can only understand the difference in seats if you've owned or sat in a C5 Corvette. Mustang wins the exhaust note battle every time. The body style of the 6th gen Mustang is truly beautiful.

The only issue I've had so far is this; the Mustang clutch made me look like a fool! For those of you that can modulate that clutch with the helper spring, I bow down in awe. I could not for the life of me take off from a start or the 1 - 2 shift without it being jerky. Mine = removed, and it's so much better.

For now, mine will remain stock except for a few cosmetic mods. No need to void any warranties for me. The hood vents are first. The acres of Orange hood need something to accent / break up the color. I've got Roush vents in now, but also have some black OEM take offs I'm contemplating putting in, can't decide what looks best. I'm not so sure the Roush vents even vent. The holes seem covered up.

Lastly, after lurking and reading many threads I'll say this. Compared to the Corvette Forum, this place seems refreshingly civil :clap2::thumbsup:
I have no trouble with the clutch pedal now. It just took some time to get used to it. It IS the most difficult one to modulate of the cars I have driven. I even rev match downshifts ok now.

Sponsored

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I have no trouble with the clutch pedal now. It just took some time to get used to it. It IS the most difficult one to modulate of the cars I have driven. I even rev match downshifts ok now.
I have just under 2,000 miles on the car and still struggle with clutch pedal mudulation. I've been thinking about pulling the spring as other have done. Just wondering if there is a down side???

OP
OP

T1up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have just under 2,000 miles on the car and still struggle with clutch pedal mudulation. I've been thinking about pulling the spring as other have done. Just wondering if there is a down side???
There's a massive thread on here somewhere about the clutch spring. Of course you're going to get differing opinions. From what I can see, the downsides are....

1. Clutch pedal requires more effort, but I wouldn't call it excessive and I've had two reconstructive knee surgeries on the left one.
2. If you want to put the spring back in it seems to be more of a pain than getting it out.
3. The clutch pedal sags maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch. While my personal opinion is that it won't wear the TOB, others may disagree.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it took me about 5k-6k miles before I got it smooth. I drive a manual Honda most of the time so it is a slight adjustment going back and forth between cars all the time. I just noticed one day that I was getting it smooth... Muscle memory.

tazor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all of them
Welcome I also had 2 different C5s and always been a mustang guy. Got tired of electrical gremlins, battery acid damage,became a expert on those cars and not for the right reasons, and the mustang forums are the best.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Honestly, it took me about 5k-6k miles before I got it smooth. I drive a manual Honda most of the time so it is a slight adjustment going back and forth between cars all the time. I just noticed one day that I was getting it smooth... Muscle memory.
Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat. My daily drive is a VW Jetta Diesel 6 speed which is night and day compared to the Mustang. Switching between the two is a pain especially with the Mustang because I don't drive it very often, only in nice weather!:D
Sponsored