From 370z to Mustang GT

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Title says it all. With that being said, I loved being able to just “get on it” in the Z and it rode like it was on rails. Obviously the GT has much more HP and a different beast. I want to be able to get on it, but keep reading about them getting squirmy and losing control. I’m sure most is user error but I want to have fun in it. Can y’all give me some pointers?
Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Title says it all. With that being said, I loved being able to just “get on it” in the Z and it rode like it was on rails. Obviously the GT has much more HP and a different beast. I want to be able to get on it, but keep reading about them getting squirmy and losing control. I’m sure most is user error but I want to have fun in it. Can y’all give me some pointers?
What package did you get? Manual? I have a 6 speed pp1 and my God, it's near impossible to get "squirmy". It's lacking down low. The only way is if I really try to launch at 4k rpms.

I'd suggest to find some open area away from people and objects and have fun with it trying to learn its limits.

Regarding people losing control, I'd attribute it to bald tires, slick surface plus dummy driver, someone dropping the clutch at 4k+ rpms, and to repeat myself, a dummy driver.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They have similar power bands. Gt is more front heavy. But with TC on theyre pretty docile honestly especially if you're already used to RWD.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What package did you get? Manual? I have a 6 speed pp1 and my God, it's near impossible to get "squirmy". It's lacking down low. The only way is if I really try to launch at 4k rpms.

I'd suggest to find some open area away from people and objects and have fun with it trying to learn its limits.

Regarding people losing control, I'd attribute it to bald tires, slick surface plus dummy driver, someone dropping the clutch at 4k+ rpms, and to repeat myself, a dummy driver.
Great points - I'd also add the inexperience of some drivers not getting enough heat into tires like those of Pilot Sport 4S and especially Sport Cup 2 variety.

These same "drivers" don't realize that there is not enough heat in the rubber when they go all out, and bad things happen. Great examples of this are all the crashing from the Cars and Coffee pull outs.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
TC makes mine behave. Hard run rolling from 15mph or so in first to high rpms, with a quick shift into second and more throttle, her back end wiggles a some but she keeps going straight for the most part.

And I agree with the above post. At hwy speeds, if I go from 6th to 4th or 3rd and let her have it, the speedo comes at you fast...

Personally, burnouts and such are not something I do. Not a lot of point in it, but a hard rolling run for someone who has never been in the car Ill do. Just normal daily driving the car can get to 50mph with no effort.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I want to be able to get on it, but keep reading about them getting squirmy and losing control.
When ? Mines done everything I asked it to do with ZERO drama. That said, the only major problem with the Mustang is the bag of water between the steering wheel and driver seat.

OP
OP

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
It’s getting delivered tomorrow. How do I make sure TC is on?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I just came from 3 Infiniti G37's in a row, to a 2018 Roush RS2 which is basically a GT Premium PP1 with some extra goodies. I loved the 3.7, but this is a move from a very cool sports car to bad ass muscle car. May sound cheesy, but that's the best way I can describe the experience. Though I loved the sound of the G, the Coyote at that same 7K RPMs is just a very different animal. The G was fast, but it was 5.2 0-60 fast. Not 3.9 0-60 fast and it just keeps pulling until scary time happens in very short order. The G was very predictable in the corners. The Mustang is perhaps a little less so, but does corner very well. I have many years with the G, a few months with the Mustang, so perhaps it's just going to take a bit more time. I know the 370 is more aggressive than the G but the PP1 Stang is very buttoned down. They are just not the same type of car. Both can be fine highway cruisers, or hardcore drivers cars when pushed. But I really do not regret going from the G to the Roush.

Something about that V-8 and how the car makes you feel that is different. It's distinctly American. Though I respect the precision of Japanese manufacturing and yes you will deal with some defects not present in your Nissan. But the "feel" is worth it to me and my Roush has been pretty solid thus far. Good luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Very well said! Thank you for the response. The g/z as you said are both very “cool” cars. Quick and nimble and can take a corner easily. I’m very happy to be getting into a GT and having that muscle far feel. I just hope I don’t drive it like the z or I’ll end up into a ditch.

OP
OP

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
6-speed. Thanks for the response. I’m just gonna take it easy at first and get a good feel for it

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I believe CarandDriver performed a test of the best handling cars under $40,000 back in 2011. The 2011 Mustang with the Gen 1 Coyote and solid rear axle took 3rd place only bested by the Miata and the Lancer Evo MR. The 370Z finished behind the Mustang in 4th place and VW GTI took 6th place.

That should put your mind at ease a little right? :rockon: And the nannies on the Mustang coupled with the IRS on the S550s should make the car feel more composed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature/

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0

Keep TC on at all times lol. Or just go to a big empty lot where there's literally nothing you could possibly hit and get used to the car. Congrats on your purchase!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Very well said! Thank you for the response. The g/z as you said are both very “cool” cars. Quick and nimble and can take a corner easily. I’m very happy to be getting into a GT and having that muscle far feel. I just hope I don’t drive it like the z or I’ll end up into a ditch.
Learn somewhat more throttle discipline than your 3.7L car needed - and use it - and you should be fine. For some of us who grew up where snow was likely, the advice used to be to "drive like there's an eggshell between your foot and the gas pedal". Now while you probably don't have to develop that much sensitivity where you live, it's a fair description of what you're needing to do now compared to before in the other car.

It's crossed my mind that if you can set the driver seat as low as you can live with that it's easier to modulate the throttle in finer amounts than if you have it set at a more chair-like height.

Norm
Sponsored