Formula 1 talk.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There's something I don't quite get. Why must the total number of laps and/or the total duration of the race be set in stone?
If the prescribed race duration happens to expire while the safety car is on the track, then why can't the race be extended by the number of laps the safety car was on track? Wait until the safety car is out, then do two or three extra laps, finish the race under race conditions, and everybody's happy. That would be the most fair way of dealing with such situations. And yet nobody seems to even suggest it, let alone do it.
What's the catch? Why is it so important that the race ends exactly when it was originally supposed to?
F1 has time limitations for races. There are two different to
times. Two hours without a red flag, three hours with one. Points are determined by the race length. That’s what created the fiasco at Suzuka.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
F1 has time limitations for races. There are two different to
times. Two hours without a red flag, three hours with one.
Yes, I know. But why do they have them? Why must they be set in stone?
What would happen if the race ran for two hours and five minutes instead of two hours? Would the race officials miss their last train home?

That’s what created the fiasco at Suzuka.
Exactly my point. That fiasco could have been so easily averted by simply ignoring that arbitrary time limitation. Five more minutes wouldn't have killed anyone.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I know. But why do they have them? Why must they be set in stone?
What would happen if the race ran for two hours and five minutes instead of two hours? Would the race officials miss their last train home?

Exactly my point. That fiasco could have been so easily averted by simply ignoring that arbitrary time limitation. Five more minutes wouldn't have killed anyone.
They do it for

1. driver safety
2. limitation of gas supply without refueling.

At least that’s what this article says.
https://thestadiumreviews.com/blogs/info/how-long-is-a-formula-1-race/

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There's something I don't quite get. Why must the total number of laps and/or the total duration of the race be set in stone?
Broadcast scheduling. When sports run over, channels switch to the scheduled running of Heidi leaving fans hanging missing several lead changes and the Raiders scoring 14 points in 9 seconds..

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-heidi-bowl#:~:text=November 17-,TV viewers become outraged as football game is cut off,watching the movie Heidi instead.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Broadcast scheduling. When sports run over, channels switch to the scheduled running of Heidi leaving fans hanging missing several lead changes and the Raiders scoring 14 points in 9 seconds..

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-heidi-bowl#:~:text=November 17-,TV viewers become outraged as football game is cut off,watching the movie Heidi instead.
Seriously, did you have to remind me of that? My dad almost threw his shoe through our new color TV!

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Seriously, did you have to remind me of that? My dad almost threw his shoe through our new color TV!
I have fond memories. My RCA stock jumped 24% following that.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; When they stopped refueling during a race the number of laps and or running time set a limit the teams could use to calculate how much fuel to add at the start. They have to figure for an amount left to be tested at the end of a race.
So, the teams cut it as close as is possible to save weight. They simply cannot run extra laps on the calculated fuel load. It is my understanding most teams do not add enough fuel to be able to run at full engine power for two hours. So, at times during a race the drivers must save fuel with settings or other fuel saving tactics.

An answer would be to red flag a race during a safety car episode. That way the fuel issue would not be a factor. If a safety car/red flag takes 15 minutes the cars are stationary and not using up fuel. I can see several ways this will be criticized. But it might be a way to have races finish under race conditions.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Thanks but please don’t leave the thread just because of one poster’s obsession with 2021.

Save the thread, ban the poster!! :explode:
Hello; Heard a new term for those who want to cancel or hush a voice not liked. It is being a "buzzkill".

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They do it for

1. driver safety
2. limitation of gas supply without refueling.

At least that’s what this article says.
https://thestadiumreviews.com/blogs/info/how-long-is-a-formula-1-race/
I don't buy the driver safety thing. I'm sure the drivers would be perfectly able to do two or three more laps. I really doubt they calculated with extreme accuracy that after 1 hour 59 minutes the drivers have reached their absolute physical limits, and at 2 hours sharp they must stop, otherwise they pass out and die. If that's really the case, if F1 drivers are really unable to drive more than two hours, then it means that the two hour limit was too high to begin with. Maybe they should set the limit to, say, 1 hour 45 minutes, so that they can extend it a bit when necessary.

As for gas, just let them fill up during the race, like they could in the Nineties. What was wrong with that?

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello; When they stopped refueling during a race the number of laps and or running time set a limit the teams could use to calculate how much fuel to add at the start. They have to figure for an amount left to be tested at the end of a race.
So, the teams cut it as close as is possible to save weight. They simply cannot run extra laps on the calculated fuel load. It is my understanding most teams do not add enough fuel to be able to run at full engine power for two hours. So, at times during a race the drivers must save fuel with settings or other fuel saving tactics.
The race should not be about saving fuel. It should be about being as fast as possible, period. Forcing a driver to make all sorts of compromises (and to be ultimately slower) just for the sake of fuel consumption is stupid and harms the sport.
Let them burn as much gas as they need.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As for gas, just let them fill up during the race, like they could in the Nineties. What was wrong with that?
One reason:

https://www.google.com/search?q=f1+...5AhkQ_AUoAnoECAMQBA&biw=1547&bih=898&dpr=1.25

Split seconds in the pits can and do win races. That's why tire changes today can be done in 2 seconds.

To save time, fuel was pumped in with such pressure, the slightest equipment failure or human error could be a disaster. And with today's budget caps, the costs would be a factor. The equipment to connect and pump the fuel so fast cost obscene amounts. Not to mention, these days, the powers that be don't want such conspicuous reminders to viewers that these are fossil fueled.

Others include the toxicity of F1 fuel at various times. A whiff was probably worse than drinking Camp Lejuen water your whole life.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
OK, so let's ruin the sport just because of one accident.
Shit happens. Accidents happen. It's the nature of the sport.
Vlad, take a Snickers bar (American TV commercial, look it up). :giggle:

The time limit is the time limit. That’s what they set years ago so that’s what it is. The good news is that it is rarely used. As far as fuel, there were numerous accidents. And accidents on the track are inevitable. Accidents in the pits are unacceptable.

By the way Nascar and Indycar both have gas refueling. I cannot tell you how many races are effected by fuel saving. It sucks when this happens. In F1 they go all out for the entire race. Their cars can hold enough fuel to do it.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Vlad, take a Snickers bar (American TV commercial, look it up). :giggle:
I know it, we have it here as well. 😁

By the way Nascar and Indycar both have gas refueling.
So, it can be done. If Nascar can, there's no reason why F1 couldn't.

In F1 they go all out for the entire race. Their cars can hold enough fuel to do it.
OK then, make them have enough fuel for N+2 laps instead of just N. Precisely to cover such situations, should they occur.
Sponsored